Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might have been done before, but what do you wear on your head when you ride?

Don't want to do a polling, but do you wear nothing, a bandana, a half helmet, a fullface, a ballcap, a yamaka........ just curious.

I've always been a helmet wearer. Lately, as I've been riding in 30*-40* degree weather, I've been wearing a knit hat, a hoodie over that, and a sheepskin hat (Russian Police style) over all of that and NO helmet.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
A bandana ususally. If it is cold I wear one of those quilted "welder" hats.

I actually own two helmets now. I take the half helmet with me when travelling out of state and I bought the full helmet for the option of using my headset. Only worn it once.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I wear one of them novelty half helmets. I bought a DOT half helmet and wore it a few times but at speeds above 60 or so it felt like my head was going to be ripped off.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
A full face KBC in the cold and a 3/4 jett helmet in the heat. We have helmet laws here but I got used to it and wear them in other states that dont have the law.

·
its rusting
429 Posts
when i was on my scooters i'd occasionally go bare-headed. otherwise its all fullface helmet. by the way here's what i went for my upcoming bike with mostly because of the graphics, and it was on sale:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Shoei TZ-R

My next one will probably be an Arai. After trying one on in the store and walking around it it for a good while I like the fit.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts
HJC-AC12 when I'm not wearing much of a balaclava, it's the better helmet but does not come in 3XL It's angular surface seems to lift less and get pulled and pushed aroung less by the wind.

CL-15 does come in 3XL so I use one for really cold days when I need to wear a heavier balaclava.

I'm hard on helmets, I can't spend $400 to $600 on a helmet that I'm going to scuff up so badly
that I need to replace it in a year and a half.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wear full face. I am 50 and have been wearing one since I was around 15 when my friend broke his jaw on a dirt bike.

I am however against manditory helmet laws. It should be your choice.:ride

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Open face on the HD, full face on the Suzuki. For some reason it feels wrong the other way around.

Helmets are mandatory here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What do you wear on your head when you ride?

Texas has mandatory helmet laws. I am against helmet laws for anyone over 21 years old. Don't get me started!

I wear a Dot approved half helmet any time I am riding. Still don't believe it should be mandatory. Tried full face helmets, doesn't work in Texas as summer temp's, go well above the 100 degree mark, even tried a totally white one but still two hot to ride in.

In parades, like the Anna, TX Christmas Parade, I simply turned a ball cap around and wore it backwards. You know the drill, roll three feet and stop, repeat, repeat, repeat.

As a PGR rider, once I reach the Service, I usually take off the helmet and wear a PGR Do Rag, Don't particulary like Do Rags, but wear one to show support for those who have fallen.

When I started riding in 1957, they didn't use helmets, only what we called Harley Hats, soft cotton, usually black with a white brim and it had a winged wheel on the front. Cool. I told ya, I'm older than dirt.

Drdick

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
that big thing I can't seem to wear, it's too heavy than what I'm used to. I don't know how anyone can wear them things. I normally wear the second one, just because I hardly notice it's there.

Attachments

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Texas has mandatory helmet laws. I am against helmet laws for anyone over 21 years old. Don't get me started!

I wear a Dot approved half helmet any time I am riding. Still don't believe it should be mandatory. Tried full face helmets, doesn't work in Texas as summer temp's, go well above the 100 degree mark, even tried a totally white one but still two hot to ride in.

In parades, like the Anna, TX Christmas Parade, I simply turned a ball cap around and wore it backwards. You know the drill, roll three feet and stop, repeat, repeat, repeat.

As a PGR rider, once I reach the Service, I usually take off the helmet and wear a PGR Do Rag, Don't particulary like Do Rags, but wear one to show support for those who have fallen.

When I started riding in 1957, they didn't use helmets, only what we called Harley Hats, soft cotton, usually black with a white brim and it had a winged wheel on the front. Cool. I told ya, I'm older than dirt.

Drdick
Helmets ae not required if you have completed the MSF but you must show proof of medical insurance (at least $10,000 required).

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts
For guys or gals who won't wear a real helmet, these are probably the very best "novelty" helmets money can buy, in terms of safety, weight and comfort, pretty close to being as good a helmet as DOT I'll bet, even their DOT specs helmets are very thin small and light. Worth a look, for someone who just can't or won't wear a real helmet.

Good life-savings testimonials...
http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/testimonials.htm

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.htm
Their gallery pix are mixed DOT and "novelty"

The helmets the guys are wearing are not DOT specs.
The helmets the girls are wearing do meet DOT specs.
I think they are in the $180 range, so not bad.

Attachments

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
For guys or gals who won't wear a real helmet, these are probably the very best "novelty" helmets money can buy, in terms of safety, weight and comfort, pretty close to being as good a helmet as DOT I'll bet, even their DOT specs helmets are very thin small and light. Worth a look, for someone who just can't or won't wear a real helmet.

I just bought one in December....It's a good lid

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
i mostly wear my suomy spec r-1 but i also have a harley stealth flame modular and an hjc modular..

i have only ever ridden my bike twice with out a helmet on the open road.. the first time was about 100 yards.. and the second was 2 blocks to starbucks in indy .. since my helmet was drenched

helmets arent mandatory here for ppl over 21 .. i choose to wear one.. i am glad i have the choice

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts

This site has a new type of helmet, it's still not DOT spec, but one of my interests is in persuading my daughter-in-law to wear some kind of head protection when riding, or even when messing with her horses, this new more full profile helmet is an improvement over the half helmets they offered before.

I find that this very tight fitting, but tough helmet is an interesting option, I have actually considered the desirability of wearing a light small helmet in my car, since it will someday be a barely controllable monster.

The first style is called the Daffy, for some reason. Some might like the cheeky attitude of the next 2 styles. Also not DOT spec. The last 2 pix show the kayak version and the kind of forces the kayakers choose helmets to protect themselves from.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts