Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring/early summer my wife and I want to take a trip from southeast Ohio to Gatlinburg. Right now I don't have any storage. I'm just wondering what I should do, I am riding a 2004 Wide Glide with a luggage rack. I've told my wife she will have to pack lite but still kinda lost on how to make it happen smoothly. Saddle bags? A large bag on the back? This will obviously be my first long trip so any help will be good help.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
There are many options for tour packs that can be secured to your luggage rack. Some of those packs will accept an additional day bag attached to the top. Your necessary emergency tools can be condensed to fit in a fork-mounted bag. In any event, think like you are going on a backpacking trip. Ingenuity in bike packing is part of the adventure. The most important thing to bring are your wits and a clean credit card, along with a roadside service plan. Enjoy it!

--
P.S. Keep in mind the gross load capacity of a Dyna (not as much as a touring model) and the fact that the bike will definitely handle differently 2-up and loaded.

--

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Read - Packing for a three week trip. It is under Active Topics.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
remember..

space bags are your friend! for many reasons..

they save space but also keep your clothes dry just in case you lose a rain cover!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying to find the gross load capacity. I currently weigh 182 and my wife is about the same so I will be wondering how much I can get on the bike.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Visit T Bags.com for ideas.
Hell you will not have to go over a weigh scale. I quit worrying about GVW a long time ago. I am over 300 lbs and my wife is probably 160 so just put some extra air in the tires.
One thing about Harley they understand that there are some large(er) people on the planet and have a higher GVW than almost any other bike made.
Heck I would have to cut off a leg to make the GVW on some bikes.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm trying to find the gross load capacity. I currently weigh 182 and my wife is about the same so I will be wondering how much I can get on the bike.

There is a tag on the frame of the bike with that information. It is also in the owners manual.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
This spring/early summer my wife and I want to take a trip from southeast Ohio to Gatlinburg. Right now I don't have any storage. I'm just wondering what I should do, I am riding a 2004 Wide Glide with a luggage rack. I've told my wife she will have to pack lite but still kinda lost on how to make it happen smoothly. Saddle bags? A large bag on the back? This will obviously be my first long trip so any help will be good help.

Gatlinburg is great. We are heading back down this year as well, in August.

Lots of options for packing, already some good suggestions.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Load capacity is about 420 lbs. Check on your frame for the specs as already mentioned. Good Luck

·
Registered
826 Posts
we stayed here one year. I attached the link. Very reasonably priced. They cater to bikes. Tellico Plains. About 90 minutes from gatlinburg, but the ride is cool. You are also very close to the Cherohala Skyway. A really nice ride.

Mountain View Cabin Rentals

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you know where your staying call them and ask if you can ship your stuff there so it's there when you get there. Just bring what you need on bike for the trip

·
Registered
16 Posts
Remember the higher your pack is the more it acts like a sail! Lesson learned the hard way. You will have to drive conservatively.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are Viking bags one of the best options? I was thinking of some saddle bags and maybe even a sissy bar bag. They look like they are well built and the saddle bags come with the mounting hardware which seems like a pretty good deal.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
How many days will you be on the road? If it's good riding weather you can fill your jacket pockets with socks and undies and then tie it across the handlebars. Be very careful tying things like jackets on the back. I've heard stories of sleeves getting in the rear wheel and causing crashes.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Are Viking bags one of the best options? I was thinking of some saddle bags and maybe even a sissy bar bag. They look like they are well built and the saddle bags come with the mounting hardware which seems like a pretty good deal.
I don't want to cause trouble, and I might be wrong about it, but seems to me there were posts in the not too distant past about Viking Bags. I cannot recall the details but what I remember is that the info was not at all flattering and caused me to mentally scratch that company off of my list of places to do business with.

If any of you remember any details previously posted about Viking Bags please share. Or, if you have had good experiences with the company and their products please share that as well.

I am posting this for general information and, because I believe this was a serious matter, as a heads up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts