Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Nightster, stock. It's my first motorcycle. I rode twice with two different stock 883s recently and they seemed to rev up just as much as I did or less to achieve XYZ speed. It seems like I'm hoofing it compared to the 883s... as if something is wrong. To keep up, I felt like I was really giving it gas. The bike seems underpowered for 1200cc's. I also rode with another 1200 (2004 Custom, stock) and it seemed to make less noise accelerating at the same rate every single time. I don't get it!??!?!

Do 1200's shovel (work hard, rev high) at 70mph? I feel like I'm revving so high at that speed! The bike with me on it ways 700 pounds. It has about 60 hp. I had a car that had 85 hp and weighed, what, 2,000-ish pounds and accelerated/cruised better!

Are 1200's really any faster than an 883? I didn't drag race or anything, just have this concern of mine from general riding... I figured the 883's would struggle more next to me and it turned out I was the one struggling... I felt like anyway. I don't have a tach so I can't say my own RPMs. I didn't look at theirs.

Also, when I rev sometimes I hear a tinking sound. After I fill up gas, and I rev after starting up, it takes a few careful revs to get the bike to actually rev without seeming to want to sputter. A few times now I've gunned it and heard that tinking sound as well.

I'm thinking, if my bike is "slow" relative to what it should be, maybe there is a relation to this tinking sound. I use 93 octane gas from BP... sometimes Mobil if a BP isn't around. All this happens no matter the tank of gas...

What's your advice?

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
883's are geared higher than 1200's now. Used to be they were geared the same, not anymore.

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
The difference from the factory lies in the front pulley. 883's have a 27 tooth trans pulley, where the 1200 has a 29 tooth. But realize if you switch your trans pulley from a 29 tooth to a 27 (or get a larger rear pulley), you will gain acceleration at the expense of higher cruising RPMs at a given speed.

You can also order a 30 tooth trans pulley from HD. These are stock on the international versions of 04+ 1200 sportsters. PN# 40380-04.

The rear pulley is a 68 tooth (61 tooth on pre 04). HD also sells a 65 tooth pulley (and 55 tooth for pre 04) which would lower your cruising RPMs at the expense of acceleration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The difference from the factory lies in the front pulley. 883's have a 27 tooth trans pulley, where the 1200 has a 29 tooth. But realize if you switch your trans pulley from a 29 tooth to a 27 (or get a larger rear pulley), you will gain acceleration at the expense of higher cruising RPMs at a given speed.

You can also order a 30 tooth trans pulley from HD. These are stock on the international versions of 04+ 1200 sportsters. PN# 40380-04.

The rear pulley is a 68 tooth (61 tooth on pre 04). HD also sells a 65 tooth pulley (and 55 tooth for pre 04) which would lower your cruising RPMs at the expense of acceleration.
Do you know the part number of the 65-tooth pulley? And if a belt is available to go with a combination of the 65-tooth rear pulley and 30-tooth transmission pulley?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
[/QUOTE]Do 1200's shovel (work hard, rev high) at 70mph? I feel like I'm revving so high at that speed!
Sounds a wee bit weird to me. I'm still in 4th Just about to look for 5th.
at 70. Hits 80 real easy. Dosnt seem much of a strain till I get over 100. 04 1200

·
Registered
333 Posts
When my bike was stock i was unimpressed, too lean, too restrictive exhaust. My tuned pipes a SERT and SE A/C..BIG DIFFERENCE... Pulls hard to 117.mph. I inderstand what your saying sirboom.

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
Do you know the part number of the 65-tooth pulley? And if a belt is available to go with a combination of the 65-tooth rear pulley and 30-tooth transmission pulley?
I don't have the PN for the 65 tooth pulley. The 65 tooth pulley was used on export Sportsters. The export Sportsters also use the same length belt as the domestic ones.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Are you sure the 883's are stock, maybe ur buddies are pullin the wool over your eyes. I have an 883 pumped to 1250 and i did'nt tell my buddies. Needless to say they can,t figger out how i can stay with the big bikes. That's the fun of a sleeper.

·
Chrome = Faster !
13 Posts
I have a 2009 Nightster, stock. It's my first motorcycle. I rode twice with two different stock 883s recently and they seemed to rev up just as much as I did or less to achieve XYZ speed. It seems like I'm hoofing it compared to the 883s... as if something is wrong. To keep up, I felt like I was really giving it gas. The bike seems underpowered for 1200cc's. I also rode with another 1200 (2004 Custom, stock) and it seemed to make less noise accelerating at the same rate every single time. I don't get it!??!?!

Do 1200's shovel (work hard, rev high) at 70mph? I feel like I'm revving so high at that speed! The bike with me on it ways 700 pounds. It has about 60 hp. I had a car that had 85 hp and weighed, what, 2,000-ish pounds and accelerated/cruised better!

Are 1200's really any faster than an 883? I didn't drag race or anything, just have this concern of mine from general riding... I figured the 883's would struggle more next to me and it turned out I was the one struggling... I felt like anyway. I don't have a tach so I can't say my own RPMs. I didn't look at theirs.

Also, when I rev sometimes I hear a tinking sound. After I fill up gas, and I rev after starting up, it takes a few careful revs to get the bike to actually rev without seeming to want to sputter. A few times now I've gunned it and heard that tinking sound as well.

I'm thinking, if my bike is "slow" relative to what it should be, maybe there is a relation to this tinking sound. I use 93 octane gas from BP... sometimes Mobil if a BP isn't around. All this happens no matter the tank of gas...

What's your advice?

The "Tinking" Sound your hearing is detonation and it can be very harmfull to your engine !
What Mods have been done to the bike ?? What Octane fuel are you running? All these things play into the equation. But the Detonation is serious and you should be checking the A/F Ratio. MAybe a re-mapp is in order ?? If it's under warranty take it to the dealer and tel them it is "Pinging" they will know what you mean !

·
Registered
31 Posts
agree with bodyman...
i did the pipes, air and fuel management on my bike and its a different beast!
before it ran too lean and would hesitate sometimes due to the lean fuel. now, never again.
warning- your gas mileage will be reduced, but imo its well worth it to ride a rocket instead of a hesitating machine...

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts

What's your advice?
I have a 2008 XL883 with a Stage 1 intake kit and Screaming Eagle Mufflers. It's pretty much a stock bike. It is never any trouble to keep up with an XL1200. The 1200's definitely have more HP, but it does not seem to matter in the real world or riding.

I have noticed that 1200's do seem to have better acceleration when riding two-up than 883's do.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
A smaller engine will rev quicker since there's less rotating mass. Also will not be as deep sounding as yours. The torque difference is what you would probablly notice if you rode one of thier 883's. Little higher revs takin off to do what yours does at idle. Kinda like comparing small/big block chevies. Both will get ya there but two different ways of power delievery. The 97 xl1200 I owned for 4 days seemed to strain around 70-75 whereas the buell will run 85 all day long. Now I'm curious if there's a gearing diff between a sportster and buell of the same yr 1200's. I'll count the teeth later tonight

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
A smaller engine will rev quicker since there's less rotating mass.

The rotating mass for an 883 and a 1200 conversion is the same. If it wasn't you would have to pull the crank to get it balanced when you did the conversion.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
A smaller engine will rev quicker since there's less rotating mass. Also will not be as deep sounding as yours. The torque difference is what you would probablly notice if you rode one of thier 883's. Little higher revs takin off to do what yours does at idle. Kinda like comparing small/big block chevies.

Your comparing an 883 to a 1200 regarding rotating mass, and there's only 217 CCs difference. The only difference between those two engines are the pistons and the cylinder bore and the gearing.

The cylinder bore has no effect on rotating mass.

Gearing has EVERYTHING to do with it.

The 883 has less HPs and Torque so the lower gearing makes up for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an XL1200R, 2008 model UK spec.
One of my buddies has a new 883R.

In standard trim, the 1200 is noticeably quicker all round, especially above 70mph when the 883 is working harder.

Not sure of the pulley teeth count but 70mph equates to 3250rpm on mine and certainly can get the wrong side of 115mph at any time (Apparently !).

Mibbe we get a different set-up ?

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Although I am just learning the HD stuff I imagine 220cc of extra piston weighs a little more than the stock 883's but I may be wrong. I agree gearing is the key factor in acceleration due to the HP/tq differances. Generally in the automotive world smaller cc engines rev quicker. I guess with the huge crank it's not enough weight difference to allow that. Learn something new everyday.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts