Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a wide glide from the last year of the last century. The first owner at some point had a Metzler 140-90-16 put on the rear. The stock size calls for a 130-90-16,which I was informed by my Indy mechanic that would and does come too close to the belt drive. He adjusted it ever so slightly as to not rub on the belt. In the experts opinion should I change back to the recommended size or run out the life of the current tire and then change out??
I'm just a little concerned about alignment issues and undo stress on the final drive unit.
Tire may be cheaper than a rebuild of final drive of tranny...any thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Later models came with narrow drive belts so MOCO could put bigger tires on it .
My 02 W/G came with the smaller belt & 150/8016 size rear tire .I personally would rather have the older wider/stronger belt that would probably double the life of that expensive belt as compared to the smaller belt . Another draw back of the super wide rear tires is weird corner handling & less traction in wet weather . Just as with cars with big wide tires hydroplane quicker than narrower tires , have more drag therefore less MPG and eat up more horsepower due to their increased weight/drag .
But yes they look impressive if that's what is important to you .

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Later models came with narrow drive belts so MOCO could put bigger tires on it .

My 02 W/G came with the smaller belt & 150/8016 size rear tire .I personally would rather have the older wider/stronger belt that would probably double the life of that expensive belt as compared to the smaller belt . Another draw back of the super wide rear tires is weird corner handling & less traction in wet weather . Just as with cars with big wide tires hydroplane quicker than narrower tires , have more drag therefore less MPG and eat up more horsepower due to their increased weight/drag .

But yes they look impressive if that's what is important to you .

If I go back to the stock 130-90-16 is there differences in load ratings of the say 130 over the 140? Someone on the forum stated that a 99 wg. would accept a 140-90-16 without any rubbing issues to the belt...they said the Dunlop (elites) should be the tire to do that over the current metzlers. Any tire experts have anymore info before I pull the trigger on the Dunlop 140-90-16??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts