Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been riding with me for awhile now and has decided she wants her own bike. She has never driven a bike before and i will have her take the safety class first before we do anything but my question is how do people feel about their GF/WF riding alone? I talked to a friend of mine and he told me it was not as much fun for him to ride any more because when his wife is riding her bike he is more worried about her then if they were riding together on his bike. Now with that being said would like to get some suggestions on which bike to get she is about 5'7 and alittle on the heavy but loveable side. i found a 04 low rider at my dealer with 20k for $7500 and a 13 sportster 110 edition with 300mil for $9500 or with it being her starter bike a 883 sportster on CL for $3500 thanks for the info

·
Former Lurker
2,912 Posts
I had a friend and group in NC that I used to ride with, we would often take the wives as passengers... Good times.
When my friend's wife decided to ride, she took the classes and was slow as hell.
Even after a year of riding, she was slow and timid.
It was a real pita to take them along. No one in the group wanted to ride with them anymore. Even my friend. He felt guilty about not wanting her along, but it kind of ruined things...
Didn;t mean to sound harsh...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I love riding with my wife on her own bike. It really give us something to do together that we both love. My wife took a safety class with Harley got her endorsement. I would recommend a Harley 759 or a Harley xl88ll low.

·
Former Lurker
2,912 Posts
I know that there are PLENTY of very good women riders.
I'm sure that many are better than me.
It just did not work out that way for my buddy.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I would think a cheap dirt bike and classes. Get her to ride in the dirt, drop it a time or two. It will happen. If she gets into it and rides well, then step up to the street. JMO

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
I had a friend and group in NC that I used to ride with, we would often take the wives as passengers... Good times.
When my friend's wife decided to ride, she took the classes and was slow as hell.
Even after a year of riding, she was slow and timid.
It was a real pita to take them along. No one in the group wanted to ride with them anymore. Even my friend. He felt guilty about not wanting her along, but it kind of ruined things...
Didn;t mean to sound harsh...
Maybe she started with too big of a bike. A used 350 to really learn the subtleties of riding. If you are always too afraid, you'll never push the envelope. That's where you learn the most.

Then trade up next season. I think a sportster is too powerful for any beginner.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its going to be in the high 40s and cloudy tomorrow so might be a good time to get out and check the dealers to see what will fit her but honestly how long of a ride can you take on a sportster at one time compared to a low rider

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,673 Posts
My wife rode dirtbikes when she was a kid and then as a passenger and then many years went by and she never as much was a passenger on one.
Bout ten years ago she decided to get back into riding her own, she could ride very well and enrolled in classes and she handles her bike better than a lot of people I know. Know some gals that tried and decided it wasn't for them and that O.K.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would suggest she take the class and see if she still feels like riding her own. If she does, then go find a cheap bike that fits her and let her ride it for a season. Then if she wants to step up in size, then it can be her choice. Don't push her into a bigger bike too soon or it may ruin it for her.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
take class then get her a bike that low rider seams like a good deal just my 02 sportsters just because they way few pounds less are not easier to ride they have a higher center of gravity then some other models check seat height and how bike feels to her let her tell you what she likes

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i know this wont go over very well-
get her a honda shadow to start with-
things are cheap used- light weight- and handle easily - imho a way better beginner bike for a small lady

·
Registered
476 Posts
i know this wont go over very well-
get her a honda shadow to start with-
things are cheap used- light weight- and handle easily - imho a way better beginner bike for a small lady
I agree. My wife started on a Yamaha. Took a few years off before we met and now has her own Sporty 1200. Told me she wouldn't want to embarrass me by riding something else although she was looking at an Indian Scout before she rode the sporty and fell in live with it. I have trouble keeping up with her sometimes. She likes dusting me at the lights.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
my wifes very petite, 5', 95lbs and thats it, were looking into the new urban harley 750. smaller frame, very nimble and from what ive heard, they are pretty snappy.. she rides dirt bikes, her favorite is the yz 80, it shouldnt be to much of a jump for her

·
Registered
100 Posts
For her first ride look into a used 650 Vstar, great starter bikes. Not too much power but still enough to get on the super slab if you have to. My wife tried her own and it just did not work out, she prefers to sit in the boss's chair and just chill and take pics.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,741 Posts
Xg750. New.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My wife said she wanted to learn to ride, tried several different bikes including the Harley Free Wheeler. At five foot tall it's hard to find a good fit. The Free Wheeler had a perfect fit and feel. The next day we went for a 100 miler and she decided to remain a passenger so she could relax and watch the scenery. Seeing the price of the Free Wheeler might have had something to do with her decision.

Enjoy The Ride

Only A Biker Knows Why A Dog Hangs Its Head Out The Window

:biking:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts