Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I go through the gears on my Street glide, I can hear a whirling noise coming from the clutch or tranny. I changed from royal purple to Mobil 1 20W50 in the primary, now I notice it. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
all my whirring noise's turned out to be that dang compensator coming loose . dang thing anyway. could be chain to tight ect.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Hmmmm.

If you hold the clutch in, does the noise go away?

By the way - did you change the fluid, or did someone else? Meaning: are you sure that the correct amount of fluid is in there??

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm.

If you hold the clutch in, does the noise go away?

By the way - did you change the fluid, or did someone else? Meaning: are you sure that the correct amount of fluid is in there??
Haven't done the clutch thing yet. If it goes away, what could it be. I changed the fluid myself. Right amount was put back in. Bike is a 2013 with 22,500 miles.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Royal Purple to Mobile 1 shouldn't cause a noise or even make one more apparent.

If you did nothing else, I am somewhat at a loss.

Check clutch adjustment first and also smell the oil now in there and see if it has a burnt smell.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
IMO, get rid of the 20W50 and put gear lube back in.
Oops, you said primary, I was talking trans ... my bad.
Anyways gear lube in the trans, like 85/140.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have always used mobile in the primary of my 2011 Ultra, and always noticed a bit of "whirl" from the primary as long as I have had it. It's done for 10K+ miles.

I don't worry too much about. I figure it's either nothing, or it will eventually break, and I'll fix it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My tech said they had a few 12 -13 big twins with compensator problems and changed to the 14-15 SE comp and the problem was solved. Good luck have them check it out.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Maybe his is the problem. Chain too tight. Anyway to back this off or will it take care of itself?
No, it has an automatic chain adjuster. They usually make noise before they adjust tighter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hayden adjuster

I had read somewhere where the oem chain adjuster can ratchet up and get too tight causing all kinds of problems with stuff having premature wear and noise. I changed mine out to the HAYDEN model for my 2011 early on. It has a spring that causes it to stay in tune over the entire chain. I had put one on my 2003 years ago over the manual one back then. It served me well. Go to the Hayden web site and watch the video with the primary cover off. I know that if and when my compensator decides to take a dump it will get the new Baker one that just came out. No plans to ever install another HD part into my bike if at all possible. They seem to build stuff with no regard for how long it will last. Plus they will not stand behind it.

Bought a set of HD polished floating rotors for the front, they warped at 3k miles bad and they would not stand behind them. 500 bucks hanging on the wall in my garage reminds me of the moco . Needless to say, I went with non HD rotors from Lyndall racing. He will replace them for life. I know I moved from the op on whirring but wanted to share my thoughts on not only what may stop that noise but give u piece of mind on getting quality items for your hard earned money. Just dont think non oem is bad or fall into the moco trap.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked into the Haydon. All reviews consider it 1st class. Only one problem was a broken spring. Taking a 250 mile ride today. I'll see if it corrects itself.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shit It's back. Can't figure it out. Pull the clutch in, it stops. Does it only under throttle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Shit It's back. Can't figure it out. Pull the clutch in, it stops. Does it only under throttle.
Might be the bearing... (in the inner primary housing behind the clutch). That shaft stops spinning when you pull in the clutch (at least when you're sitting still).

but while you're in there, check and lube up the compensator. Can increase it's life.
My whirring noise was because my compensator had sludge in it and was going dry. but it did it all the time, clutch in or out. Idle or driving.

Note that thinner oil made my whirring louder - probably because the thicker oil had muffled it more. I still heard it with thicker oil (20/50) but with the 10w40 (4T oil which Mobil One recommends for the primary), it was a lot louder - until I opened it up and washed it out.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is Royal Purple better than Mobile 1?? I think so. Drove 70 miles, still whirling noise. Drained Mobile out & replaced with Purple. No metal on drain plug magnet after 1200 miles. Guess what. Drove 30 miles & no more whirling. Had to be the Mobile, I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts