Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says. The company i work for is building a new DC in the Fort Worth or Dallas area.

I don't want to live In the city. So what's a good place within a 30 minute drive of each city?

Most of the time we get a 6 month heads up. This time we got a two year heads up because it far from home and not easy to take weekend trip to look at houses

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Weatherford is a nice town that might fit your needs. Bear in mind the traffic in Dallas is really bad. Living in Dallas you will likely have more than a 30 minute commute to Ft . Worth and vice versa. Plan on 60 minutes or morebif you live out in the 'burbs.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Weatherford, Denton, and Waxahachie are all outside the madness zone while still being not too small. And nipplesurfer is right, Dallas traffic is horrible. Ft. Worth is a little better, a little.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the small towns. My population were I live now is 6,000. And takes 20 minutes to drive to work.

Don't want to deal with jam packed traffic like the Ca Bay Area.

We're going to make a trip this summer to see what each towns like. That were looking at.
Just glad there giving us more time to look and thing about transferring.

Wish they make up there minds were it's going up. It would make it easer to narrow it down.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
Look me up when you get here.

Unfortunately, you are not likely to find anything that matches that description to a T.

You will either need a lot longer commute to get out of the populated areas or settle into a bigger town.

Unless you are freaking loaded $$$$$ and can afford to buy a huge plot in the seclusion or Randol Mill Road (it's like nowhere smack dab in the middle of DFW).

D & FW are 40 miles and yet world's apart. FW will be a lot more "small city" feel to it.

I live in Grand Prairie. I bought there strategically 11 years ago for it's location and price. It's central and the downtown area is starting to revitalize (time for me to capitalize). I bought a 3BR/#BA w/2 car garage condo built in '76 for $63k. They are about to build a new water park within 2 miles and Hard Rock is building a hotel with an INDOOR ski slope about 5 miles. I stand to make a little on it.

I now work (for the last 2 years in Plano). Takes me 35 minutes on the tollway at 75mph at 6 am. Going home is 1 to 2 hours. Rain? Make it 3 (and on the bike, that is miserable). I plan to move North of Plano. Commute might be the same, but a better chance of a small town feel.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would drive farther than live in a big city.
As for price we could do 300k but I plan on retiring in 10 yrs so keep it under 200k still make it possible.

The wife will drive me nuts looking at places. She plans to fly out there when she finds a few to look at.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the wife has a lot of research to do. If we can get what we want and not have a house payment would be great.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Allen, Frisco, McKinney are growing areas that you might like but it would be a longer drive to Fort Worth. I live in Plano which is a nice area but a lot more people. Where ever you end up, welcome!!!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
If you are lucky it will be FTW. If that's the case then perhaps Weatherford to the west, Maybe Rhome to the north and possibly Burleson to the south.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Without knowing at least where the new job is located , it's hard to recommend an area to live in . Hopefully the Bosses will give you some more information in the near future .

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Look me up when you get here.

Unfortunately, you are not likely to find anything that matches that description to a T.

You will either need a lot longer commute to get out of the populated areas or settle into a bigger town.

Unless you are freaking loaded $$$$$ and can afford to buy a huge plot in the seclusion or Randol Mill Road (it's like nowhere smack dab in the middle of DFW).

D & FW are 40 miles and yet world's apart. FW will be a lot more "small city" feel to it.

I live in Grand Prairie. I bought there strategically 11 years ago for it's location and price. It's central and the downtown area is starting to revitalize (time for me to capitalize). I bought a 3BR/#BA w/2 car garage condo built in '76 for $63k. They are about to build a new water park within 2 miles and Hard Rock is building a hotel with an INDOOR ski slope about 5 miles. I stand to make a little on it.

I now work (for the last 2 years in Plano). Takes me 35 minutes on the tollway at 75mph at 6 am. Going home is 1 to 2 hours. Rain? Make it 3 (and on the bike, that is miserable). I plan to move North of Plano. Commute might be the same, but a better chance of a small town feel.

Dude! Move to McKinney! We could all hook up so much easier!!!! And it's growing so you could dbl your money again!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When they let me know where for sure. I can look more seriously at places.
Would like a few acres with a shop for my toys.
Can't say who it is yet. But people in fort worth and McKinney and two other towns might hear about it soon.

There real secret about buying land to build on. Most of you probably never heard of them.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Pleasant Grove sure sounds like a nice area......:draw

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I was in Frisco a few years ago when my son was playing football, and I really liked it. The folks there were awesome. It's very conservative, to my liking, and the weather is nice. The water tastes like shit, but other than that, I could live there.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Indeed. That can get you a very nice house for sure.

Was looking on the web. House or way cheaper there.

With out knowing we're it's going to be built. I don't want to get to caught up into finding a place just yet

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Mansfield, Desoto, Duncanville areas. Great jumping off point for nice country rides and to the Hill Country.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts