Harley Davidson Forums banner

Wide Glide vs Breakout

17K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  FurryOne 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with both of these bikes? What are your thoughts on how they compare? Also, has anyone changed the bars on the Breakout and if so, what did you go with and how did they alter the feel?

#2 ·
I rode my buddies wide glide and found it to be very comfortable in both seating position and ride quality. The Breakout has the extended rake and wide back tire and I have found that to be excellent for cornering. I feel the bumps much more on my Breakout but I have not adjusted the suspension yet. Admittedly I bought the BO for looks but I am very happy with ride comfort on that also.

I know several people that changed to the CVO breakout handlebars and loved them in contrast to the standard bars. The dealership should let you take both models for a test drive, at least the WG. I think another small benefit to the WG is the chance of finding a used one for cheaper. The standard BO is new so high demand so it is harder to find a good deal.

#3 ·
I didn't have a chance to ride either of them yet, but I sat on both of these bikes earlier this week and I definitely think the Breakout is more comfortable to sit on with the bigger seat. However, the Wide Glide seemed to fit me pretty well also.

The big thing I noticed right off was the handlebars. I'm 6'1" and have reasonably long arms, but I now understand why people are complaining about the bars being too low and too far forward. The riding position wasn't terrible, however, I did find it a little awkward compared to the Wide Glide.

I've seen photos of the new Breakout with the bars from the CVO Breakout as well as the bars from a Slim. I wish I could sit on one and see how that felt.

One strange thing is that for some reason I don't really like the way the Breakout looks in photos, but in person it looks badass. Can't figure out why that is.

#9 ·
I have a 1996 dwglide w carb & straights.. love it. I had an '88 softail custom, carb, cam & straights, shoulda never traded it in.
anyway, if you want to spend alot of money on customizing, there are far more custom parts fot the softail. Good luck... :thumb either way.

EDIT: feel? its what you make it.

#11 ·
I'm in the low country of SC and I swear it rained like crazy everyday in June. It's so bad, we had gators leaving the swamps because there's too much water.
Now THERE's a road hazzard... with teeth! :eek I came up over a rise Sunday to see a deer standing in the middle of my lane. Luckily he/she turned and bounded back into the brush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.