Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heeeeeeey Everybody,

So this coming Sunday morning the wife and I are going for a ride with my dad and his girlfriend. Leaving from dad's and going downtown to pick up his OL and then riding to Kegel's HD (The World's Oldest HD Dealer)for their famous Sunday brunch.

It will be 2 hours of riding to get there and then 1.5 hours home.

Here is the thing, my wife has never ridden longer than 30 minutes. After the first ride on the Night Train she refused to ride until I made it more comfortable. I did that by buying a Road King :know

When I bought the RK she was pregnant so there was no riding. So far this summer we have been too busy with work, housework, kids, etc.... to do any 2 up riding.

I am very adamant that the rest of our lives move forward with motorcycling being a big part.

I am certain that a bigger more comfy seat and a passenger back rest are going to make a world of difference as far as her physical and mental comfort are concerned.

What other tips do you all have to make this an extremely enjoyable experience that leaves her wanting more?????????

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Comfy seat, tall, large backrest, and my wife likes the floorboards. Make sure she is not experiencing helmet buffeting/ excessive wind noise. And stop and take a break if she needs it.

Helmet buffeting is a big one, if you are running a windshield.

·
Armed&Conscientious
535 Posts
I did exactly as stangs is saying, the breaks are very important, I pushed it a little further a couple of times and the ride ended up shorter than I planned.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I did exactly as stangs is saying, the breaks are very important, I pushed it a little further a couple of times and the ride ended up shorter than I planned.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Exactly. A little bit further every time. My wife asks to go for rides now. I made absolutely sure she was comfortable.

1863 miles, 7 days. :)

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I blew that too, should have stopped a lot more she's not real quick to get right back on the bike.

I cant remember if you have guard bags.. if ya do, just take em off this go around, more foot room. If you have the driver's backrest, take that off too, its uncomfortable for long rides for her. Stay off the throttle too, that will save ya a smack in the head.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I blew that too, should have stopped a lot more she's not real quick to get right back on the bike.

I cant remember if you have guard bags.. if ya do, just take em off this go around, more foot room. If you have the driver's backrest, take that off too, its uncomfortable for long rides for her. Stay off the throttle too, that will save ya a smack in the head.
So i'm not the only one who gets head slaps....
Take it easy and remember you have extra weight, slower starts and stops. And try to be more knowledgeable of the road terrain. Some of those small bumps we feel are multiplied for the passenger. And yake a few breaks. Maybe half hr at a time before a short 5-10 minutes stretch. Work her into it as you probably did when you started. Noone wanta to hop on for 3hrs straight the first go round. Having another female will help also. My wife doesnt like to go unless there is another gal to hang out with at stops.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
I agree with the advice on the rest stops, although I think 30 minutes is too short. As some of y'all know my wife has Lupus and RA. I let her decide. If she needs a break, I don't bitch about it. She's normally good for an hour to hour and a half. Sometimes she'll go a full tank, but I won't hardly let her. I know she is pushing it then. You know your wife, so try to anticipate her comfort level whether it be wind buffeting or riding too long.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
JPWendtinc; What other tips do you all have to make this an extremely enjoyable experience that leaves her wanting more?????????[/QUOTE said:
Tequila......

·
Riding With Respect
225 Posts
Yup, warning the passenger when you see a bump can help a lot. If they are really enjoying the ride and are taking in the scenery, a sudden unexpected jolt can send them straight to the bone/muscle mechanic.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
My OL has issues with the stock seat on the switchback so I went and bought a memory foam pillow, wrapped it up and strapped it down. She loves it. She's got some physical issues with a bum leg, but she can go a good hour before having to get off and stretch.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
Not sure if you guys rock a full face helmet or not. I know good eye protection helps with longevity. I am sure there will be lots of looking around and dry eyes will make the miles feel a little longer. A light helmet also so the neck doesn't get tired. Those are just 2 sources of fatigue I have had with passengers.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Touring seat,good sun glasses and bring your air shock pump with you, so you can optimize the ride comfort along the way,(at pee breaks) If you tell her what you're doing,letting her know that you're making it as comfy as poss. for HER,.. She'll eat that up !...and watch out for sharp bumps in the road !..Hurts the horns.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I agree with all. My wife also has Lupus. Nasty disease..but I let her dictate the stops. When she is ready to get goin again all is good. Def watch out for bad road conditions. Nothing worse than an unseen jolt comming. Just like steppin in a hole you didn't see. Could we possibly see the little lady in August? That will be a real test for my wife. About 10 hrs in the saddle, mainly highway. I started preparing her for this when we decided to go. Good luck JP. She will be fine!!!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Along with all the good advice given, my wife and I have both found that tight jeans contribute to discomfort. We wear slightly looser jeans, and powder our butts good.:rollin
Wind noise also contributes to fatigue, so ear plugs may help her. Since this is her first long ride, take a wrench so you can move her footboards up or down for her comfort. And SUNSCREEN!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
And hope that somewhere along the way, when you stop, a stranger will sidle up and say "Nice bike!" to her! When she is the recipient of the compliment (not you) she'll eat that up and feel proud to be a part of the experience. That shouldn't be too hard to come up with when y'all are aboard the beautiful Priscilla...

*(Yep, personal experience)

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Get an Ultra!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts