Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a Sportster & am going through all the specs of what I like/don't like/will want to change. I'm leaning towards a new/newer Custom (or FortyEight) because I really like the look of the symmetrical tires & the wider/smaller/beefier tires. Because I'm so infatuated w/ the tires, if I buy a stock Custom it has to be 2011 or newer (when they changed the front tire width). I also like some other/older Sportsters again except for the tires.

My question is: what is the widest tire I can safely fit on a stock Sportster? I've seen some posts about wide tire kits for Dynas but nothing for Sportsters. I (think I) could save more than a few bucks on an older Sportster if I can buy/fit the tires I want separately but don't want to get in over my head. Also, I'm not the most mechanically gifted & am new to motorcycles so I can't get myself into a crazy hard mod project.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
I could be wrong but i think it's a 150 on the rear and a 130 on the front. I don't think you can go any wider on the rear but you might be able to go bigger on the front depending on the rim size. ....

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
A 150 is stock on the rear. Its also the widest tire recommended for that 3 inch wide rim. In order to go wider a rear rim needs to be replaced. That's for a 16 inch tire. The sportster low uses a 17 inch tire and has a wider tire and rim combo.

To run a 130mm front tire a different rim has to be used and no fender will fit in the OEM forks.

The 48 has different wider triple trees than other XL models.

·
Registered
685 Posts
you can get a kit for a wider rear tire if you want to go super wide but will have to replace the swing arm ,wheel ,extend the sprockets run a chain and the one i rode , rode like crap .

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I'm been looking at the Miss November which is a Forty-Eight on my 2012 H-D Calendar for 16 days and the front tire looks huge compared to my SuperGlide Custom.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
That's because it has a wider triple tree set and it's a completely different front end with exception of the fork legs. Even at that....new SG models have 54mm legs vs the xl models 39mm legs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Buy a reasonably priced bike of your choice and use a Vulcan WG triple tree kit for around $500. This kit uses a 2000-up wheel which can be found cheaply on ebay and the like. I used the Vulcan kit along with a set of wheels off a '06 Road King on my '07 883L...tires are 150/80-16's front and rear.

Btw, this kit utilizes the stock 39mm fork tubes/lowers. If you try to duplicate what H-D did you will have a boatload of money tied up in it...they used a mid-glide and an oddball wheel/hub combination. Shown in the above pic's are a tin set off a 2011 SuperLow.

·
In the wind
422 Posts
Your Fat 883 is fine HOF. :thumbsup Nice mod route.
The new 1200C comes fat for the new owners. The new C comes with a 150/80-16 rear & 130/90-16 front.
I hope to do the Bobcat myself on my Sporty.
Not trying to hijack but how do you like that pipe? Sound? Performance?
My parts guy speaks very well of D & D...

·
Registered
131 Posts
As far as the D&D Bobcat exhaust is concerned, I never gave anything else the slightest consideration once I saw one on another bike. Best looking/sounding exhaust I have ever come across on a Sportster hands down. My advice for the OP was to buy a used bike for cheap and make the mod's himself instead of taking H-D's version.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your Fat 883 is fine HOF. :thumbsup Nice mod route.
The new 1200C comes fat for the new owners. The new C comes with a 150/80-16 rear & 130/90-16 front.
I hope to do the Bobcat myself on my Sporty.
That being said, since I don't already own a bike, would it even be cost effective to buy a slightly older Sportster to buy & install the kit, new wheels/tires & whatnot or just cut to the chase & buy a newer 48 or Custom?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I used the Vulcan kit along with a set of wheels off a '06 Road King on my '07 883L...tires are 150/80-16's front and rear..
Where did you find a 150 front Dunlop?

·
Registered
131 Posts
That being said, since I don't already own a bike, would it even be cost effective to buy a slightly older Sportster to buy & install the kit, new wheels/tires & whatnot or just cut to the chase & buy a newer 48 or Custom?

I bought this '07 883L w/1640 miles on it for $3600 on ebay last year...deals are out there.

Who decided you could not run a rear tire on the front? Works just the same...here is the bike at some point when I had a turbo on it. Many 120mph + blasts down the road showed narry a wobble or any handling issues with the tires...note I'm hitting the 7K rev-limiter on every gear change because I had no shift-lite or tach at that time.

http://s434.photobucket.com/albums/qq69/rickss69/Turbo install/?action=view&current=14psiV7logging002.mp4

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Who decided you could not run a rear tire on the front? Works just the same...here is the bike at some point when I had a turbo on it. Many 120mph + blasts down the road showed narry a wobble or any handling issues with the tires...
Uhm...I guess the manufacturers. Hence tire carcases being made differently for front and rear, as well as tread design.

The D404 is hardly the tire I'd be making 120 mph passes on. I'd also never attempt those speeds on any bike without a speed damper installed.

I guess the reason I asked is because all the pics show a 130 front tire, and not a 150. As well, the 130 with your kit BARELY misses the fender, so I'd imagine a 150 would scrape the fender mounts. Insanely cool bike, regardless.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Buy a reasonably priced bike of your choice and use a Vulcan WG triple tree kit for around $500. This kit uses a 2000-up wheel which can be found cheaply on ebay and the like. I used the Vulcan kit along with a set of wheels off a '06 Road King on my '07 883L...tires are 150/80-16's front and rear.

Btw, this kit utilizes the stock 39mm fork tubes/lowers. If you try to duplicate what H-D did you will have a boatload of money tied up in it...they used a mid-glide and an oddball wheel/hub combination. Shown in the above pic's are a tin set off a 2011 SuperLow.
That's a beautiful bike bro! .. I'm in the process of adding a wide glide front end as well. I was going to spend the $400+ for a Vulcan works but I lucked out and found a used one on Ebay for $100 (including shipping). I did buy the nex axle and spacers from Vulcan works though. ... DId you ut yours on yourself or did you have it done?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's a beautiful bike bro! .. I'm in the process of adding a wide glide front end as well. I was going to spend the $400+ for a Vulcan works but I lucked out and found a used one on Ebay for $100 (including shipping). I did buy the nex axle and spacers from Vulcan works though. ... DId you ut yours on yourself or did you have it done?
Thanks - It was an idea I had and was fortunate it worked out well. Yes, I put it together myself...pretty straight forward and no special tools or real expertise required.

(Ooops)

·
Registered
12 Posts
HandOverFist, I'm looking to do a similar build on a 93 XLH1200(Anniv), and have some questions.

Is the front tire shown a 150?
Did you use the Vulcan front fender?
Did you include any rake?
What tank did you use?
Will the 93 take a 150 rear without much mod?
Did you slam the rear?
Did you have to shim the pullys, cover, guard, and shocks?

Thx, your input has already inspired me...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forty Eight rear tire

Hi,
I couldn't find any retro looking 150/80/16 tire so I was wondering
is it possible to put 130/90-16 tire on the rear OEM rim (Forty Eight)?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts