Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2005, I rode from my home town of Lanett Alabama, to the Arctic Circle and Coldfoot Alaska. Round trip was 10,063 miles.

Coldfoot is the mid-way point that the truckers stop at on the show Ice Road Truckers.

I stopped there at the truck stop and got gas and ate.

This was done on my 3rd of 6 Honda Goldwings. It was a 1989 GL1500.

Here's an account of my adventure. Trip To Alaska's Arctic Circle

I bought my first Harley Davidson back in July. A 2014 Ultra Classic. I am hoping to do this trip again next year on it!

By the way, this Harley is the most awesome machine I have ever owned!!!

·
Former Lurker
3,281 Posts
Mine was Columbia, SC to Toronto and back. Not sure of the miles.
Not much compared to the Arctic circle.
Some asshat knocked over my bike at a hotel near Pittsburgh.
Some Honda Goldwing riders chased him off, found me and helped me get her back up and going...

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Boomer wins.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,742 Posts
June, 2011, Mississippi Gulf Coast to PCG via Carlsbad, NM, Lost Wages, NV., thence to Washington and eastbound through Spokane to Big Sky, MT. (by Yellowstone); north to Bozeman and then eastbound to Deadwood, SD and Sturgis, east to Murdo and south to Oklahoma City, where we picked up I-40 to Memphis and then back to the house. Close to 14K for the ride.

·
Registered
982 Posts
June, 2011, Mississippi Gulf Coast to PCG via Carlsbad, NM, Lost Wages, NV., thence to Washington and eastbound through Spokane to Big Sky, MT. (by Yellowstone); north to Bozeman and then eastbound to Deadwood, SD and Sturgis, east to Murdo and south to Oklahoma City, where we picked up I-40 to Memphis and then back to the house. Close to 14K for the ride.
Hell kd, I could do that trip easy if you gave me 8 to 10 months from start to finish to do it.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,742 Posts
Hell kd, I could do that trip easy if you gave me 8 to 10 months from start to finish to do it.
Took us about 3 weeks including a few days to play around at Big Sky/Yellowstone

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
1982-parsons, ks. to Vancouver, b.c., via Vancouver island. about 5500 miles, and about 2 1/2 weeks. we took our time, explored a lot of backroads along the way. met some really good people! was riding a 650 maxim Yamaha. a buddy was on a wing. had a BALL! man, a street glide would have made for a smoother trip!
regards,
dave

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
May 1973, Honda CB500 Four. Two up (with first wife). Hampton, VA to Twin Falls, ID, then to Mesa, AZ, then to Shelby, NC, then to Hampton, VA. Burned up three weeks of leave after Vietnam. Approximately 5600 miles. Bike had 6K on the clock by the time I got back. So, side trips and running around towns added about 400 miles.

June 1995, the Great Fry Bread Tour. Kawasaki Voyager 12. Solo, with riding buddy (he rode a BMW). Pullman, WA, to Chinook Pass, WA. Then to Yakima, WA - John Day, OR - Boise, ID - Duck Valley Indian Reservation - Elko, NV - Ruby Valley, NV - Ely, NV - Great Basin National Park and Lehi Caves - Beaver, UT - Zion NP - Virgin, UT - Zion NP - Bryce Canyon NP - Glens Canyon NRA - Ute Indian Reservation - Mexican Hat, UT - Monument Valley - Navajo and Hopi Indian Reservations - Holbrook, AZ - Canyon de Chelly Natl Monument - Second Mesa, AZ - Winslow, AZ - Flagstaff, AZ - Grand Canyon NP - Fredonia, AZ - St. George, UT - Pioche, NV - Ely, NV - Elko, NV - Boise, ID - Pullman, WA.

Total of about 2600-2700 miles in about 12 days. Learned the value of sheepskin, fuel injection and just being in the wind. Had some of the best fry bread there is.

July 1993, Yamaha Virago, about 2K run from Pullman, WA to the Rosebud Reservation and back.

July 1994, Kawasaki Voyager 12, two up with daughter, a bit over 2K from Boise, ID up through Lowman, ID - Stanley Basin, Salmon, Challis and through the Bitterroot country to Glacier. Bear Tooth pass. Yellowstone NP and home.

March-April 2014, Fat Boy, Solo and about 1600+ miles in 8 days. Spokane, WA - Lewiston, WA - Riggins, ID - Weiser, ID - Boise, ID - Pocatello, ID - Island Park, ID - West Yellowstone, ID - Bozeman, MT - Butte, MT - Spokane, WA.

Not done. Plan more.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Twice this year I have ridden to San Antonio, TX to visit my son. No interstate roads; all two lane roads or old US Hwy system. Four days travel down hitting VA, WV, TN, AL, MS, AR, LA, TX. Spend a week with family; eat some barbeque; play some golf; spoil my granddaughter. Four days travel to return home through TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, VA. Eleven states; eight days travel; 3200 miles +/- without side trips. While there in October, I was able to add the Twisted Sisters in the Hill Country.

·
Wayward Son
23,866 Posts
Around 3000 miles. My old haunt in North Central Ohio to Key West.
Would have been great if it were a stop and smell the roses kind of trip. But was a "business" trip.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,723 Posts
Rantoul Illinois to mesa arizona and back
Was long time ago and I was 19 yrs old. A friend had moved out there from Illinois and one day his mom called me and ask if I would ride his 77? Kaw kz 900 out to arizona for him... I would be riding out there with his Dad and six of his dads friends all of them on touring bikes

Catch was I had to ride back on back of his dads bike. I didn't mind to much :what?
But I assure you this much..it was a long ride back :eek

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,742 Posts
Catch was I had to ride back on back of his dads bike. I didn't mind to much :what?
But I assure you this much..it was a long ride back :eek
Touring bike riding bitch....not bad if he let you drink beer all the way home.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,723 Posts
Touring bike riding bitch....not bad if he let you drink beer all the way home.
:biking:
Good thing was the guys like to party..so it did take several days to get back..LOL
I almost didn't ride the kz 900 out to friend cause didn't want to be riding bitch..LOL
And thought about staying out there for a while and getting home some other way. Anyway one for record books:)

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I have not taken a long trip yet...the longest I've done (and the better half) was the outer banks from my house in eden nc...then we went down the outer banks to Wilmington nc and then back to eden..That was about 1100 miles for the weeks vacation.

One day I'll make a long trip...but until then I'm going to enjoy burning the road up around here

·
Registered
336 Posts
676 miles from the Lehigh Valley to Virginia beach, we went down 11/15 by gettysburg, through fredrick md then to 95 and over.
Came back up across the chesepeak bay and 13 through Delaware then up 95 into nj at trenton then up 29 to 519 and home.
No cross country trek, but far enough for us and a nice time. Only ate a couple of bugs on the way and 1 pigeon ;-)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts