Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Glad to be aboard. Have a 2014 wide glide and wonder how or what you did to make long rides a comfort rather than a beating?
Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Go as fast as you can so that you will be farther down the road when your back starts killing you.
Or get a good seat, some kind of wind screen, and good shocks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
weird member
1,927 Posts
As the others have said, good suspension, the right seat and bars.

Some other things to consider:
• Vibration dampening/ISO[lating] pegs OR floorboards/mini-floorboards (J&P has a mini floorboard, which isn't isolating, but it's small so it doesn't look goofy on an FX bike but big enough to be worthwhile, I have them on mine if you want an idea, click the link in my signature to see pics in my garage, it's also highly adjustable).
• Windshield can help if you get the right one, but that's less important than seat and bars, I have done 850 miles on the slab on mine without a windshield and it was exhausting (though that can be exhausting even with a windshield). But, the less you have to fight the wind, the less you'll get fatigued, the right windshield is whichever produces the least amount of helmet buffeting for you, pick the windshield AFTER you pick a seat and bars, different seat can change how you sit and therefore, where your head will be, and some bars will eliminate the ability to use particular windshields.
• If you look into a seat, look at one with an adjustable, removable backrest. Just adding some back support can help a lot.
• Properly adjusted suspension for the weight, which is much easier for you than for softail owners; load the bike up with what you'd take on a trip and ride on a lumpy road to get an idea of whether you should go tighter or looser for comfort.

With my setup, I have my suspension set right, so it's never a beating, but I do get tired. Mostly, I don't have a windshield and I never stop long enough and and I pound too hard on the speed at the start is my biggest problem. It's mostly my back that gets tired. Though one thing I could do is adjust my backrest some more when I go on trips, I tend to not even touch the backrest around town but on a trip, I should raise it up some and adjust the back of it more forward and let it support me.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
. But, the less you have to fight the wind, the less you'll get fatigued,

Which always makes me wonder why a guy would add high bars without a windshield to go on trips. :oops:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Which always makes me wonder why a guy would add high bars without a windshield to go on trips. :oops:
I actually feel like the wind is less of an issue with my 16" apes than with the stock 10" mini apes on my FXSTC. That said, I'm still looking for a windshield that doesn't look like garbage and doesn't buffet my head so bad my vision blurs for really long trips.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
weird member
1,927 Posts
I dunno how much tall vs short bars would make wind worse/better, or how it would even do that if it had any effect, other than maybe if your arms end up above your shoulders, maybe that could catch more wind?

I know the wind is a lot less of an issue for me just having that bar bag mounted above the headlight. If I take it off, I feel a lot more wind. I guess it works similar to how those mini wind shields that curve forward at the top are supposed to work in principle, or maybe how a truck bed with the tailgate up works: creating a different pressure and flow in front of it that throws incoming air higher?

Well, I can't say the bag reduces the air at all, but it's definitely less turbulent with it than without, the way that I have it mounted on there.

1368668876776.jpg Wirbelwind2.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Honestly, A windscreen that keeps the air off of your chest helps alot with fatigue, and it doesn't wear you out just holding on. I suppose it depends on your speed, backroads not so much but 80MPH hour after hour on the slab wears on me without a fairing. But Im old.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
weird member
1,927 Posts
I have a detachable windshield for mine, but the mounting hardware is on the wrecked bike (windshield is in the attic). I tried putting it on once before, and the windshield I think is maybe no good. At 45 mph, it was all bending back under the wind and blasting me directly in the face, neck and chest.

It's why I don't use one, never bothered to find another windshield. I probably should for long trips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts