Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a rider course (it's the law here) last fall and couldn't believe how lacking in basic skills attendees were ..... who eventually were "certified" by the way after just 2 days. There was one guy who popped the clutch and was off into the trees....others were still learning how to shift and would often look down at their left foot (sometimes their right).....and others still were not able to brake properly among other things.

So, I'm wondering how many people REALLY know how to ride.....I mean by this that everything is second-nature, and that there is no "thinking" involved if one has to brake suddenly or swerve around an obstacle, for example. It's easy to ride when their aren't other vehicles/intersections to worry about.......

I see riders pass me all the time and wonder if they can really ride well.... I tend to think the percentages are low.........

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Man, you should've seen some of the folks in my class. It was actually pretty funny, although I shouldn't laugh. I mean, they ARE trying to learn.

Most of 'em would pop-and-stall six or seven times before ever getting off the line in damn near EVERY exercise.

What's REALLY funny is that we had two instructors and even one of THEM stalled out while demonstrating an exercise.

So, of all the riders - thirteen - and two instructors, I was one of two who never stalled their bike. The other instructor was the other.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I took a rider course (it's the law here) last fall and couldn't believe how lacking in basic skills attendees were ..... who eventually were "certified" by the way after just 2 days. There was one guy who popped the clutch and was off into the trees....others were still learning how to shift and would often look down at their left foot (sometimes their right).....and others still were not able to brake properly among other things.

So, I'm wondering how many people REALLY know how to ride.....I mean by this that everything is second-nature, and that there is no "thinking" involved if one has to brake suddenly or swerve around an obstacle, for example. It's easy to ride when their aren't other vehicles/intersections to worry about.......

I see riders pass me all the time and wonder if they can really ride well.... I tend to think the percentages are low.........
Yeah, well, why should the motorcycle testing be any tougher than it is for driving a car? Look at how many people obtain a driver's license for a car who really aren't qualified. Granted, there is a learning curve associated with learning to drive anything. And everybody starts from zero and improves with experience and hopefully they don't kill anybody on the way. But for God's sake ALL vehicle testing should be tougher than it is now. Yes I know how "inconvenient" it is if you don't have a license to drive. But that is no excuse or reason to not make the tests tougher--only by making the tests harder and more realistic (how about some training and testing regarding merging on and off a freeway?) will we develop better and safer drivers no matter what they drive.

·
Rider
38 Posts
I rode for years before I took the class only to figure out how many things I was going wrong. Years after the class I can say I can ride my ass off. I ride with a lot of people an noticed most don't really know how to take curves, do figure eights, or swerve

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,344 Posts
I've been riding the better part of 50 years. I figure another 10 or 15 years and I'll start getting the hang of it.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts

How ya doing man! Haven't talked to ya in a while!!! Hope your bike is treating you well.

I have some, any funny MSF course stories. One notable one was a gut who had ridden 40 years. 40 years, and he got a lower score on the test then everyone else I'm the class except one other rider, and even his daughter beat him! Its scary it really is. I take pride in knowing that I practice regularly ish, and that I have become one with the bike (except when I miss second gear that's embarrassing).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
My FIL teaches some of the classes in Illinois...the stories he comes home with will make you shake your head.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Have been riding since I was 4. Started on mini-bikes then graduated to moto-cross by 7.
That was 40 years ago. Even though I make most actions without any thought, I still practice avoidance maneuvers.

Complacency will kill you in a second.

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
I took the advanced course last year just because. Learned a little already had my endorsement got it back in 72 when it was only a written test. I stuck around to watch the beginner class take there test. The test at least here in Indiana bears no resembalance to real world riding weave through some cones then ride a three sided line at tip over speed and stop with the front tire in a box. The abate guys running it even said it's a joke and that they have to grade big bikes on a curve cause it's designed for dirt bikes.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Have been riding since I was 4. Started on mini-bikes then graduated to moto-cross by 7.
That was 40 years ago. Even though I make most actions without any thought, I still practice avoidance maneuvers.

Though I have no where close to that much time on 2 wheels , coming from such an experienced rider as yourself that last line is gold !! It's a thought that goes through my head all the time , keeps me alert.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Those words were passed on to me years ago by a much more experienced biker than myself.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally Posted by Labradaddy

Yea those words are golden,years ago after a long fast ride on my then Kawasaki 750 I got a couple hundred feet from my house. I'm thinking what a great day not paying attention and I made a right turn up my street and a car was sitting right in the middle of the road hit the brakes nothing but gravel,bike went one way I the other,totaled the bike I banged up my legs . Now I always remember even a block away from home,I ain't home yet bike ain't in the garage yet stay ALERT

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I'm an expert. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and watched an SOA marathon.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
I may have to stay there sometime. I ain't no expert at nothing except'n grammar.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts