Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that almost all magazines,web sites say that drag pipes are not the best but yet most bikes have some variation of a drag pipe?I was always a believer the more air you can get in/out of an engine the better the performance,I also read that you shouldn't replace an exaust that has a cross over like my '02 1200C,but the older&newer Sportsters dont have the crossover/balance tube?

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
Im with Ricky ! ... I have a 2002 1200 Custom with the cross bar ... and a smearing eagle II system. What would you all recommend ?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Because drag pipes are not considered to be baffled pipes, and with lost exhaust velocity, and backpressure, some top end HP numbers are gained, at the loss of midrange torque, where we all ride the most.

The pipes you see from V&H, BUB, Reinhardt, Hooker, etc all have internal baffles in them.... removable, but their there.

How much air you get OUT of an engine IS important, but when you start decreasing exhaust velocity, you begin to lose torque and HPs in the low to mid-ranges. And the low and mid-ranges are where we, as street riders, all ride at.

If you were doing a 1/4 mile pass, at top end or near redline....then that's different.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,255 Posts
So that's why they're calld "drag" pipes, thanks for the education

1 - 5 of 5 Posts