Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I see the other post and I've researched my question as well. Although my problem and the other gentlemans problem are similar they are slightly different . My problem doesn't appear until I'm about 50 miles in my bike is a 16 rg ultra I did replace the seat with a low seat from a 12 rg cvo . My trips in the past have Been short trips 15 miles or less . My buddy talked me into a trip to upstate ny to get some seat time in before our lovely winter weather sets in . I was about 50 miles in and my left leg only my left a sharp pain developed on the bottom side of my leg and the best I can describe is that it felt like my leg was dislocated . I stopped got of and after a few minutes I was ok enough to continue. It would then resume in about another 40-50 miles . I realize the new rg ultra has a new seat and to be honest I've only driven a little since I changed the seat almost immediately. Any ideas I've seen the ideas of highway pegs but the lower fairings that may be difficult do they make pegs ? This hammock seat is that what they put on the rg 16 ultra . Any ideas ? Or ami doomed to ride and stop

·
Registered
380 Posts
They make foward highway pegs for your bike. Are you new to riding? I would say it could be your muscles but I am no doctor. If you are overweight and out of shape that could be the problem, if your older like me and don't exercise that could be it. All I know is some people don't exercise as they get older and riding puts a hurtin on them and some people never have a problem with it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you have only been riding 15 miles at a time, I don't think that you could get comfortable with any ergonomic setup. Until you make longer rides regularly and get your body used to the riding position and sitting in the seat, it's impossible to know what might be more comfortable. It's like riding a horse for the first time; it hurts a lot. It takes regular riding to get used to just sitting in the saddle. Keep riding more and taking those frequent breaks. It will get better.

af

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Most Harley-Davidson motorcycles are designed around a theoretical person of 5'-9" or 5'-10" tall that is reasonably fit and able. If you are outside of that description then you are going to need to modify the motorcycle to accommodate your physical stature. Seat, handlebars, floorboards can all be adjusted to help find your comfort settings. It will take a little patience to accomplish this. My suggestion is to start with getting your lower body fitted first (seat & floorboards) before you adjust the handlebars.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Sounds a lot like a nerve is getting pinched. A new seat might deal with the problem as would highway pegs. But there is one thing you might try before you start changing seat. Try an AirHawk inflatable pad. They are available from all J&P and the rest of the catalog places.

I use one on any trips over 100 miles.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I can't remember what it was like 40 years ago but in the last ten it has taken me some time to get use to every new bike I've purchased and the first time out always seemed to stress my legs and shoulders, especially while riding without a windscreen. You are working different muscles when you're riding and jumping from 15 minute to 50 minute rides may have overexerted those muscles. If regular longer riders are something in your future you may want to build yourself up to them with taking more regular 30 ~ 45 minute rides.

Also, having some ability to adjust your position even slightly while riding is a help. If you're locked into one position for very long it can inhibit circulation and become painful.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Are you clinching the tank without realizing it? You could get away with that on short rides, but the tension would show up on longer rides. Longer rides require relaxed muscles and changes of position.

--

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Could be low on potassium. Can cause severe muscle cramps keeping your legs in the same position for extended periods. Eat bananas or take a supplement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok here we go thanks for all the info so far by the way. alright im a bit outside the the 5,9-5,10 5,11 actually and about 300 lbs . the short rides never bothered me but like you said it would be hard to get comfy in that time frame. anyways update on the physical issue . new pains from yesterday lol. embarrassing as it may be but my assbone and the muscle in my groin area hurts as well. I probably did hold against the tank with out realizing it. driving into nyc at 10pm on a week night you would too lol. anyways I think im gonna try switching the seat to my stock seat seems better suited for longer rides.it may be muscle fatige as well judging from my current pain locations. although while riding they did feel better when I stretched them out to the side and leaned forward onto the tank ? any ideas which highway pegs would be better and do you thing a backrest could work?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Any bike.

Ride and think.

What can I change, and what can I get used to.

Try other seats. Just because that's a CVO seat....doesn't mean its the right fit for you.

Get that bike livable n ride.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
All very good advice above.
If you're new to riding you're going to find a lot of things hurting on long rides. Best advice above is keep riding. Some days I can go long distance and some days I want a break every 70-100 miles. Try to relax your lower body (Butt and Legs). Tension will do bad things over many miles.

I've heard good things about the Air Hawk and you might try a backrest. Your dealer should have some demo seats you can try also.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
In addition to the possible spinal problem you may have a circulation problem in the leg called intermittent claudication. Does it happen when you walk a specific distance or length of time?

As others have suggested, see a chiropractor

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Could be a sacroiliac symptom, or arthritis.

Reactions: JPR

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no ive never had that pain on walks ? it did seem to go away for a little hwn I was riding when I was able to stretch it out . ive bought highway pegs im gonna try replacing the cvo I seat I put on and put the stock seat back on .ive read good things about it and would like to try it out. im not not really new to riding just new to long distance . plus I had that new bike nervousness and wasn't as relaxed as ive been on my other bikes ive owned. I do think it may have been stress related in part anyways.

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
Op I'm in queens too I took a ride from queens to Lancaster PA a couple of weeks ago. Try stretching out your muscles before making the long trips. I have back problems and I started to stretch before I ride made a big difference. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts