Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to fix a wind shield on my 05 sporster. I was told it will help reducing the need for goggles when going on highway. I wear perscription glasses and good goggles are not easy to find. I am not sure which type of shield to buy. I am thinking of something like these pictures but dont want to buy it then find it is not as expected. This type is fixed on the handle bar. Can someone give me an advice and which one is better. Thanks.

Attachments

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I dont know if your put any designed for XL windshields on that actually reduce need for goggles, Most will get the wind of your chest area. Just guess in at the pic thats about all you'll get outa that one. Now if you retrofit a RK shield or somethin, I've seen it done, but it' like, gets wierd.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
I have one similar to the one on the left. it knocks the wind off your chest area, but does'nt do much for your head. Mine is a quick release and i don't even put it on unless i 'm on the hiway.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the one on the left. It does a good job of deflecting the bugs over your head but its still pretty breezy behind it to do away with eye protection. Mine produces too much wind noise so as soon as it hits 55 degrees I take it off. The quick connect is great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one like the one on the right. Like others have said it keeps the wind off of your chest but doesn't do much for your head.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
might look into perscription riding glasses. My old man found some for something like $65, you buy them and mail your script to the company and they mail you back lenses.

will try to find some info on them next time I talk to my dad

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
might look into perscription riding glasses. My old man found some for something like $65, you buy them and mail your script to the company and they mail you back lenses.

will try to find some info on them next time I talk to my dad
Thanks, I will appreciate the info

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys I think that settles the issue. If it does not reduce the wind blowing into my eyes I will save the money for something else. I dont really mind the wind blowing into my chest, in fact that is part of my riding enjoyment, thank to you all for the advices, If I was close I would buy each a cold bear, ya'all ride safe.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I got a set of lenses for My scuba goggles from the local vision store.
You put some water on one side of them,lay them on the goggles and when they dry it is like a permanent fixture.
I also have an FXDWG with the low windshield and it does keep the wind off of My face so My eyes do`nt teer when I`m riding.I am 6 ft 1".
The low windshield was wrong,I was always trying to look over it and or through it.Through it was very distorted so I used a die grinder and bit and cut it down so I can look over the top of it.
Still deflects the wind and bugs over the top of My head.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a set of lenses for My scuba goggles from the local vision store.
You put some water on one side of them,lay them on the goggles and when they dry it is like a permanent fixture.
I also have an FXDWG with the low windshield and it does keep the wind off of My face so My eyes do`nt teer when I`m riding.I am 6 ft 1".
The low windshield was wrong,I was always trying to look over it and or through it.Through it was very distorted so I used a die grinder and bit and cut it down so I can look over the top of it.
Still deflects the wind and bugs over the top of My head.
Well, I will give your advice a seriuos thought, thanks

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
Try looking at the Windvests, I had one on my softail for a year or so...They work very well at deflecting the wind away from you...(not anything like a fairing though)....The Windvest has a ductail at the top to force the wind up and away....Here's their web address.... http://www.windvest.com/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try looking at the Windvests, I had one on my softail for a year or so...They work very well at deflecting the wind away from you...(not anything like a fairing though)....The Windvest has a ductail at the top to force the wind up and away....Here's their web address.... http://www.windvest.com/
I checked it and it is very interesting. Price plus shipping to my location (outside the US) will be above my budget for the time being. Thanks a lot for the info.
:thumb

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally I got the shield

Well guys I think that settles the issue. If it does not reduce the wind blowing into my eyes I will save the money for something else. I dont really mind the wind blowing into my chest, in fact that is part of my riding enjoyment, thank to you all for the advices, If I was close I would buy each a cold bear, ya'all ride safe.
As an update, I decided to buy a wind shield and see how it performs. To my happiness it worked and deflected much of the wind of my eyes so I can wear my regular sun glasses and ride up to speed of 75-80 mph. Above that it gets a bit uncomfortable. Thanks for all that gave their feedback. I posted 2 pictures of my new wind shield.

Attachments

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
In Da Wind !

Im going with the HD quarter fairing just to take the weight off my chest on the big road. I like and always wear my oh so comfortable KBC flip face/full face helmet. I have been hit hard on the helmet and visor before,,,For me anything above 45-50 MPH,,full face only.
Dental work Is spensive,,,trust me on that:1drink

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Osco: Ouch! I hope that I dont have to experience this as I only wear full face helmet in winter daytime time only. My visor is tinted and it is very hot to wear full helmet in the summer.

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Hi Osco: Ouch! I hope that I dont have to experience this as I only wear full face helmet in winter daytime time only. My visor is tinted and it is very hot to wear full helmet in the summer.
The KBC flip face has vents,,one on the top and one on the chin bar,,,A/C for helmets :lol8

An I just Ordered my quarter fairing from HD. A 15% off sale was goin on,,,Quarter fairing and quick mounts total $424 tax and all.

The funny part was the Parts guy was teasin me,,,Said " Ahh another SOA wanna be",,cause Ron has one on his bike:lol8I know thats not Ron sittin on the bike ,,I couldn't find a good pic Of Him and his scoot​

Attachments

·
Kustom Bike Builder
779 Posts
I've used both types and found the H-D Quick Disconnect better, I put it on and never take it off anymore.......seap to clean. :1drink

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
I've used both types and found the H-D Quick Disconnect better, I put it on and never take it off anymore.......seap to clean. :1drink
Crock,,,the mounts he sold me are not the kind that clamp,,,they leave behind a small ring and post,, should I have gotten the "Clamp" style ???:eek7

1 - 20 of 21 Posts