Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ride To Live
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: 2013 Fatboy-Lo
Insurance: Foremost Ins.

A week ago at 1:30am, I blew my rear tire on the freeway. I pulled into a gas station to check the damage. Yeah. I was screwed.

Called FI for a tow. They gave me the basic drill. "We'll have someone out there right away." An hour later I call back, they still have nothing for me. An hour passes, I get a call from the Austin PD, asking if I'm in danger. "WTF?!" So I call FI back and they tell me that they can't get anyone out to me till 8am. They wanted to know if I don't mind waiting for 4+ hours at a gas station for assistance.

I don't know if getting a tow is a super hassle or not. What I do know is that the insurance company had one job to do and they stepped on their junk.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
71 Posts
Bike: 2013 Fatboy-Lo
Insurance: Foremost Ins.

A week ago at 1:30am, I blew my rear tire on the freeway. I pulled into a gas station to check the damage. Yeah. I was screwed.

Called FI for a tow. They gave me the basic drill. "We'll have someone out there right away." An hour later I call back, they still have nothing for me. An hour passes, I get a call from the Austin PD, asking if I'm in danger. "WTF?!" So I call FI back and they tell me that they can't get anyone out to me till 8am. They wanted to know if I don't mind waiting for 4+ hours at a gas station for assistance.

I don't know if getting a tow is a super hassle or not. What I do know is that the insurance company had one job to do and they stepped on their junk.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Insurance companies have limited towing companies that they have an agreement with ( lowest bid thing). Therefore you have to wait until they have a open flatbed to get you with . ( most all insurance companies will only "tow" with a flatbed truck).

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Do you or maybe your wife already have AAA? You can get AAA optional RV/motorcycle coverage. Yeah, it will cost more than the $1.50 or so per month your insurance company adds to your insurance premium for roadside assistance, but you will get good service with AAA.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,853 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Road America through HOG?

·
red sport.
382 Posts
I'm replying with nothing, not had any trouble But I'm posting so I can keep up with this. I'm very interesting in the replys. I've go progressive throu HOG.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
I changed from Allstate to Geico for two simple facts: They were 37% cheaper AND Geico allows you to suspend all but Comprehensive coverage during non-riding seasons (November to April) :nod

·
Just Riding Around!
122 Posts
I have Rider Insurance and have had a good experience so far. I have not had to file a claim though. They were cheaper than my previous company and offered to cover more. For example; Progressive only covered $3000 in "accessories" on the bike. Rider covers up to $7000. They are limited to what states they are available in though. I know they're in NJ, PA and OH. I know they're not in NY nor MA. Beyond that, I don't know.

Also, they seem to understand depreciation! Usually my vehicle premiums creep up a little each year. However, with Rider, I got a surprise this year - it dropped around $200!!! I went from a "Tier 1" to a "Tier 2" since my bike was now over two years old. It will drop again in a couple years to a "Tier 3" (I hope another $100 - $200 off) and I think that's as low as they'll go.

As far as breakdowns and towing, I have Roadside America through H.O.G and I spring another $20 per year for the upgraded package as I'd like to have peace of mind for the mileage limits they'll tow. I can't remember what the basic towing limit is but, with the $20 upgrade, they'll haul the bike up to 150 (?) miles for me. I haven't had to use it yet so I don't know what their response time to a breakdown or accident is. I would assume it depends on where the breakdown occurs and what resources are available in that area.

Sorry to hear you had to wait an extremely long time to get your bike hauled. I hope it worked out and I hope you're able to find a quality company for the future.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,853 Posts
Nathan, at least in my area, GEICO beat Progressive by a bunch on my bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts