Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing tires on my 2010 Electra glide. I saw that the spacer between the wheel bearings were loose. Since these are sealed roller bearings and not tapered, my question, is since sealed bearings aren't preloaded like a tapered bearing, is the spacer just to make it easier to put the axle in ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The spacer rides against the inner race of each bearing so when you tighten the axle you don't crush the bearings.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your saying that the spacer should not be loose between the bearing ? I could move mine between the bearings, then the preload is set when you install the bearings in the wheels, I can see when you torque the axle nut it presses on the outer race of the bearing, I can't see that the bearing being pushed farther into the wheel then the edge where the bearing sits. Or am I looking at this wrong.

·
Banned
71 Posts
So your saying that the spacer should not be loose between the bearing ? I could move mine between the bearings, then the preload is set when you install the bearings in the wheels, I can see when you torque the axle nut it presses on the outer race of the bearing, I can't see that the bearing being pushed farther into the wheel then the edge where the bearing sits. Or am I looking at this wrong.
Your inner and outer spacers should both be on the inner race of the bearings, not the outer race .

How much play is in the inner spacer ???

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your inner and outer spacers should both be on the inner race of the bearings, not the outer race .

How much play is in the inner spacer ???
That's what I thought, I don't remember how much, I just remember that I could move it around with my finger and back and forth some. The original owner had the dealership install Hd chrome wheels on it when he bought it.
I just assumed that the play in the spacer is how it is supposed to be since the HD mechanic would have to install the bearings, I did notice on the invoice, it had the chrome wheels and a bearing installation kit charged to it. My guess would be different wheels different installation kits, that would set the play right.
How much play should there be? It kind of got me thinking after reading all the wheel bearing problems they have,
So do you install one bearing then the spacer then the other bearing, check the play in the spacer, remove a bearing, get a different spacer, install the bearing again then check the play, is that how you set one up, ( before I get it, SM is on order ). I just can't see the wheel squeezing in that far to make contact with the spacer on the play I think I have now,

·
Banned
71 Posts
That's what I thought, I don't remember how much, I just remember that I could move it around with my finger and back and forth some. The original owner had the dealership install Hd chrome wheels on it when he bought it.
I just assumed that the play in the spacer is how it is supposed to be since the HD mechanic would have to install the bearings, I did notice on the invoice, it had the chrome wheels and a bearing installation kit charged to it. My guess would be different wheels different installation kits, that would set the play right.
How much play should there be? It kind of got me thinking after reading all the wheel bearing problems they have,
So do you install one bearing then the spacer then the other bearing, check the play in the spacer, remove a bearing, get a different spacer, install the bearing again then check the play, is that how you set one up, ( before I get it, SM is on order ). I just can't see the wheel squeezing in that far to make contact with the spacer on the play I think I have now,
Basically thats how its done, there is a shim kit to set the space between the bearings .
I don't have the book handy right now, but I'd think .003-.005 is all .
You really don't need to have any sideload on those type of bearings .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks , Got it, I know I have more than .005 play in the spacer because I could move it off center of the bearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts