Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It drives me crazy that every time I talk to someone about the Softail I just bought or it somehow comes up in conversation that I ride everyone feels like they have to tell me a story about a crash they saw or heard about or it happen the their uncle's, cousin's best friend's brother.

If I told people I just bought a toaster I don't imagine that they would tell how uncle Billy Bob put a fork in one once and that I must be out of my mind for owning a toaster.

I assume they are trying to help me be safe (somehow), but after a while I just hear :blahblah:.

Does this happen often to the rest of you, or is it just me?

I guess I shouldn't rant on my first post, but its happened 3 times today.

Thanks for letting a brotha vent.

Ginsue

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
It drives me crazy that every time I talk to someone about the Softail I just bought or it somehow comes up in conversation that I ride everyone feels like they have to tell me a story about a crash they saw or heard about or it happen the their uncle's, cousin's best friend's brother.

If I told people I just bought a toaster I don't imagine that they would tell how uncle Billy Bob put a fork in one once and that I must be out of my mind for owning a toaster.

I assume they are trying to help me be safe (somehow), but after a while I just hear :blahblah:.

Does this happen often to the rest of you, or is it just me?

I guess I shouldn't rant on my first post, but its happened 3 times today.

Thanks for letting a brotha vent.

Ginsue

Happens to me too, and of course they've got to tell me about the latest and greatest crash they've seen... then there's the talk about why I don't wear a helmet..... it goes in one ear and out the other.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My wife used to get on me, but now she has just given up. How you ride is most important. Be visible, ride the speed limit (within reason) wear protective gear all the time, esp. gloves and a helmet. I'm kind of glad VA has a helmet law because it protects me from myself.

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
All the time. I usually just give them the "yeah, gotta be safe out there," and then walk away.

If they're being douchey about it, I may give them the, "yeah, if we could get the drivers to put their phones down and pay attention there'd be fewer of those stories to tell," or something to that effect.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Well i too have to deal with others. This past Aug, my father was killed by a women talking on her cell and ran into his lane head on. I sold my bike the next week. It took me a few months and alot of soul searching and talking with my fiancee and finally decided, the bike didnt do it and we got another. Now half the people i talk to ask why i wanna ride after what happened and outhers say good for you, cant live your life being scared of death, then youll never do what you wanna do. I figure, i do what i wanna do and ill die when its my time. Just as my father did.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
853 Posts
I guess we all get it. I think from some its jealousy. They're too scared to ride. Have a coworker like that. But I believe if I ride safe and within my limitations I greatly diminish my odds of being in an accident. I truly believe when it's my time a force more powerful than myself will make that call.

Sent from my LGL45C using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
All the time. I usually just give them the "yeah, gotta be safe out there," and then walk away.

If they're being douchey about it, I may give them the, "yeah, if we could get the drivers to put their phones down and pay attention there'd be fewer of those stories to tell," or something to that effect.
Exactly!!

Most motorcycle accidents aren't suicides. They involve dumb F*****G idiot drivers who try so hard to see their cell phones through their own bellybuttons while driving.

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
My favorite is [ how can you ride with those tall handle bars,don't your hands go numb] if I was having any numbness why would I keep them that high.:rofl: Just learn to ignore the unknowing texting while driving:asshat's

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Yep. i usually just tune em out.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I wonder how they would react if I walked up to those same people while they were out on smoke break and began sharing vivid details of my father-in-law's last few months as he died of emphysema?

Or maybe a lengthy diatribe about heart disease and obesity as they stuff a double cheeseburger and fry combo in their face?

We all make our own choices and live ultimately accountable for our own behaviors.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I hear it too. "Don't you worry about getting killed on that thing?"
"Yep, I worry like hell. That's why I go the speed limit (most of the time), and ride like an old lady with my head on a swivel. That's why I'm always anticipating and looking for an out and not putting myself in harm's way. That's why I practice maneuvers and read everything I can get my hands on, regarding safety. I also have a greater power looking over my shoulder too. But when my number is up, it's up. It doesn't matter if I'm on my bike or crossing the street or being struck by lightning. If some douche bag blows through a stop sign and takes me out, it won't really matter whether I was riding, in a car, or in the crosswalk.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hear it sometimes but not alot. When I do hear it though when they are finished I just say "did you say something?"

·
Old Fart
1,367 Posts
I remind them of all the car crashes that happen on a daily
basis all over the world. Then I ask them," You're not still driving
a car every day are you?" Shuts them up every time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was hit in Aug 08 and lost my right leg. On Dec 15, 08, I got my first prosthetic. I was on my bike that very same day. People ask me how I still ride. It's a life style. I can't imagine life not riding. Ride smart, ride safe, and watch out for idiots.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
My favorite is [ how can you ride with those tall handle bars,don't your hands go numb] if I was having any numbness why would I keep them that high.:rofl: Just learn to ignore the unknowing texting while driving:asshat's

Lol...:DeadHorse:

:bike-038:

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
My brother-in-law had a heart attack while he was coupled up with his wife. Guess what I'm still doing every chance I get?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
My brother-in-law had a heart attack while he was coupled up with his wife. Guess what I'm still doing every chance I get?
Eating red meat and garlic bread?

You did ask us to guess!!! :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts