Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that winter is about to come to an end here in the north east what else would I be thinking of but heated riding gear. I used battery operated gloves and glove liners this past winter, but neither generated enough heat for my liking. That being said, can anyone recommend a certain combo of 12v heated jacket and gloves that are affordable and work well. Gerbing seems to be the number one brand, but there are other manufactures out there and a lot of different models too. I'm hoping someone who has experience with heated gear could help narrow the field a bit for me. Thanks!

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
Gerbing gloves, I don't have a heated jacket...yet. What ever you do get the dual controller, it allows you to dial in what temp you like, also allows you to plug in something else, because once you get comfy, your gonna find out what else gets cold.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just bought (3 weeks ago) the new HD jacket and gloves and I'm beyond thrilled with them!! Un-freaking-believable!

Not the cheapest but if you factor in that you don't have to buy a separate control unit it helps even it out.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I just bought (3 weeks ago) the new HD jacket and gloves and I'm beyond thrilled with them!! Un-freaking-believable!

Not the cheapest but if you factor in that you don't have to buy a separate control unit it helps even it out.
I second this! It is outstandiing quality and function/ I bought the pants too.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I have Warm & Safe liners (gloves, jacket, pants, socks) and couldn't be happier with my purchase. Heated gear allows me to keep riding even when the cold temperatures and the even colder wind chill would previously keep me home.

As mentioned, dual controllers allow you to control how much heat for each item individually. In my case, I have (2) dual controllers so each of the four items has it's own temperature setting.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I too am from Long Island Late2. I tried on the heated jacket liner and gloves at the Harley dealer today. The salesman actually convinced me to wait till the fall to buy heated gear. Makes sense since the weather will be warmer soon and the gear will just sit for months. I did like the fit and quality of their stuff. They didn't have the heated jackets in stock, just the liners. Did you get the gauntlet type or the shorter gloves?

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Gerbing....Have the complete set up..permanate mounted dual controller, socks, pant liner, jacket liner, g3 gloves...heated gear is amazing....heated gear is evpensive.....heated gear kicks ass...I would rather ride when its in the 30's and 40's than 90 and 100*...no matter what brand you buy...the best advice I can give you is..........You must get FITTED for it...fit is everything....I will repeat myself FIT is everything..when you go to a good Gerbing dealer they will have racks of all different sizes.....they will mearsure you and fit you for your gear...kinda like you where buying a suit for a weding...try it on...you will not be able to wear your tightest ass pants with the pant liners, or your tightest fitting boots with the socks...it's a learning thing...but you will figure it out and will love it.......great investment...and I used the word investment...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Gerbing gloves and jacket that I wear under my Fox Creek Leathers. I tend to wear insulated overpants and good thick socks in my Goretex boots and never needed to spring for the heated pant liners and socks.

I bought a few of the dual controllers that I attach to the side of my bike with either Velcro or zip ties depending on the application. I then need the Gerbing curly extensions so that it reaches. I had no luck wearing the dual controllers and I don't want to permanently attach.

I ride all year with the exception of ice on the ground.

Here are non-Harley setups from last year.

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
Gerbing....Have the complete set up..permanate mounted dual controller, socks, pant liner, jacket liner, g3 gloves...heated gear is amazing....heated gear is evpensive.....heated gear kicks ass...I would rather ride when its in the 30's and 40's than 90 and 100*...no matter what brand you buy...the best advice I can give you is..........You must get FITTED for it...fit is everything....I will repeat myself FIT is everything..when you go to a good Gerbing dealer they will have racks of all different sizes.....they will mearsure you and fit you for your gear...kinda like you where buying a suit for a weding...try it on...you will not be able to wear your tightest ass pants with the pant liners, or your tightest fitting boots with the socks...it's a learning thing...but you will figure it out and will love it.......great investment...and I used the word investment...

HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! I ride year round in the Washington, DC area and average 24K - 28K miles per year. Gerbing hands-down. A definite INVESTMENT, not an expense. And to echo the above, FIT IS EVERYTHING! Take the time, do it right, and riding in 18 degree weather will still put a smile on your face just as big as if it was July.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: lakeforktx

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a Gerbing jacket liner. I can't compare it with other brands but it works. It fact, it works wonders. I also bought Gerbing insoles but I did not try them in real world conditions yet: not cold enough to do so since I bought them. However, I am sure they would not be of much help, alone. What matters most is keeping the torso warm in the first place. Only after this, the extremities can benefit from heated gear. I reckon the insoles will be a supplement, just like my heated grips are. They help, provided that my torso is warm enough. Otherwise, very little blood circulates through the extremities. If one heats them artificially, even less blood is circulated there, for the sake of increasing the priority of the torso. When the latter is heated artificially, however, warm enough blood is allowed to circulate through the extremities as well. Only then, heated gloves or socks or insoles make sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.