Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about who here has had a fluid leak on their bike, and who hasn't, and the respective year and miles on the clock.

My 1995 hit the 26K mark and the trans main seal crapped out. Outside of that, it's been dry. I just got the tools to fix it today, and it's obviously annoying me.

I hate leaks. I fix them immediately and just hate the "Oh well...it's a Harley" mentality.....:rolleyes:

My 1999 Honda Aero 1100 had an inherent case leak on the left side, that most owners got to experience. I was one of the lucky ones that didn't get it, but I've seen most bikes with some issue, leak or mechanical flaw, other than just or beloved Harleys. :p

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
They don't leak....they are marking their territory :D

I had plenty of oil leaks on my last bike (03 custom built) and I never could get them to be gone all the way, it bothered the heck outa me. I finally just sold the piece of crap.....I do miss that bike though :(

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was that the 2003 "Exotix", Vic?

Was that engine Harely or S&S?

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
My '03 Low Rider developed a slight leak at the transmission linkage seal at about 24,000 miles. I went ahead and replaced all three seals and everything was nice and dry when I sold it at about 30,000 miles.

Never had anything leak on the '06 Street Glide. Sold it at 16,000 miles.

My '07 Ultra has right at 25,000 miles on it and has not developed any leaks.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
Was that the 2003 "Exotix", Vic?

Was that engine Harely or S&S?
it was a 96" S&S. It was titled as an Exotix but I knew a guy that knew a guy and cheated with my title. It was built by a local friend of mine. Here's a couple of other pictures of it.

Attachments

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,213 Posts
If anybody had a TC-88 is still in warranty, (is that possible?) pray for an oil leak at the bottom of the cylinders, when I had the 95" kit installed, the dealer said damned shame I didn't have a leak there, cause then 90% of the labor would be absorbed by the warranty repair on the seal, the hard parts for the upgrade were only about $650, the labor took it up to $1400+

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got home from work.....TOOLS AND NEW SEALS ARE HERE!!!!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,213 Posts
Both my bikes are 2005, 15,000 and 10,000 and nary a single leak.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
it was a 96" S&S. It was titled as an Exotix but I knew a guy that knew a guy and cheated with my title. It was built by a local friend of mine. Here's a couple of other pictures of it.
Nice bike. It sorta looks like a VROD

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 03 started leaking from tranny seals right after I got it. Took the
them 3 tries to get if fixed. I have a good Indy that I use now and have
72,000 on it.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
2004 RoadGlide

Had a shifter shaft seal leak at about 24k miles. No oil on the ground. Tech noticed it while servicing bike. fixed under warranty.
Now at 40k they told me a while back that the inner primary seal is leaking. Again, no drops of oil under it.
I bought the seal and gaskets just to have them on hand if it gets worse.

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, what stemmed this thread was repaired this weekend. Thought it was an inner primary seal that failed, and after fixing it, found it was a trans mainshaft seal. There are 2 main shaft seals and a large race seal in the side of the case. I have 26K on the clock.

This time, while disassembling, I found the front sprocket nut (50 ft/lbs, then an additional tightening of 30-40 degrees) was only finger tight, after removing the 2 screws and retaining plate....... I never took it off since I owned the bike, and wouldn't have noticed it last time when I hung a new drive belt on the bike, as the retaining plate holds the nut.

It was allowing not enough pressure to be placed on the mainshaft race that fits into the tranny, and has a thin, ribbed O-ring behind it, that pressure keeps nicely fit into the beveled end. It was allowing oil to go past it, and up the sprocket splines, then slung onto the rear of the inner primary. I basically found it by changing my trans fluid to the High Shock Redline stuff, and the pink color gave it away.

It took 3.5 hours, and 3 special tools. The Inner Primary race remover, installer and a 1-7/8" socket that's as deep as the mainshaft, to properly tighten the sprocket retaining nut.

Rode 120 miles today, and found I have a pushrod tube leaking, but due to my own fault, as I just unseated them to add chrome lifter block covers.......

My bad. :eek:

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
The '99 doesn't leak (only 25k miles)... neither did the '94. I don't remember if the 'Rod leaked or not. The '93 was "born" with bad base gaskets, they were warranteed. And the '83 and '75... well, of COURSE they leaked!

The Suzukis didn't tho, LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts