1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Under the flat lower frame, as far to the front as you can sensibly get it, ie: leaving a little room for error.

Avoid any lugs or other excresences which would unbalance the thing, so all four contact points (two per leg of the jack) should hit the frame at the same time.

Getting it as far forward as possible puts as much of the engine weight between the jack legs as possible so the bike will not want to tip forward.

Personally I use a pallet lifter, but the principle is the same.

PS: When you lift it off the kickstand, the handlebars will normally be turned to the left.

When you drop it, make sure the handlebars are turned to the left, and you have your foot on the kickstand. If they are turned to the right, the bike will fall to the right, which is not a good thing.

Please don't embarrass me by asking how I know :rofl:

PPS: Watch that the jack doesn't come up under the exhaust(s). Lifting the bike by the exhaust system will break something.

·
Registered
39,434 Posts
Yes.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
:rofl:

Lil, it depends on what you are trying to get at. The jack hardware (handles etc) should be on the opposite side of the bike than you are working on normally.

Sometimes it doesn't matter, like if you are working on the front end.

In general, it is easier to put the jack in from the left (kickstand) side, simply because when you let the bike back down it will be coming towards you and you have the stand under your foot which makes it less likely you will drop the bike without the stand down :D

As I said, I personally use a pallet lifter, partly because my bike is too low for the jack to go under the frame unless I ride it up onto wooden shims, but mainly because the lifter hardware is much further away from the bike, so I can comfortably work either side no matter where the lifter is.

And the flat jack cover gives me somewhere to rest my beer :D

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...In general, it is easier to put the jack in from the left (kickstand) side, simply because when you let the bike back down it will be coming towards you and you have the stand under your foot which makes it less likely you will drop the bike without the stand down :D...
That Pete is just the advice I wanted! Thank you

Since you all know jack sh!t ( couldn't resist :rofl: ) how about some sage advice on placement of the tie down straps. I have the ratcheting sort.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
That Pete is just the advice I wanted! Thank you

Since you all know jack sh!t ( couldn't resist :rofl: ) how about some sage advice on placement of the tie down straps. I have the ratcheting sort.
on my V I loop these things around the top tree (it would work good on the handle bars too) and they work great!!! and as for the rear, just find somewhere on the frame.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts