Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed rinehart 4 inch mufflers onto my 2014 street glide special and white smoke and water start coming out. Seems to be more than just a little that can happen at initial start up. Any ideas? Exhaust leak? The does not seem to be an exhaust leak though. Thanks all.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
So I just installed rinehart 4 inch mufflers onto my 2014 street glide special and white smoke and water start coming out. Seems to be more than just a little that can happen at initial start up. Any ideas? Exhaust leak? The does not seem to be an exhaust leak though. Thanks all.

Slip ons or full system?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slip ons

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Might be moisture in slipon on initial start up that should blow out pretty quick. I get a little moisture from my 3" slipons if just start it up to move it around. That white smoke is strange, check your coolant levels, yours is a wet head?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air cooled. And smoke was not pouring out.

·
Wayward Son
23,314 Posts
If it is white and not grayish, dissipates pretty quickly then likely moisture. The "C" word.
Grayish is oil.
If it does`t dissipate quickly then may be rich.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. In the meantime, I'll be riding. Thanks again

·
Registered
39,487 Posts
Its water in the exhaust, comes from not running the bike long enough to get everything to operating temperatures long enough to evaporate all the water.

Ride longer.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
I think Kainam hit it right.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You see it all the time with cars first start up in the morning and until they drive a few blocks the system is spewing condensation out the exhaust. That is why Taxi Cars need constant exhaust replacements. They don't always drive far enough to dry out the system. That is why you should not just hop in the car to go a couple blocks to the local stop and rob for a beer and then drive home. That water stays collected and rusts things out.

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
This, plus did you get the down load and air cleaner?
You see it all the time with cars first start up in the morning and until they drive a few blocks the system is spewing condensation out the exhaust. That is why Taxi Cars need constant exhaust replacements. They don't always drive far enough to dry out the system. That is why you should not just hop in the car to go a couple blocks to the local stop and rob for a beer and then drive home. That water stays collected and rusts things out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Some muffler shops leave a small hole to let condensate drain out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Some muffler shops leave a small hole to let condensate drain out.

That doesn't cause discoloration or performance issues associated with an exhaust leak?

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I read all this and think "If it started right after he put the pipes on, then it has something to do with the pipes". But that's just me.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
That doesn't cause discoloration or performance issues associated with an exhaust leak?
This applies to cars & trucks. Not for motorcycles unless your living in 2 inches of water all the time. :) Get her warmed up all the condensate will blow out, 20-30 mile run should do it.:)good excuse for a quick ride.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts