Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have any experience trading a bike in for another. If dealers are willing to make deals happen in the slow months are they typically aggressive with the trade in value or does it suffer due to them having to sit on it until riding season.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I think it varies alot depending on the dealer myself . One of the dealers here was VARY generous with a trade for mine as they were trying to move 14 SG's at the beginning of Aug which is still mid season around here.

By contrast the other dealer was reasonable but $2500 less for my bike.

Shop around is your best bet.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Don't know the answer exactly... But in my experience I had a nice 2006 ultra classic with 20k on the clock... This was September last year when I traded for my 13 limited... I went to one dealership... The one I wanted to deal with and they only offered me 9500 for trade in... And nothing off the 13 limited ( the same week the 14 came on the floor) they were not willing to budge...

On the other hand I went to another dealership that same week and I they gave me 13500 for my old ride and 2500 off the new one... Couldn't pass that deal up!!! So shop around... Be willing to walk out... If they want your business they will earn it

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
The best time to trade your old bike in is when your buying a new one....:) but right after Christmas bike sells tend to slow down at my dealer, and they get pretty motivated to trade and sell...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Don't know the answer exactly... But in my experience I had a nice 2006 ultra classic with 20k on the clock... This was September last year when I traded for my 13 limited... I went to one dealership... The one I wanted to deal with and they only offered me 9500 for trade in... And nothing off the 13 limited ( the same week the 14 came on the floor) they were not willing to budge...

On the other hand I went to another dealership that same week and I they gave me 13500 for my old ride and 2500 off the new one... Couldn't pass that deal up!!! So shop around... Be willing to walk out... If they want your business they will earn it

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Wow.. That was an awesome deal. Good job:thumbsup

·
Registered
18 Posts
April/May, when folks are out looking for a new/used bike, and they won't have to inventory your trade for 2 or 3 months.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
April/May, when folks are out looking for a new/used bike, and they won't have to inventory your trade for 2 or 3 months.
But you are also buying at their peak season, so they don't deal as much. You might get a little more for yours, but you might also pay a little more for theirs.

The truth is different dealerships play the game in different ways. Some offer what appears to be a high offer for your trade and ask more for the bike you are buying. Others play the game the other way. The give you are more realistic wholesale number for your bike but also sell their bike at a better price.

In the end, the difference is all that really matters.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
^^^This.

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
To try and get around their games as much as possible, have them price out what you may buy separately. THEN have them look over your bike and tell you what they give you for it IF you trade it.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Or get them to look at your bike first then see what they have. On a truck I had, I went in and got the trade deal set and a piece of paper confirming the price. they screwed around with me and I left. I came back a week later and talked to a different sales guy found a truck worked the deal, got the final price and then pulled out the trade in slip for my truck. Sales guy got all pissed off like said he needed to rework the pricing. I said get the manager. I said I want that truck at this price he worked out MINUS the trade in value for my truck. I said subtract my truck number from the new truck and that's what I'm going to pay right now. 12k minus 3 k equals 9k, that's what I'm going to finance. If you can't figure it out, I go to Toyota. I got the truck for 9 K

·
Registered
614 Posts
Today is the best day, at least it was for me. Actually worked the deal out Friday but the deal was finalized today and I took the bike home. Got retail trade for my 2010 EGC and 1k plus freight and prep off my new 2014 Ultra classic. This was the second dealer I went to, first one offered me the same trade value but no money off the bike, just no prep or freight also. I took that trade in number from the first dealer and went to the second and asked them to match it which they did.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
the best time to trade them in is when there about to blow. other wise why trade them in.
mine is with me for ever. told the kids to put in the whole with me. They replied we all ready were daddy. i got some great kids.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Today is the best day, at least it was for me. Actually worked the deal out Friday but the deal was finalized today and I took the bike home. Got retail trade for my 2010 EGC and 1k plus freight and prep off my new 2014 Ultra classic. This was the second dealer I went to, first one offered me the same trade value but no money off the bike, just no prep or freight also. I took that trade in number from the first dealer and went to the second and asked them to match it which they did.
Similar to what I did... got mine last Thursday (Aug 28).

I made a list of what I wanted (bike, part numbers for the add-on I wanted)... and sent the list to three dealers (all this by email, filling out the internet request that they have, and a few phone calls)... so all done from the comfort of my chair and computer.

I told them that I had sent the same list to the other dealers. I treat them with dignity and respect... I just wanted to let them know that they were competing for my business.

I got the financing approved before hand... and also asked them to better the rate if they wanted the finance deal... got 3.99% which is not too bad on a bike (I did try to get 1.99 or 2.99...)

It helps that there are a few dealers around not owned by the same person... East Orlando HD, I-4 HD, South Orlando HD are owned by the same person; Seminole HD, Ocala HD, Space Coast HD are owned by the same person; etc.

It helps that I have visited these dealers in the past. And the folks there know me. And with sales guys, finance guys etc. moving around between dealers, they know that I am not BS-ing them when I tell them that I am serious about wanting to buy.

That is how I was able to get the best deal (or a fair deal imho).

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
I'm gonna go see my dealer tomorrow about a possible trade 2014sgs for 2015 rgs...

:what? :loco

I spy a conversion in the makings!!

With what you have invested I figured you'd be locked into the SGS for at least a couple of years, not weeks! :laugh Good luck man, I hope you can get a decent deal going.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts