Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My way of travel to in the morning presents bright sunlight as does the ride home at dusk. Even with sunglasses on and a tinted reflective shield, the glare from the sun can affect me constantly throughout the trip or suddenly and without real warning. Yesterday was an example of a ride home with a big and very bright sun as the centerpiece of the view ahead for eighty percent of the way - about 40 minutes on 45 & 55 mph roadways. It was near blinding at times with stark contrasting shadows from roadside buildings and trees. Every once in a while there would be a bit of relief as trees blocked it and then, bam! it was back in my eyes again!

What do you do in these circumstance?

·
Enigma
217 Posts
I never encounter the monring sun, but the afternoon/evening sun, I would go to Borders bookstore and "shop" till the sun was no longer a hazzard.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I've got the morning sun beatin down on me when I come to work too. I usually try to look at the right edge of the road while still seeing whats coming at me, and if that isn't working well I just use my left hand over my eyes just like you would when playing ball or what not.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The sun in your face is a bit hazardous but you can slow down a bit to give yourself some more reaction time. I find that the right sunglasses( not necessarily expensive ones) work pretty good. I use ones designed for boating. They were $15.00 and work very well. The more dangerous scenario while being more comfortable on you is riding with your back to the sun. This means all the cagers squinting into the sun cant see you very well.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
If my ride was that consistently into the sun, I believe I'd mod my helmet's windscreen as a two-tone sun visor by putting a piece of metallic tape, electrical tape or even duck-tape across the eyeline so I could see the road right in front of me, but nothing above the road.

A little more classy approach might be to use one of the window tint materials, I'd choose the reflective mirror type . If you haven't ever applied the stuff, it's just a sheet of tape, you mix just enough detergent with water to make it slightly slick, spray the screen, and apply the tint material and the soapy water allows you to move it around, put the helmet on and adjust the view until it is what you want, then use a squeegee or soft cloth to push out all the water, put the windscreen in a quiet place, like a parked car in the sun, until the water can evaporate, check it a couple of times a day and if any bubbles have appeared, use a soft cloth to push them out. If your helmet's windscreen comes free of the helmet it would probably be better to put the tint on the inside.

A small piece of black electrical tape carefully placed across a pair of sunglasses right above the eyeline would do the job nicely too. On either the helmet or the glasses, you could cut the glare completely by just tilting your head downward until the barrier is in the right place to snuff the glare.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Continually shift your focus, looking "around" the light source as much as possible.

One of my old racing buddies, Paul Vondrak has a fantastic removable product... check out www.polar-optics.com - tell him I sent ya!

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I agree. Polarized glasses are the way to go. Straight sunglasses just cut down the total light, whereas what you want is to cut out the glare.

Having an opaque strip at the top of your visor is probably a good idea, too, so you can block direct light as well. Only needs a half inch or so at the top of your field of vision.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I like that window tint idea. Can it be purchased in smaller sheets?
Sorry Lil, haven't been payin' enough attention.
The tint is pretty cheap, I haven't bought any in many years but I've seen it at auto parts stores, Pep Boys, etc, some is gold tint, some variety.

For the sun blocker job you need, I'd be looking for something different than what is legal darkness for street vehicles. This ebay sale is 5% light getting through, that's pretty opaque. The darkest street legal tint is 20% I think, and even then it is for back windows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIRR...63689QQihZ007QQitemZ170148828648QQrefidZstore

Maybe you could stop by a window tinting shop and talk them out of a piece of scrap, all you need is a piece they trimmed off a job.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry Lil, haven't been payin' enough attention.
The tint is pretty cheap, I haven't bought any in many years but I've seen it at auto parts stores, Pep Boys, etc, some is gold tint, some variety.

For the sun blocker job you need, I'd be looking for something different than what is legal darkness for street vehicles. This ebay sale is 5% light getting through, that's pretty opaque. The darkest street legal tint is 20% I think, and even then it is for back windows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIRR...63689QQihZ007QQitemZ170148828648QQrefidZstore

Maybe you could stop by a window tinting shop and talk them out of a piece of scrap, all you need is a piece they trimmed off a job.
No rush, thanks for replying!
I like the tint shop idea. The guys at a place family has used are pretty good. I'll check with them next time I'm out that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it's a constant thing you experience, as it seems to be, then the safest advice I would give would be to alter your departure times. 30 minutes earlier or later can make a world of difference in the location of the sun as to where it's blinding you at...and just realize this would change as the year cycyles seasons.

Pack breakfast instead of eating at the house...and get to work 30 minutes early to eat it.....or see if you can forego an hour for lunch of the boss will let you leave 30 minutes early and only take 30 minutes.

Many ways to adjust time, depending on your job. :)

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
If it's a constant thing you experience, as it seems to be, then the safest advice I would give would be to alter your departure times. 30 minutes earlier or later can make a world of difference in the location of the sun as to where it's blinding you at...and just realize this would change as the year cycyles seasons.

Pack breakfast instead of eating at the house...and get to work 30 minutes early to eat it.....or see if you can forego an hour for lunch of the boss will let you leave 30 minutes early and only take 30 minutes.

Many ways to adjust time, depending on your job. :)
Good advice.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Morning can be done, but there is no way to leave early. As my trip is just about an hour, I've been searching for an alternative to staying late. You are right, it is the most simple and safe advice as alternative routes are not that good.
Thanks!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I sent this link to Lil, but just for the record, if anybody else has this problem, here's a $15 solution I found.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=44E24745-BFA1-4122-9CD9-29C28855C8D8

Universal Helmet Sunblocker

Early morning and late afternoon rides just got a whole lot more bearable thanks to the original Helmet Sunblocker. Its an ingenious strip of film that slides on to the inside top part of your helmet visor using a little soapy water. Once dry, it stays in place, giving you 100% UV protection, reduced glare and a cooler helmet. Its removable and transferable, too!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I agree. Polarized glasses are the way to go. Straight sunglasses just cut down the total light, whereas what you want is to cut out the glare.

Having an opaque strip at the top of your visor is probably a good idea, too, so you can block direct light as well. Only needs a half inch or so at the top of your field of vision.

Holy smokes. I can't disagree more. Don't ever wear polarized lenses where you might encouter ice or ever sometimes unexpected water on the road. The lenses can make them all but invisible. I know some manufacturers make polarized glasses they market towards motorcyclists, but I think you will find a lot of people warn against it.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have largely stayed away from polarized lenses because of the distortion perceived by me when wearing them, especially when driving or looking through a face shield. Road snakes turn rainbow color as do other oily spots and the sunshielding built into windshields gets very spotty.
That being said, polarized glasses certainly do the job of managing the sun I am contending with better than some other type sun glasses, but the distortion still perturbs me. The original Revo glass was the best for me. Too bad they don't market it any longer.
The blotting out of the light defraction that Mike is referring to is something I've noticed. Living in snowy & icy terratory it is not necessarily the best way to go. Black ice can be much harder to see with them on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts