Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:feedback:

We still have a lot of salt on the roads here in Ontario . . . not the granular kind but the residue that has not had enough traffic/rains to clear it away.

I hear a number of riders (none riding at the time) comment on the amount of salt as though they are concerned about it but, I don't know why.

Does salt on the road affect friction/traction or, are they just worried about getting salt on their bikes (re: corrosion)????

Snowed again (all day, just lightly) on Saturday - melted Sunday . . . am looking forward to getting out this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
They are just sissies. Traction reduction is minimal...still though go slow. It is the sand you need to watch out for.

What's a little corrosion anyway....bikes are made to be ridden. Ride it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired firefighter
312 Posts
well,here in wisconsin they use beet juice cause it is less corrosive
than magnesiun chloride which is very corrosive which they use it all the time:cussing...wish they would use more old fashion SALT!!!
but salt works,so why would one use something that works and reqiures no extra and expensive equiptment to store and spray:loco

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
They pre-spray the stuff here before it snows or gets icy. I personally don't enjoy pitted chrome and rusted metal parts. We had enough rain this month to pretty much wash a layer of concrete off so now it's just dodging all the holes and heves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The salts bad enough, but it's the grit they put down with it that you have to watch for. I live in southwest Virginia and pretty much ride year round. That grit on the road is the only thing that really scares me on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
605 Posts
The road salt they put down in the UK is legendary and my Iron can testify. The real problem is corrosion instead of traction, especially if you commute a fair distance. The bike then sits all day gently dissolving before the return journey. Thankfully the Iron has hardly any chrome. The finish on the exhaust has been removed almost 100% - seriously.

Andy

·
Registered
177 Posts
I doubt there is any salt left on the roads here in Michigan, Just went through 13 days of torential rain. Mud on the roads in low spots will be an issue. Have some serious flooding here in the land of trols.

·
Registered
105 Posts
:feedback:

We still have a lot of salt on the roads here in Ontario . . . not the granular kind but the residue that has not had enough traffic/rains to clear it away.

I hear a number of riders (none riding at the time) comment on the amount of salt as though they are concerned about it but, I don't know why.

Does salt on the road affect friction/traction or, are they just worried about getting salt on their bikes (re: corrosion)????

Snowed again (all day, just lightly) on Saturday - melted Sunday . . . am looking forward to getting out this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i would say its just a corrosion worry. i just had my fatbob rims wet sanded cause they were pitted so bad from the salt. they are all pussies bikes were meant to ride salt or not.:banana

·
Registered
377 Posts
I doubt there is any salt left on the roads here in LOWER Michigan, Just went through 13 days of torential rain. Mud on the roads in low spots will be an issue. Have some serious flooding here in the land of trols.
Fixed it for you :) Still lots of salt on the roads in upper michigan.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
I'm only concerned bout salt water on the white metal stuff. As soon as the hose in my garage is hooked up,...I don't care. Dry rock salt on the shoulder of the roads/streets doesn't bother me.

Also, here the car wash places recycle thier water. The salt content in the water is insane. The test results of the water at almost all of the self wash and mechanical wash places has been made public for years.

When I had my Dual-sport, I rode it any where, any time....It didn't cost 20 grand !...

How many guys with street rods or classic cars enjoy driving them through road salt ?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Those that are worried about corrosion, think about this. Got my bike with only 7,000 miles, it was a 9 year old bike.. sat a lot of its life in Michigan. I have replaced a ton of the lower end chrome, judging by how much it sat, it probably never saw salt at all. For me salt is bad because, when they dump it at the intersections, its like someone dumped sand, makes stopping and turning a real trick.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I see what the salt does to my car, truck, trailers, exterior aluminum doors of buildings, even my snowmobiles get salt on them from road crossings and trails alongside roads. I can wait a few weeks before I take my bike out.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
It's the corrosion. Never worried about salt when I lived in Salt Lake City. I just washed the bike once a week never saw a problem. It seemed like the powder would accumlate on the bike then catch a little water or dew and start rust. Or when the streets were wet, you get salt spray. Salt corrodes, the end. And yes, bikes are made to ride, but I don't want my bike rusting out and look like a rolling turd, ya know?

And don't get me started about these chickendick nuts and bolts on my bike and galvanic corrosion from the break dust. I ended up replacing all my hardware with stainless steel and corrosion protection loctite on my Dyna, but not yet on my Electra.

My Alumaweld boat that's been sitting out at the beach house is getting crusty from the salt air.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I would like to restate part of my comment. You guys with 15+k dollar bikes I (cause I am crazy) would ride it in salt and off road and on snow... But I can totally understand the dough you got into those bikes.

For me, my bike was 5.3k, I ride the hell out of it do all of the crazy stuff I love to do and just love the bike! A few bits of rust and some scratches in trade of awesome stories and memories...priceless to me.
Just depends on where the line is for you and all people are different. I can dig that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Here around Knoxville I worry primarily about corrosion. Now if there's snow in the mountains they salt the Dragon (Hwy 129) down since it is a US highway. Every time that dump truck goes around a curve it dumps a streak in the road as much as 6-8" deep. Now considering there's supposed to be 318 of those curves in 11 miles that means a lot of salt berms. That is definitely a detriment to traction, lol.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Here around Knoxville I worry primarily about corrosion. Now if there's snow in the mountains they salt the Dragon (Hwy 129) down since it is a US highway. Every time that dump truck goes around a curve it dumps a streak in the road as much as 6-8" deep. Now considering there's supposed to be 318 of those curves in 11 miles that means a lot of salt berms. That is definitely a detriment to traction, lol.
Yea no kidding!!!
That's some major pucker factor right there.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to restate part of my comment. You guys with 15+k dollar bikes I (cause I am crazy) would ride it in salt and off road and on snow... But I can totally understand the dough you got into those bikes.

For me, my bike was 5.3k, I ride the hell out of it do all of the crazy stuff I love to do and just love the bike! A few bits of rust and some scratches in trade of awesome stories and memories...priceless to me.
Just depends on where the line is for you and all people are different. I can dig that.

Well done XL - always different strokes for different folks!

Like BB King said: "I don't care if she is 250lbs or 100lbs soaking wet, if you love her - then she's your pretty little thing!"

·
Registered
751 Posts
Every time this ear it got above freezing, and we didnt have snow or gernereally visibal salt on the road I rode. My brother gave me hell as he said I was killing my bike. To me letting it sit is worse than that. My 10 year old truck that gets ridden in the worst crap you can think of isn't rusty.

The reason being is that it gets cleaned. Rinse the salt off and all is well again.

Now if you just leave it sit around.....Then you have problems.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Well done XL - always different strokes for different folks!

Like BB King said: "I don't care if she is 250lbs or 100lbs soaking wet, if you love her - then she's your pretty little thing!"
Bb king is a smart man

Every time this ear it got above freezing, and we didnt have snow or gernereally visibal salt on the road I rode. My brother gave me hell as he said I was killing my bike. To me letting it sit is worse than that. My 10 year old truck that gets ridden in the worst crap you can think of isn't rusty.

The reason being is that it gets cleaned. Rinse the salt off and all is well again.

Now if you just leave it sit around.....Then you have problems.

Words of wisdom. You clean something off fast enough and its like it never happened

1 - 20 of 20 Posts