Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a product that will bring my wheels back to life. I have the Brushed Finish Cast Aluminum wheels that come stock on the Road King Customs.

My wheels have brake dust flakes that have taken root in the cracks and crevices of the brushed finish. It almost looks like my wheels have mold on them.:eek: I've tried conventional wheel cleaners and even used Mothers Chrome Polish today with a toothbrush to try and clean them out. They still look pretty bad.

Any ideas?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I assume your wheels are bare aluminum, or the brake dust wouldn't be so deeply infiltrated. Nothing will get the dust alone off but many "mag wheel cleaner" caustic chemicals will take off a thin layer of the metal, and that's pretty much what it'll take to get well entrenched dust off.

I saw an article on care of aluminum wheels, the question of which wheel cleaners were actually taking off a layer of metal came up, the answer was easy, if it takes off brake dust it's taking off a thin layer of metal. They are spray on, maybe brush a little, and spray off.

This doesn't sound very appealing I know, but short of some sort of abrasive blasting, that's about the only option. That's why powder coating is so popular. The other option that's much less permanent is clean 'em once and clear-coat 'em, then you'll have about the same problem in a year or so, and the caustic cleaner won't work on the clear coated wheels.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I used to use a etching product from Eagle 1. It was made for the bare aluminum wheels, and like Nathan said it removed the dust and I'm sure a very thin layer of metal. The wheels were on a 65 mustang and were the Torq Thrust D series wheels. The difference with mine was they did not have the dark grey centers as with most. The Eagle one made them look brand new. You can get it at most automotive stores, just be sure and follow the directions.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
i have used mothers.. and i have also used maas.. both worked well with a power ball

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
I used to use a etching product from Eagle 1. It was made for the bare aluminum wheels, and like Nathan said it removed the dust and I'm sure a very thin layer of metal. The wheels were on a 65 mustang and were the Torq Thrust D series wheels. The difference with mine was they did not have the dark grey centers as with most. The Eagle one made them look brand new. You can get it at most automotive stores, just be sure and follow the directions.

Good call this product is the one to use.Then like
3OM said a good polish(power ball is good)followed by a hand polish to get polish out of the corners and it will be Bitchin.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keep it Clean! Just saw a link to Armor-All's Wheel protectant. I'll try it soon's I get my new UC.....but it looks like Rain-X for alloy wheels; keeps the dust from sticking and corroding in the first place.....

·
Señor Member
19,724 Posts
Jax, when you get a minute, head over to "new to the community" and introduce yourself. Maybe share a pic or two of your scoot. Good luck with the wheels, and welcome from Illinois.

·
Señor Member
19,724 Posts
Nevermind. Just saw the date on the original post and it was his only one. Long gone by now, I suspect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts