Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Buy a reasonably priced bike of your choice and use a Vulcan WG triple tree kit for around $500. This kit uses a 2000-up wheel which can be found cheaply on ebay and the like. I used the Vulcan kit along with a set of wheels off a '06 Road King on my '07 883L...tires are 150/80-16's front and rear.

Btw, this kit utilizes the stock 39mm fork tubes/lowers. If you try to duplicate what H-D did you will have a boatload of money tied up in it...they used a mid-glide and an oddball wheel/hub combination. Shown in the above pic's are a tin set off a 2011 SuperLow.
Just came across your thread and let me tell you that your bike is one of the nicest customized sportsters I have ever seen. What a great job you did. I love the color and the wide tires. Really nice work

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Hi,
I couldn't find any retro looking 150/80/16 tire so I was wondering
is it possible to put 130/90-16 tire on the rear OEM rim (Forty Eight)?
What do you mean by retro looking?? Something like this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 07 1200C Sporster. Mine has the chrome (Bicycle Type) front rim. The absolute biggest I could get on mine, and keep the front fender was a 90/90. Rear is a 150/80. This is as big as u can go without a ton of changes.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts

·
In the wind
422 Posts
On my '13 Custom, which I have changed up wheels sizes a bit from the stock bobber 16's (gone to 19"/17"), I have a 170/60 in the rear and a 120/70 up front.
Anyone with a mid glide spoked Custom can do some creative wheel sizing. Or any spoked bike for that matter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but in case anyone is looking for information on options, thought I'd add my experience in. Recently installed a 150/80-16 front and 170/70-16 rear on my 2015 Harley Forty Eight, both on new 16x3.5 wheels. Everything fit great without needing any mods. The 170 rear is suppose to be on a wider rim, but from what information I was able to find, decided to move forward with it, and haven't had any problems (yet at least). So far I haven't noticed any difference in handling compared to the stock tires, but I also don't ride very aggressively. It's been a positive change and experience so far, and was exactly what I was looking for aesthetically.

Attachments

21 - 29 of 29 Posts