Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to replace the rear tire with a wider one, when i bring the bike for service next week. I want to go to a 200, but I believe the 16 inch rim cant take anything more than a 180. It does look like the fender can handle it though. Thoughts?

·
Wayward Son
23,057 Posts
More then just the fender and rim I think you will need to worry about.

·
8,584 Posts
If you're going to a wider rim you may have to check the rear belt sprocket aligns with the front belt sprocket...otherwise you may through a drive belt in the middle of nowhere!! Also...will the tire hit the swingarm?? ...just sayin'!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're going to a wider rim you may have to check the rear belt sprocket aligns with the front belt sprocket...otherwise you may through a drive belt in the middle of nowhere!! Also...will the tire hit the swingarm?? ...just sayin'!
Even MoCo has no clue what will work because it's a completely new model. No longer a Dyna and not really a Softail. My plan is to go as wide as i can on the stock rim for now.

·
Wayward Son
23,057 Posts
Seriously doubt a 200 will fit in the stock swingarm.
As Jimmers said the belt may be an issue too. Believe most fat tire kits come with a narrower belt.
Have heard their life expectancy is not very good.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
May not be that big of a deal I put a 180 on my old road king in place of the stock 130. If the belt gives you problems switch it to a chain

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously doubt a 200 will fit in the stock swingarm.
As Jimmers said the belt may be any issue too. Believe most fat tire kits come with a narrower belt.
Have heard their life expectancy is not very good.
Thanks for the info ThunderStruck. I guess it'll have to be a 180 then for now. They went to a 150 on the 2018 SB from a 160 on the 2017 Dyna, and IMO its way too thin for a bobber. The list of things to do is growing by the day LOL

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, went to MoCo this weekend, and they don't even want to discuss putting in a wider tire. They said the 180 rear tire is "too close" to the fender, and they don't even want to try. They suggested to have an independent shop do it for me. I asked if it's a warranty issue, and they said it will not impact the warranty.

Has anyone had this experience with them?

·
Wayward Son
23,057 Posts
Sounds like a potential liability issue.
The MoCo will run fast and far from that.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a potential liability issue.
The MoCo will run fast and far from that.
I guess i understand. To me it seems they just have no experience with the new model, and don't even want to entertain it. I don't know anyone who would keep such a thin tire on a bobber, so they will be getting many more requests like mine.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
They may be getting a lot of requests, but until they get a "plan" putting a wider tire on COULD be a warranty issue. If the wider tire causes some problem?? Then the warranty would not cover that problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
Had similar issues getting answers for my Break Out when it was a new model back in 2013. Even simple stuff seemed to really stump them. I think HD would really benefit from some better training on these new models. I had the run around from everything to a new headlight to the tuner. Just don't let them tell you that it wont be a warranty issue because "They said" won't amount to squat if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They may be getting a lot of requests, but until they get a "plan" putting a wider tire on COULD be a warranty issue. If the wider tire causes some problem?? Then the warranty would not cover that problem.
That's exactly what i was thinking. They don't have a clue about what fits and what doesn't with the new 2018 Softail line. They knew the old Dynas inside and out, but nothing about this Hybrid Dyna/Softail. They will deal with it slowly as more requests come in, and eventually have a solution. They even went to a 150 rear from a 160 on the 2017s. Not a big difference, but this bike is totally new. From the front and rear suspension to the M8.

Just like with the forward controls. MoCo told me they have at least 1 request a day to get the Street Bob fitted with forwards. They said they will have the forwards sometime between now and the summer. IDK why they wouldn't have had them ready to go when they released the new SB, but that's how it goes.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had similar issues getting answers for my Break Out when it was a new model back in 2013. Even simple stuff seemed to really stump them. I think HD would really benefit from some better training on these new models. I had the run around from everything to a new headlight to the tuner. Just don't let them tell you that it wont be a warranty issue because "They said" won't amount to squat if something goes wrong.
I Agree! They do need a bit more training on the new models, but i also think it's all trial and error with new bikes. Different people have different requests, and a lot of people don't want to screw with something that can void the warranty, so they won't even try many things.

True. I have one service guy telling me it won't void the warranty, but if something does get screwed up they will throw their hands up and say not our problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing and have been told that going up to a 180 on a 16' rim will work. I'm going to measure the width of the rear fender and the 180 tire and go to a indy dealer. We'll see what happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts