Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!! I'm new to the forum and would like some opinions on the wide glide. I'm border line on buying my first harley and immediately fell in love with the WG. Test drove it and it felt pretty good. Just want some personal opinions on if before spending this amount of money for one. Thanks in advance. Big Ben

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,591 Posts
I love the look. I have never owned one, but I love the dynas. Good luck with your decision.

Hope you head over to "New to the Community" and post a short bio and stick around for a while. This is a great forum.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
When I was purchasing I was wavering between the WideGlide and SuperGlide. (At the time they both had 96" engines. I went with the SuperGlide because I felt it handled a little better low speed (parking lot) and they didn't have a Black WideGlide in stock.

If I were making the decision today I really don't know which way I'd go.

·
Señor Member
19,591 Posts
When I was purchasing I was wavering between the WideGlide and SuperGlide. (At the time they both had 96" engines. I went with the SuperGlide because I felt it handled a little better low speed (parking lot) and they didn't have a Black WideGlide in stock.

If I were making the decision today I really don't know which way I'd go.
What are the differences, Mr. Giacona?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have a 2000 WG. It is mostly stock with a hypercharger, SE slip-on pipes, some other subtle chrome goodies. I upgraded to gear-drive cams to dodge the tensioner issue. I love the bike; it is quick and responsive and not bad on longer rides. It does look purdy too.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
What are the differences, Mr. Giacona?
Remember, I was new to big bikes at the time. It just didn't feel as stable in really low speed, clutch friction area, dragging the rear brake type maneuvering.

It could well have been just me at the time. I might not even notice the difference now with 2 years of bigger bike experience.

But the two they had on the floor weren't black and that was really a killer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Chief,
I have been looking at the latest Dyna's trying to decide, and I noticed that there are large spec differences between the Wide Glide and the Superglide (at least current models, I am not sure about older ones).
Basically wideglide is styled much like a classic chopper , low, with extended front end.

Superglide has a wheelbase of 64 inches, rake of 29 degrees and trail of 4.7 inches
Wideglide has a wheelbase of 67.5 inches, rake of 34 degrees and trail of 5.2 inches

So Wideglide would definitely feel harder to maneuver at slow speeds, particularly to a beginner, because of its aggressive chopper-esque front end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that is something I have been debating was the wide glide and super glide. I like the longer front forks and the bigger engines on the newer wide glides. Gives it a more bad ass look to it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Chief,
I have been looking at the latest Dyna's trying to decide, and I noticed that there are large spec differences between the Wide Glide and the Superglide (at least current models, I am not sure about older ones).
Basically wideglide is styled much like a classic chopper , low, with extended front end.

Superglide has a wheelbase of 64 inches, rake of 29 degrees and trail of 4.7 inches
Wideglide has a wheelbase of 67.5 inches, rake of 34 degrees and trail of 5.2 inches

So Wideglide would definitely feel harder to maneuver at slow speeds, particularly to a beginner, because of its aggressive chopper-esque front end.
All of this. Additionally, the Wide Glide has wider forks, which is where the name comes from (though I don't know that this would affect maneuvering at low speeds) and a thinner front tire on a 21" wheel.

Aside from that, current Wide Glides have a 2-1-2 exhaust system and a bobbed rear fender.

·
Señor Member
19,591 Posts
Thanks guys. I know what they look like. Are there any differences in motor, suspension, etc., or are all the handling differences due to design. You know what I mean?

·
Señor Member
19,591 Posts
I always thought they were the same bikes pretty much except the front end and toys.

·
Captain Dave
108 Posts
I have 8K on my 2012 Wide Glide now and still think the bike is bad A$$. The guys who responded all say about the same thing, a little rough at slow speeds and though the tight twisties. If you like the WG look and it fits you, get it! You will learn how to muscle the scooter though the slow turns. Tis bike ca be dressed up for a trip and then stripped down for the boulevard blasting that's fun o this bike. Good luck, and send pics when you make your decision.

·
BigDaddy2Four
9 Posts
I bought my 99 wide glide last year as my first bike EVER.. I took the msf class and went shopping. My options were kinda limited because I'm 6'7, so I needed something a little bigger than a normal beginners bike;so I don't look like a spider crunched up while riding. I love my bike, handles well enough at low speeds even for a noob and has enough get up to satisfy the speed dope craving when I'm feening. It's an awesome ride. 1372383171601.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks guys. I know what they look like. Are there any differences in motor, suspension, etc., or are all the handling differences due to design. You know what I mean?
Aside from the changes in the front wheel/tire sizes and front end geometry, there are no substantive changes that I am aware of.

The rake angle is what provides the bike with a 67" wheelbase; the frame isn't any longer. This alone will make the bike handle differently from a Super Glide or a Street Bob. The tall and narrow tire will also provide different handling characteristics than a regular Dyna.

Otherwise, same engines, same rear suspension design, same frame.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
It was early 2011 and I was shopping for a bigger than my Sportster bike. I really liked the looks of the WG. But I found a number of negative WG comments on the Internet--most related to low speed handling with the raked out front end. And I was also looking at Superglides--but I'll be danged if I will ever have spoke wheels again. Yes, they are classic and pretty--but too hard to keep clean, and then you have to learn how to adjust the spokes, etc. From my shopping on the HD website I liked the looks of the Fat Bob but didn't think I would like the drag style bars. Then I sat on a Fat Bob at a dealership. WOW! I loved the way those bars felt. So I bought a Fat Bob. Really enjoyed riding it--till I felt the need for a touring bike and got my RoadGlide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive got a 2013 wide glide and I love it. The stock seat aint that comfy though so I changed it to a Mustang seat. The forward controls are great and the rake out looks good. But like others have said for slow speeds it is a bit difficult to keep in a straight line which makes filtering through traffic a bit nerve racking. An 883 sportster would leave me standing through a set of tight corners because the WG has a wide turning circle. But on a nice long sweeping corner it feels good and well planted. That said though, if you line your tight corners up right you can keep good pace, and the grin factor is awesome as you accelerate up the straights. The brakes are comical and the suspension is not the best on uneven roads, but who cares, its a Harley. Would I recommend the WG? Yes. Am I glad I got it? Yes. Would I get another one if I get another Harley? No, Id get Id get a Softail.

·
Señor Member
19,591 Posts
Aside from the changes in the front wheel/tire sizes and front end geometry, there are no substantive changes that I am aware of.

The rake angle is what provides the bike with a 67" wheelbase; the frame isn't any longer. This alone will make the bike handle differently from a Super Glide or a Street Bob. The tall and narrow tire will also provide different handling characteristics than a regular Dyna.

Otherwise, same engines, same rear suspension design, same frame.
Thanks, gentleman. That's what I'm talking about.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts