Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fairly new Harley rider. Last weekend, my riding buddies and I were at an outside biker bar. There must have been 100 bikes there. As we were leaving, I jokingly said to my buddy "I hope I don't fall over taking off in front of these folks." He said "Every one of these dudes has fallen over on their bike. Don't sweat it".

So, my question is: Have you fallen over on your bike? If so, what's your story?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Nope, I've never just fallen over. But, I did ALMOST drop it once when pulling into a parking space with a slight upgrade. I don't know how I kept the bike upright, maybe had something to do with the two girls standing nearby. lol (My neck and shoulder muscles were sore for a week.)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Haven't dropped my Harley but several years ago I was on my brand new Suzuki M50 (still had the dealer tag) making a right turn into the parking lot of a store. I was rolling way too slow for the gear I was in. I had the clutch pulled in while making the turn and when I released the clutch the bike came to a sudden stop. In one smooth move the bike laid down on the starboard side a I was left standing next to it. Somehow I didn't go down with the bike... Kind of a low speed dismount I guess.

It was a collection of stupid moves that caused it. Wrong gear, clutch in during a turn... Basic in attention. I did learn from it though. I think we all learn from our mistakes.

Oh yea... Scratched the pipes and the right mirror and bruised my ego... But it was only a Suzuki so no huge loss. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Put down a couple dirt bikes, but that is to be expected.

Went down on a crotch rocket once. I was leaned way over and the bike slid out from under me. I was dressed like a power ranger so I slid with the bike. I've been hurt worse in bicycle accidents.

I let my Road King fall over once, but with the crash bars it barely even tipped.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've never fallen over,but I did gracefully set it down on the floorboard and crashbar once. Never knew I could pick up my ultra that quickly by myself. And yes everyone has or will do it atleast once in their riding career. It's not a matter of if but when.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Never dropped any of my streetbikes... I've had my Harley's kickstand not lock out and it fell but I caught it about 1" from the ground and picked it back up (which is ALOT of dead weight, BTW... :laugh ). But I picked it right back up.

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
99% have dropped it at least once and the other 1% will.

I have. No shame.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Had my 2010 a hole hr before i dropped her in my driveway, its has a s curve on a slope and iit stalled pulling the hill and it was in the s curve and my inside foot slipt off the asphalt innto the grass amd i dropped it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Noel
7,389 Posts
I have, very embarrassing in front of what we call the club house, Our local Dunk's.

I was very new to my ZX14, after years of riding Harleys including a big and heavy Ultra the ZX14 surprised me when I was making a tight turn within the curbs of a narrow two lane street, I did not judge the turning angle well came to a stop at the curb, then while trying to roll back to re-angle I lost balance and tipped over, no damage to the bike, but my ego was bruised as my bud's jumped to help me get out from under the bike. To save face I righted the bike myself.

Since then I've mastered the handling of the 14, but that was a nasty learning experience.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I dropped the sporty while practicing tight slow turns in an empty parking lot. I got the cuff on my jeans caught on the left foot peg.

It happened so slowly that I laughed about it...after making sure no one was looking. :D. No damage to the sporty.

·
Killer of Souls
10,866 Posts
Dropped the ultra on her side crab walking into the garage with the engine off when I rocked back to get up over the lip, my left foot slid right out from under me... landed on the engine guard but damn its an awkward lift back up. No damage.

Watched my step son get off my sporty no kick stand down. Before I could utter a word, it was leaning on a Suburban... not a scratch on the bike... :whistle

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I rolled up to the PX in El Paso, TX. at Ft Bliss on my Gpz 1100 and promptly laid it on its side because I didn't put my foot down fast enough... I jumped up and shouted, Ta Da! Now for my next stunt I will ride away without buying ANYTHING! Lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
:eekDuring my first visit to Sturgis, I was new to my bike (Suzuki Volusia) and new to Sturgis and very paranoid about leaving the bike unattended after hearing all of the crazy stories about what could happen to you or your bike in Sturgis. I thought using a disk lock would be a smart thing. Well , I spent the day checking out the scenes and when we were all heading back to our camp I jumped on my bike ad took off for a total of about two feet until the lock hit the brake caliper and I stopped abruptly. I fell to the right and managed to hit the ground with the bike over the top of me. This lady came running across the parking lot yelling to my friends who were riding off in front of me "hey, your buddy just went down." Everyone in the parking lot and near us heard and went over to where I wiped out to check on what she was screaming about. I had pllenty of help now, and I managed to remove the lock. No damage to the bike, but my ego was. Later on I was presented with a disk lock lanyard and a "remove before flight" ribbon. It was a good laugh after the fact and we still joke about it. I haven't used the disk lock since on my Suzuki or my Road King. Sorry for the long post but it was one of those stories worth learning from.:eek Sully

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I couldn't pick my ultra up quick enough. When I did, I limped for a week with knee and back pain.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Only time I have was in 1986 had a 83 Kawasaki gpz1100 and came up to this funny intersection we had and was turning right slightly and coming to a stop, there was a bunch of fine sand and rock there and slipped down.
Was able to stop and keep it from hitting the ground, I should have let it go (LOL) I pulled a abdominal muscle and never pulled another one and don't want to!

Work with a guy that doesn't have much riding experience and bought a 650 import, had it for a couple months then went and bought a ultra.
We have a gravel parking lot,I pulled one mourning and him and another guy was out there looking at it and and other co-workers said he pulled up and next thing they know he his blasting his horn,so they go out and help him pick it up.....Owner of ultra denies this and says it never happen?

I know he didn't ride it for a few weeks and some scratches on chrome were healed when he started riding it again.

:think

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Fell over on my katana back in the 80s, stopped quick and didn't get a foot down. Wasn't drunk, just hung over. Went down a couple of times at speed back then. More careful now but well aware it can happen.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,169 Posts
Ya ever notice bikes fall over when there mentioned with beer and bar in the sentence . My bike use to fall over alot in the 80's when it had a drinking problem . MY current bike don't drink beer or booze and hasn't in quite a few years .... :rofl:...:rofl:

:stir...:stir

·
Banned
482 Posts
Had a brand new 85 EG once and after a great day of riding I just got off it when I got home. I'd swear that bike just stood there for 3 seconds before I realized I hadn't put the kick stand down. STUPID! Of course the wife had to see but I picked it back up with no problem. Advance several years and a different house in the country, I pull up to my locked gate on my 07 EGU and I drop it. Could not pick that sucker up. Down hill on gravel is a bitch. Called wife on cell phone and when she got there the two of us couldn't right it. Took truck and rope. I'd swear that thing weighs a ton. Old age is a BITCH!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I recall a story of a young lady, probably about 5 ft tall, weighs about 110 that kept dumping her sporty on an angled road... May still be stuck under it though cuz haven't heard from her since.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts