Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the years I've been riding, I've never been to Sturgis. So I know many of you have and I plan on going this year, I'll probaly tent camp but don't know where to stay. Don't think I want to be involved in all the drunken revelry at the Buffalo Chip and I would love a shower and maybe some shade. Any ideas from those who have been there, done that?

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
First time I stayed at a hotel in Rapid City. Second time I went blind and stayed found a lady that opened her front and back yard with a toilet and shower in the back yard at 20 bucks a night. The last time I went with my buddy and we took the Monico Motor home and towed the Polaris quads and stayed at Buffalo Chip all week and cought rides to Full Throttle a couple times.

To me the best way to go was without plans and find a house offering camping. That's the hardcore way maaaaan. ( :

·
Registered
870 Posts
I stayed here 3 years in a row.

Bear Butte Creek Campground

It is across the hiway from The Chip. Rates are reasonable, bathrooms are always clean, I have NEVER lacked for hot water in the shower. They serve breakfast and dinner and the prices are REASONABLE. Live music every night, but you can camp far enough away from it that you don't hear it. I have never even worried about making a reservation, they have lots and lots and lots of campsite and unlimited shade. It is a much more laid back crowd. They encourage hellraisers to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stayed here 3 years in a row.

Bear Butte Creek Campground

It is across the hiway from The Chip. Rates are reasonable, bathrooms are always clean, I have NEVER lacked for hot water in the shower. They serve breakfast and dinner and the prices are REASONABLE. Live music every night, but you can camp far enough away from it that you don't hear it. I have never even worried about making a reservation, they have lots and lots and lots of campsite and unlimited shade. It is a much more laid back crowd. They encourage hellraisers to go somewhere else.
That sounds like my kind of scene. Thanks, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glencoe camp. Stay in "Bike Only" area. Areas away from campground road are quiet. In the evening the road turns into tixxy ally. Hot showers. Lots of shade.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I thought Glencoe was Party Central.

Was gonna try there next. :nod

·
Registered
222 Posts
I thought Glencoe was Party Central.

Was gonna try there next. :nod
That it is, but you can get away from the madness if you need some quiet time.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Best of both worlds. :thumbsup

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are looking for quiet try Hog heaven. We stayed there a couple times and its about a 1/2 a mile from downtown.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts