Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an '09 Crossbones and want to put wide white walls on it. Can find the front no problem, but the 200/55R17 on the rear seems non existent. Does anyone make one?
Also....why a radial on the rear and a bias ply on the front?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Just got an '09 Crossbones and want to put wide white walls on it. Can find the front no problem, but the 200/55R17 on the rear seems non existent. Does anyone make one?
Not aware of any company that makes one, yet. Not a popular size, nor demand for a whitewall.

Dunlop® MT135/90B16 72H
Dunlop® 200/55 R17 78V

True, you ARE running a Radial in the rear, and a Bias in the front, but I can only explain that due to the front tire is an old design, and the newer, wider rear tire is a new design.

Harley, like other companies, will use what's available.

Considering Radial and Bias tires have different levels of traction and cornering characteristics, I wouldn't sweat it. You're not racing your bike, and your front forks are WWI technology, made pretty, so the Bias tire will be right at home. :D

If you were running a racing circuit, I'd worry. The tread design is the same, and the tire configuration matches, for smoother cornering trasnsitions. Considering the front tire is rated for 130 and the rear 149 mph, again..... you'll never need that either.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome from San Marcos, Tejas.
Gateway to the Hill Country & Devils Backbone.
Gotta love them Wide Glide's

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome -

·
What?
3,256 Posts
:welcome

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave63. Looks like I'll just have to color the rear tire if I want wide white walls till some one starts producing.
So the front tire is a 135, not 130?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
No.....it's a 130. MT90-16. You caught me on "Fat Fingered Friday".

My bad....

·
Registered
3 Posts
got the same problem -
tryin' to remake my 2008 Xbones to the Bobber style - need wide whitewall tires -
looks like Dunlop D407
Dunlop TireD407
and of 180/65B16 size- is the widest one...
friends advised to change rear rim to R16 (the same as in the front) - looks like a real Old school and still it's 180 mm at least...
as well there are some tires like this - http://www.the-slicks.com/fundos/ori_david.jpg - i've seen them with whitewalls, guess it's Avon tires, as far as i know they're also R16 and only of 150mm width...( besides it's just a shhow as far as i know they only look good but are very firm on the road and definitely not for long trips(((
though i don't trust dunlop - very slippery in the rain - i mean those we have monted in stock version...

plz, let me know if you've found smsth around 200 mm!:thumbsup

·
The Old Curmudgeon
1,138 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Illinois.

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Welcome from Kandahar!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Welcome from Hamilton, Ontario

·
_-FEARLESS-_
3,893 Posts
Welcome from VA :thumb

·
Custom Painter
392 Posts
Speaking of white wall tires. I spoke to a tire guy at Dunlop yesterday. This is what he told me about white wall tires. He claims that they wear out faster than conventional black walls. Yep, that's what he said right in my ear. He claims that the reason for this strange occurrence is due to the thickened rubber where the white wall is, and the fact that it generates more heat at the tread , therefore reduces the life by about 2500 miles. I have never heard that before in my life. So, when I ordered my tires form my dealer, I asked him the same thing. He said he gets complaints all the time from people claiming that their new white wall tires they bought did not last as long as their black walls. Ok, don't flame me, I'm just the messenger.:fitz

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of a Crossbones with white wall tires installed that they can share? Greetings from lovely Iraq.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts