Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have one of those days?
Last Sunday, coming back from the rally in Guadalajara, early morning about 07:30. It was about 45 degrees out and I´m first in a group of 10 bikes.
We were on the Autopista (Mesican interstate), and the bike was running great! I opened her up to about 150kph (93mph) and let her rip. Loaded down with clothes and the Wife on the throne. Nothing but good highway and the whole day ahead to ride.
After about an hour of running like this we made a stop before passing a toolbooth.
One of the other riders dismounted and came over to my bike and pointed out that the air filter had fallen off.:eek:

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What to do?

So, what do you do in this case when the nearest HD dealer is a couple of hundred miles away and closed?

In my case, I opened up my saddlebag and got out a sock. We put the sock over the inlet tube and cinched it up with a couple of zip ties.This should prevent my bike from ingesting any large feathered creatures or 2 X 4´s encountered during the rest of the trip.:thumb

I thought I got a photo of this but could not find it. You will have to take my word for it. I used a black sock as well as black zip ties because I read somewhere on the internet that black was faster.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Anyway, it got me home....

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Damn......that SOCKS..............:D

Good MacGuivering on the road, Vettster!!

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyway, it got me home...

Once I got home, it was off to the dealer.
No filter. (surprise:eek:) They said they could probably get me one in a month or two. (Maybe:lol8)

On the way to the dealer, I passed our local Autozone store. I figured what the heck. It´s worth a try.

Here´s what I found.....

A filter:

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But wait a minute....

That filter has a 3¨ inlet on it and the bike has a 2-1/2¨ inlet.:banghead

I´m also gonna need a reducer....

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

How about a plumbing supply house, they have all types of reducers? Never mind, I'm was half asleep.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another hurdle.....

Now, I have the reducer to fit to the bike but how do I attach the reducer to the filter?

A trip to Home Depot got me this:

(It´s a PVC inspection plug. Basically a short piece of 3¨ PVC with one end plugged. I put some duct tape on it for a guide and cut the plug off with my Dremel tool.):mwink

I was too cheap to buy an 8 foot piece of PVC. Besides, what am I gonna do with the remaining 7´9¨ of PVC?

Attachments

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

A 1/4" thick piece anything wrapped around the intake tube, in between the filter and the intake will work.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And that got me to where I had....

A filter, complete with adapter and reducer ready to install on the bike.:thumb

Attachments

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
a piece of 2 and 1/2 inch pvc cut short and split down one side should be a good reducer as long as it is black pvc.Would`nt want to slow down the momentum with white or worse yet grey.:nod:nod:mwink:lol8:lol8
split it down one side so it can shrink to fit the carb when the clamp is tightened.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put it on...

Installed with the ugly screw clamps rotated to the inside:

Attachments

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
That worked out well....

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don´t know...

I don´t know if I´m going to keep it on there or not. The jury is still out. I might replace the filter with the original one if I ever get back up to the States :USA:eek:n a shopping trip.
In the meantime, this one will get me by and you have to admit, it is different.:thumb
I might oil it with some K&N oil I have laying around.
The filter cost about 40 bucks. Probably have 50 spent with the adapter and PVC coupler.
This filter is shorter than the SE one. It moves around less so it should stay on there allright.
Time will tell. Now off to ride.:ride

Attachments

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Bring spare parts, Had friends that went to Mexico on a fishing trip in a pickup.
Luckily three of them. Fuel pump went out. Ended up with one of those cheap gas siphon tubes with an accordian pump. One drove while the other two took turns pumping till their hands got tired.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and Nylon ties........
Don´t laugh....
Duct tape and Nylon ties are a standard part of my tool kit.
Two years ago in the middle of Mexico a clutch cable broke on my BMW R1100 GS.
Took the cable out of the sheath and reversed it. On the clutch end, I tied a knot and with nylon ties attached it to the clutch fork.
Got me to the next town where I purchased a universal clutch cable in a Honda shop.
My Macguyver repair worked so well I never got around to installing the universal clutch cable. :)
Made it home and ordered and installed an original one.
The universal cable is still in the pannier on the bike in case I ever need it someday.:lol8

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention. It's a little known fact that Vettster is the father.

Nice work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts