Harley Davidson Forums banner

While under warranty, did you run stock?

• Yes, no mods.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Sorta, just some pipes.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Forget the warranty, I got intake/exhaust/tune/etc.

Votes: 28 51.9%

Who's running stock under warranty?

5K views 50 replies 28 participants last post by  Miles Tequillya 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what I want to do....

#2 ·
Unnecessary, if you're worrying about voiding. My dealer did a ton of mods at my request before delivery. As long as you're not damaging the bike, mod away.

#3 ·
Well, that's the problem, right? If something goes wrong they may say the mods damaged it. All the good stuff has "race" or "off road" disclaimers, and even if that is not enough to kill your Magnuson Moss rights, then you could still face a legal battle. It is one thing to say, you can't do this to me, haven't you heard of Magnuson Moss? It is quite another to get them to actually comply.

Frankly I'm not even sure they would be in the wrong to deny warranty engine work if you changed the ECM. I think if I was building bikes I'd probably feel the same...

#12 ·
No, it's not the problem. It's a fiction scenario that you've written and evidently believe. The dealers I know and the MoCo in general are consistently cool about mods. They make a lot of money doing it and want it to continue.

If you start drilling holes in your headpipes and laying a deuce in your air cleaner, they would likely frown on that. But, if you buy reputable parts and install them properly, there isn't a problem.
I second that. No one I know has ever had a dealer void a warranty over normal modifications. I've always heard they can't just say the mod caused the problem to get out of paying for the repairs, but they actually have to be able to prove it. If they can't prove it, they have to honor the warranty.

#16 ·
I second that. No one I know has ever had a dealer void a warranty over normal modifications. I've always heard they can't just say the mod caused the problem to get out of paying for the repairs, but they actually have to be able to prove it. If they can't prove it, they have to honor the warranty.
I mentioned this in a previous post. It's the Magnuson Moss act. But what if they don't prove it (or prove it only in their own opinion) and still don't honor the warranty? Then you got a legal battle on your hands. Just sayin'.

#10 ·
When mine was new I only added pipes to get a better sound as far as the engine is concerned. Everything else was pretty much just eye candy. But mostly I liked it the way it came from the factory, and still do. That's really the only reason I didn't do more to it.

#23 ·
I completely agree with you. The only time I ever think, 'I wish I...." is when I say to myself, "I wish I had bought this thing years before I did."

#11 ·
Just a thought from a stupid engineer...legals notwithstanding;
If you are that concerned with warranty on a new purchase, why are you considering that purchase? Either it is a good product or it is not. Having owned 4 of these critters in my lifetime in the past 22 years, and having had only one warranty issue that was caught by the service manager and handled on the spot....well it took 2 days to get the work done on that shifter shaft issue...I can't figure why you're that concerned. I have added pipes and all sorts of crap to my bikes over the years and never encountered an issue of warranty no-no. Come to think of it, never had any major issues with any of my bikes that weren't related to tons of miles and my saddle sore ass

#14 ·
FWIW, I asked the warranty guy at my dealership. He said that pipes were no problem at all, but if I wanted to go air cleaner and ECM tune then the tune had better be HD brand. But, you know, without something in writing, and plenty of writing to the contrary in the P&A, Limited Warranty, and Extended Service plan notwithstanding, it leaves a lot of confusion. I can't see that one opinion is better than another. It's unfortunate that HD does not take a clear stand on this. (but maybe they would say they have been quite clear).
Finding the poll interesting...

Thanks!

#17 ·
They have to prove it was the parts you added that caused any issue, just as you would have to prove that it wasn't.

#18 ·
I think you should look for another dealer.

I had my motor totally removed, cases split, stroker crank installed, big bore cylinders and pistons installed etc etc etc all under warranty.

Your poll doesn't cover my scenario.

#27 ·
Was this done by a dealer ? I'm under the impression that if the dealer installs or other wise mods it there willing to back a warranty claim , the question is what if a non dealer, non dealer approved shop , or the owner did the mods and a problem came up ?

#20 ·
One thing for certain, if Harley does the mods there is no threat to the warranty. They even offer two year warranty on add on done by the dealer. It's all in you new bike packet you should have received.

I just bought my Heritage new and even got a phone call from Harley offering the two year warranty for any add on done within 60 days of purchase.

#22 ·
Did all the mods in first 90 days of purchase. Bought all parts from dealer. Decatted header, Power commander, Rineharts, A/C and under their advice to remove the O2 sensors. Probably have reduced temps by 20- 30 degrees. That was 3 years ago. I'm still under an extended warranty,.

#24 ·
according to this poll there must be something wrong with me? I own a completely stock '14 limited with nothing added. my ridding buddy has a '12 ultra started with slipons (we are a couple of old guys that don't race or speed) but I would pull away from him slightly at any speed. this drove him crazy - the local speed shop recommended a complete exhaust system with tuner and air cleaner upgrade (said it would come alive, run cooler, beter gas miles) after $3500 it was a little louder, gas miles were down some and he just kept up with me. not sure why he wants to out do me? but he had the speed shop send his engine to a company in california (this probably voided his extended warranty) they shaved the heads put in large valves, big cam, roller bearings. $6500 they asked how do you want the tune - he said max it out don't leave anything on the table - now he has a heat issue, gas went from 44/per to 25 and he pulls away from me slightly and is happy. I would rather use the $10k to get a new bike every 2 or 3 years. the guys tell me its not my bike it still belongs to harley untill I add a piece of chrome somewere? am I the only one that is not anxious to pour a sack of money into it and maybe void the warranty?

#25 ·
It's your bike. Do what you want/don't want to it. Your reply isn't very conducive to the discussion though. In fact, why is this even still open? The topic has been covered and beaten to death.

I stand behind Chief's answer as it's the most accurate and humorous reply. I giggled.

#28 ·
No need to apologize. We're always glad to answer questions.

I would imagine a dealer specifying that only a Harley tune is acceptable under warranty is a scare tactic so they can keep their profit margins high. Keep in mind their "download" is $150 and it probably takes maybe 10 minutes and is so easy that your dog could probably do it on accident.

#37 ·
I like my 2014 XL1200C just like it is. It gets me from 0-60 faster than I can fart and that is good enough for me. Besides, at my old age, I don't have enough money to "mod" it out! Some of the mods you all talk about seem kind of interesting, but above my understanding, so I guesses that is why I don't do anything to the bike. I was one of the few that voted for the no mods. Warranty does not have anything to do with my thoughts on the matter.

#38 ·
Took mine in for 2 warranty problems. After the repairs, owner told me keep doing what your doing, its running nice. Slip-ons, SE A/C and EXIEDS.

#44 ·
is this an east coast/west coast thing? the brighter the flame the faster it burns out, west coast rider spends extra left over cash on girls and beer - east coast rider spends all cash moding it out? after this post I am going to get scorched - oh well bring it - its my day off and its too cold to ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.