Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes 2008 1200 sportster when you turn switch on you can hear fuel pump but I'm very sure its not getting fuel...I put some down plug holes and it starts...but won't stay running....pretty sure its the fuel pump...could it be anything else?..I'm sure its not getting fuel though....Thx in advance!

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,164 Posts
Looks like you'll have to pull the pump and check. There's a hose that connects the fuel pump to an internal fuel filter. Could be that has gotten brittle and broken.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Looks like you'll have to pull the pump and check. There's a hose that connects the fuel pump to an internal fuel filter. Could be that has gotten brittle and broken.
From the SIP, it looks like that hoes is sold as part of the fuel pump housing (item 15). Am i reading this correctly?

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,164 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...I disconnected outside tank hook-up and turned switch on and fuel pump shot gas out of tank. I then proceeded to clean both relays and fuses and even tried swapping relays and still don't start. I have good spark and I am sure its fuel related...is there a fuel regulator somewhere that could be bad? Started fine a few weeks ago...just seems its not getting fuel.....thx for anyone's suggestions.

·
Just Ride
4,154 Posts
I suggest buying a manual, could be a fuel filter problem or regulator or etc...

·
Retired citizen
26,071 Posts
If fuel shot out of the tank bung with the hose disconnected the check valve isn't functioning, maybe stuck open or bad orings. The check valve is the part the hose plugs into under the tank.
There's a pressure regulator in the fuel filter housing inside the tank. Also if you find a bad hose inside the tank avoid replacing with standard rubber fuel hose, won't last and won't contain pump pressure.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It only shot out bung hole when I turned the prime switch on....then stopped...so that makes me think that it is not the check valve?...I don't have a fuel pressure tester to check it.
If fuel shot out of the tank bung with the hose disconnected the check valve isn't functioning, maybe stuck open or bad orings. The check valve is the part the hose plugs into under the tank.
There's a pressure regulator in the fuel filter housing inside the tank. Also if you find a bad hose inside the tank avoid replacing with standard rubber fuel hose, won't last and won't contain pump pressure.

·
Retired citizen
26,071 Posts
It only shot out bung hole when I turned the prime switch on....then stopped...so that makes me think that it is not the check valve?...I don't have a fuel pressure tester to check it.
OK so it wasn't a continuous stream of fuel squirting ? It shouldn't do that either, should just be a dribble, enough to dampen your hand is all. But it sounds like your fuel system is working up to that point.

Try unplugging the maxi-fuse for a minute to reset the electrical system. Then try starting as usual. Let us know what happens ... Then check for stored codes afterwards if there are any.

Reactions: Bill Capp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled fuse and cleaned...it checked out ok...still nothing. I don't have any scanner to check for codes....the security system wouldn't be affecting it would it? I thought it wouldn't even turn over if it was that. I put new batteries
OK so it wasn't a continuous stream of fuel squirting ? It shouldn't do that either, should just be a dribble, enough to dampen your hand is all. But it sounds like your fuel system is working up to that point.

Try unplugging the maxi-fuse for a minute to reset the electrical system. Then try starting as usual. Let us know what happens ... Then check for stored codes afterwards if there are any.
in key fob also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts