Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I sold my Deuce late last summer, and now it's time for a new (to me) ride. I'm looking at a few Fat Boys and I am trying to determine if there is a significant advantage to the newer 2009 and later models, over the 2007/2008 model years.

I understand that the 2009 and later have upgraded/newer electronics, I'm not sure that is a good thing... But is there anything else on the newer models that would make them a better choice over the 2007/2008 models?

Thanks!

·
Asylum Inmate
11,762 Posts
2012 and newer are 103 motors. Well worth it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have an '08, and there are things I wish I had, but only in passing. The 96-inch is a good solid motor, but has the cam chain that must be upgraded at some time to gear driven. As I understand it, the newer models have the gear-driven cams.

What should drive your decision is what fits you, what makes your heart beat faster,

I did the two most important (to me) changes over the winter (ThunderMAX tuner and rear shocks).

Otherwise, any of the Fat Boys are flexible, smooth, fun, powerful motorcycles that can handle short, medium, and long cruises.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Pre 2008 keep a check on the cam chain tensioner and milage or paperwork showing they were changed or move up to a newer model with the 103 motor they have less problems with the chain tensioners mostly hydrolic and smooth. also check maint records oil changes and basic services on any used a or b motor.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2012 and newer are 103 motors. Well worth it.
Yea, I know about the 103 engines and would love to have one. I'm looking at low mileage
used 07's through '11 models. They seem to be going for a really good price right now.

A local dealer has a really good deal on an '09 with chrome front end and controls, switch covers, MC and clutch, bags, windshield.
I'm also looking at an '08 from a private owner that is basically the same bike as well.

I have an '08, and there are things I wish I had, but only in passing. The 96-inch is a good solid motor, but has the cam chain that must be upgraded at some time to gear driven. As I understand it, the newer models have the gear-driven cams.

What should drive your decision is what fits you, what makes your heart beat faster,

I did the two most important (to me) changes over the winter (ThunderMAX tuner and rear shocks).

Otherwise, any of the Fat Boys are flexible, smooth, fun, powerful motorcycles that can handle short, medium, and long cruises.
That is good to know. What are the things you wish you had on your '08?

I'm looking at an '08 right now with just 2,200 miles, from the original owner who
has not had the time to ride. The bike was built in 08 and not sold until 2010.
She has a Thunderheader, chrome front end and controls, bags, windshield, and a few
other do-dads.

Pre 2008 keep a check on the cam chain tensioner and milage or paperwork showing they were changed or move up to a newer model with the 103 motor they have less problems with the chain tensioners mostly hydrolic and smooth. also check maint records oil changes and basic services on any used a or b motor.
Yup, I've bought and sold a lot of bikes over the years. I always ask for paperwork and a history
of the bike. As I mention above, this particular bike has only 2,200 miles. Serviced by the local
HD dealer who sold her new. It's a solid bike on paper and a really good deal. But boy, I sure like
the look of that "103" on the engines...

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
Starting in 08 with the 96 motor would be my choice. Get great mileage 48-50 on hwy. Hydraulic chain tensioners pretty much eliminated premature failures. Checked mine at 27K I think, any way front one was in excellent condition. With very small mirror the inside one showed some minor wear. Not planning to look again till 40K. Only strange thing was top motor mount bolt to the rear head would loosen up starting a light vibration on hwy..Got it to stop after 4 attempts.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I've considered engine guard, with pegs. Tool kit. LED lights. Head work. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1426894237.925862.jpg May still have heads done, but probably next winter, if I do.

Riding position, for me, is great. But with planned multi-week cruise, I'm leaning to add the bars--or, cruiser pegs. Still thinking.

I considered the nice chrome tool kit, but the saddle bags and the shock control now make that moot. My bars are already about four inches up, so I don't need more.

I added a 12v power point up on the handle bars. For long trips, a must.

Lights may be on the list. Either the DayMakers or TruckLights. The trip in May will determine how important those will be. I won't run too much at night, if possible.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've considered engine guard, with pegs. Tool kit. LED lights. Head work. View attachment 329610 May still have heads done, but probably next winter, if I do.

Riding position, for me, is great. But with planned multi-week cruise, I'm leaning to add the bars--or, cruiser pegs. Still thinking.

I considered the nice chrome tool kit, but the saddle bags and the shock control now make that moot. My bars are already about four inches up, so I don't need more.

I added a 12v power point up on the handle bars. For long trips, a must.

Lights may be on the list. Either the DayMakers or TruckLights. The trip in May will determine how important those will be. I won't run too much at night, if possible.
Yea, when I had my '97 Springer Heritage I would really need to stretch my legs out on rides after a few hours in the saddle. I also thought about adding some engine guard/cruiser pegs but never did.

The lights are a good idea if riding at night, they really make a difference especially on dark roads. I have a Jeep I wheel off-road and it's amazing what a few good lights can do.

The Fat Boy's riding position is just about perfect for me as is. I may think about different handlebars if I need them, depending on what happens to be on whatever bike I end up buying.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts