Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Streetglide. I just picked up a Garmin 2820 for my bike. I was wondering if anyone else has that GPS on a Glide or similar cruiser and which length arm you used on a RAM mount. I can't decide whether it's better to go with the shorter one so it's closer to the handlebars, or something longer so I can twist it closer to my line of sight behind the windshield and above my gauges. Any pros and cons with each? Thanks for your help. Ride safe. Mike

·
Registered
36,998 Posts
The longer arms will vibrate more. Maybe not an issue with a GPS, but more of an issue if you are planning on using a RAM mount for a camera.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the 3" mount is the best one for the handle bars? I have a faring on my Glide and a 3" should stay out of the way of the gauges. Where do you have yours mounted? I was thinking the left handlebar right about on the highest point of the handlebar.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's a great idea. Unfortunately for me, that would not work on mine since my mirrors come out of the faring directly. But thanks for the info.

·
1,072 Posts
I have the 3" bar and can post a picture of the set-up when I get home from work (after midnight, sorry)
When I got rid of the stock mirrors I tried to use the hole to mount the ram ball but I couldn't quite position the gps where I wanted it from there. I went with a chrome handlebar mount (I think it's Kuryakyn)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sweet mount job. I was going to put mine in just that spot. Do you have the part # so I could check it out on their site? Also, did you hardwire it to the battery? And is it removeable? Thanks again for taking the time to send the pic. Ride safe out there. Mike

·
1,072 Posts
I can't believe it but it took me an hour and a half to find the darn thing on-line. Couldn't think of the name of it...P-Clamp
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/0/scID/0/IMID/688
also this is the Garmin mount (at a great price):
http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-STREETPILOT-2720-2730-2820-MOTORCYCLE-MOUNT-KIT_W0QQitemZ320335472438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Accessories_Cables?hash=item320335472438&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1728|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
and ram arm, ball that mounts to Garmin bracket and ball for p-clamp here:
http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=RAM-BA
I originally had the unit mounted on a Road King Classic so I had the Garmin motorcycle mount kit which was hard wired to the battery and ran under the seat, under the tank up through the headlight nacelle handlebar mount cover but on my Ultra I cut the end off that attaches to the GPS and wired it to a curled wire (you can kinda see it in the picture) with a cigarette lighter plug on the end. Just plug it into the cigarette lighter in the fairing.

Yes it disconnects in seconds to lock up in the saddlebag!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't mind using the cigarette lighter for power, provided the aux hole for my iPod also charges it. I have one in my Tahoe that plays the iPod, but doesn't charge it. I have to also plug my iPod into the cigarette lighter. So with that being the case, I will need the cigarette lighter for my iPod and hardwire the GPS. Thanks for all the info, though. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just noticed you have your iPod mounted on your faring as well. What is your power source or is the aux hole what powers it?

·
1,072 Posts
Aux hole does not charge it. just a 1/8 inch plug going from the headphone jack to the aux in. Battery on the ipod used to last a few days until my wife accidentally put it though the rinse cycle...she did discover it after about 15 minutes in the dryer though.:eekers:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts