Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the right side of my rear tire, it won't fit the rim correctly like the other side. The guy that put them on said if it was rode enough and got heated up it would "pop" in and sit proper. Any tips ? Tire defective ? Place that did it messed up ?

Attachments

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,474 Posts
For me, it'd roll out of the shop the way it is supposed to or they'd either do it over or try another tire. Don't accept that crap that it'll fix itself later.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Are u sure its not a bent rim ? my 07 nightster has had a bent rim since 27,000 miles...I now have 117,000 on it..... and its bent way worse than yours looks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In your guys opinion does it look as if the shop messed up upon installation or the tire is the problem? Could I go for a wider tire in the rear, these are the shinko 777's. The front tire is on perfectly, confused on what to do. I really don't want to raise hell at this particular shop but I'm getting frustrated since the sole reason for the tire change was loss of traction with my old tires in the rain which led to a nasty spill.

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
To me, it looks like maybe the bead isn't seated properly.
Maybe from not using lube when installing the tire.

I'd tell them you're not comfortable riding on it until it is seated correctly given what happened on your last tire.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
That is a safety issue, and the "professional" that mounted it would be liable for accident or injury, if it happened.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
Unreal, It's hard to believe the shop left that go. They should have un-aired the tire, broke the bead, soaped the rim up and re-seated the bead.

·
Banned
71 Posts
On the right side of my rear tire, it won't fit the rim correctly like the other side. The guy that put them on said if it was rode enough and got heated up it would "pop" in and sit proper. Any tips ? Tire defective ? Place that did it messed up ?
Do not for any reason ride on a tire that is not seated correctly. You are risking having a catastrophic failure of the tire/rim .

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I can't really see it in the picture but I'm assuming the tire did not pop out when airing it up, as everyone else says. This is a very dangerous situation as the tire is probably not outside the detent on the rim. That means it can slip inward on a turn and cause an immediate loss of air.

The other thing I would be concerned with is the amount of pressure they used to try to seat it. If they used more pressure then the tire is rated for (MAX) then they may have damaged the carcass of the tire. It they put s strap around it while airing it up, then it probably did not damage it.

I'd take it back immediately. If they can't get it to seat, you need a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts