Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of these threads center around a natural wonder of sorts. Not this one!:) Where am I? Give me the name AND address!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Sneaky. Devious. No idea. Looks like you're packed for a long ride. I think. Can't tell what's in the window. Don't think you passed by Milwaukee on the way to Colorado, but that would be a key address and the back drop is red brickish. Doesn't look like a notable Cincinnati destination, nor Colorado. Can you tell I'm thinking out loud? Ha!

My guess...

Harley-Davidson
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be giving hints. It is possible a local may know it, so I'll wait a little.
Steve, a swing an a miss, but I can tell you kept your eye on the ball, and that is important.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I see that we do have members that live in this city. As long as we were talking baseball, this city does have a major league baseball team. And here is the big one: It is a restaurant, and the food is smokin good.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Oooo. Nicely measured tip of the hand. Hmmmm...

Well, in lieu of other responses, and using my weak powers of deduction, combined with sheer guess work...

1). Knowing you rode from Cincinnati to Colorado last summer, and seeing how the bike appears to be packed for a trip...

2). Knowing the cities with baseball along the way would be St. Louis and Kansas City...

3). Knowing St. Louis isn't known as well as Kansas City for smokin food...

4). Knowing there are members here from the K.C. area...

5). Knowing your image has a red brick backdrop...

6). Knowing there are window awnings in your image...

7). Knowing Google and typing in "famous kansas city bbq"...

8). Finding an image with the red bricks and and window awnings. Drum roll... I'm going with this place :):

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

BTW... if we connect in CO on a ride there's a place ten minutes from here called "Hog Heaven", and it is!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Graet Job!!!!
I'm a big BBQ fan. I make my own sauces and rubs, but am still trying to master the smoking process. I love eating at local restaurants anyway, so when I was planning my trip to CO, I made sure I could plan a stop at Kansas City to dine at one of the greatest BBQ restaurants in the world, Arthur Bryants(And tour the Harley plant too). From their webpage:

This BBQ legend was founded in the early 1920's, by Charlie Bryant, Arthur's older brother. When Charlie died, Arthur took over and moved the BBQ restaurant to 18th and Brooklyn, just four blocks away from Municipal stadium, the home of the Kansas City Blues, followed by the Kansas City Athletics. Municipal Stadium was also the first home of the Kansas City Chiefs. With the move near to the ball park, it became a nationally known eatery. Major league players ate there and fans would stop in before the games to eat on the premises or take out to the ball park. The fame of Arthur Bryant's grew. Then renowned author Calvin Trillin declared in Playboy magazine that "...the single best restaurant in the world is Arthur Bryant's Barbeque at 18th & Brooklyn in Kansas City."
For BBQ historians:
True to tradition, barbecue here is dry rub-spiced, slow roasted hour after hour over a pit of hickory, and slathered up all around with some of the smoothest, richest, sweetly tangiest sauces in all the world. Thickest, too, for that matter. Traditional Carolina barbecue sauce consists of a mix of peppers in a bottl of vinegar. Traditional Texas sauce takes a tomato base, thins it with Worcestershire and vinegar, and adds a lot more hot peppers.

But Kansas City "took the best of both worlds," according to Rich Davis, by putting in Midwest tomatoes and coming up with "a sauce that doesn't fall off the meat into the fire." The result: a medium spicy, tomato-based sauce, "with molasses for character and body, not just sweetness."
I thought I had memorized the directions to the restaurant when I arrived in KC. But I was wrong. I ended up riding around the neighborhood for a while, but I COULD smell that I was close.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Sweet. Will make it a point to stop by Arthur Bryants while in K.C. someday! And for sure, if making it out to CO again let's stop by Hog Heaven. It is highly rated. Hey, what do you think of Cincinnati's Montgomery Inn and its ribs/BBQ sauce? Maybe you're the connoisseur, but I think it's excellent!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the Hog Heaven website http://www.hogheavenbar-b-que.com/home.htm. Looks like my kind of place. I bet it blows away that crazy hot dog stand. Count me in next time.

I like Mongomery inn sauce. I keep some in the fridge. The ribs at the Inn are not true BBQ, as they are boiled/broiled not smoked. But that doesn't bother me. I like them. But if you want really good BBQ in the Cincinnati area, you have to go to the Crestview Hills (2807 Town Center Blvd.
Crestview Hills, KY 41017) location of Hoggy's http://www.hoggys.com/index.cfm . I used to go to the original in Columbus while at OSU. I'm glad they opened one down here.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Great lead! Will look for Hoggy's and the Crestview address on a map! Didn't know Hog Heaven had a web site. The links at the web site didn't appear to work so here's an image of the place. My kinda place. Informal. Coincidently, my wife and daughter are in town today and bringing Hog Heaven home for chow tonight. :).

·
Registered
679 Posts
STEVE...you are too smart for your own good ;)

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Darn, and I thought it was the Bagger Division Chaps n' Beanie society meeting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts