Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my dyna a few months ago with the impression my wife would never go near it. She eventually trusted me enough to take a ride and now I've created a monster. She says the seat is too uncomfortable and she feels the vibration too much in her butt and her back (sissy bar). Just wondering if a different seat would make a noticeable significant difference in her ride. Any thoughts? Any recommendations?

Key words in my post here are "noticeable" and "significant". I'll be wasting my money if there is only a small difference because she's hard to impress (surprised?).

Here's what my seat looks like now. Any thoughts on any of the following options: Mustang, Corbin Gunfighter, HD Sundowner?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the Mustang dual tourer on the Dyna and the Corbin dual tourer on the Road King,My wife likes the Corbin hands down ,She likes the drivers seat on the Mustang but not the passenger seat,.

·
1,081 Posts
The right seat can make all the difference in the world, for both of you

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I guess now I need to take a poll on preferences. I posted a similar thread on another board and someone told me they would never buy another Corbin because their customer service was awful. Of course, my first question was "just how often would someone need customer service on a seat?"

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Well, the good news is your wife is now a passenger riding "monster"!

I've always had good results with Corbin. Have owned three or four of their seats over the years, but on non H-D's. Once they sent me the wrong seat and it was taken care of pronto. I think this is one of the possible customer service scenarios... wrong seat, bad fit, bad workmanship, etc., and maybe Corbin is slow to respond. But I can report nothing but customer service positives.

As for Corbin seats, they are known for tending to be very firm seats. For some, this is comfy, while others prefer softer. I'm thinking a firm seat could really transmit the vibes? Don't forget H-D's large P&A catalog with all kinds of seat options. A challenge will be limited opportunity to buying a seat without trying it first!

Short term, maybe there is a pad or something similar your wife can sit on and/or lean against to help. May not look cool, but bride appeasement might overrule!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've fitted the Sundowner and Touring Pillion to my Street Rod and the missus has no complaints whatsoever. She definitely disliked the stock pillion seat on the Street Rod.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the stock H-D seat on the Road King - but it is like a couch, so that's not a good comparison.

On the V-Rod I have the H-D Sundowner seat, my wife hasn't been on the V yet, but two of my nieces have (22 & 13) not for extended rides, but they didn't complain about it either.

Find a buddy with an aftermarket seat and swap him for a couple of days and try them out that way if possible.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The only seat I can speak for is the Corbin Solo Seat. Rob surprised me with the seat one day, and I LOVE it!!! Now, I can tell you the seat was a surprise, but had their customer service been bad, it would no longer have been a surprise, because Rob would have told me about it, or I would be able to tell how perturbed her was, lol!

Anyway, it takes about 500 miles or so, before the seat is formed to your butt, but that's the case on any seat.

I love the corbin!! Expensive, but worth it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I think the a seat might just do the trick. Yesterday evening we went for a little ride and expected it to get cooler as the sun went down so she brought along a light jacket. I didn't have my roll bag so she had to sit on the coat until she needed it. She said it made a noticeable difference. The parts manager at my dealership is recommending the Sundowner seat. Of course, he always seems to recommend HD brand parts. Any pros or cons on the sundowner from anyone?

·
1,081 Posts
I have the Sundowner solo seat with the passenger pillion on my Road King Classic. I love the back support it give me over the stock seat, It looks great as a solo and is very easy to slide the passenger seat in when I want to take my wife or kid with me. Otherwise I have a small rack that goes in it's place. I don't regret it one bit.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I wish you were a little closer. I have a Sundowner you could ride for a week or two and see how the two of you like it. Patty rides her own so I don't have a definite comment on the passenger comfort but it took a hundred mile day and turned it into a five hundred mile day for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought our new Heritage a month ago and promptly removed the stock seat and installed the Sundowner.
Both my wife and I love it and wouldnt trade it for any other. Have logged almost 800 miles on it so far and no complaints from either of us.
Try to borrow one and form your own opinion.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Can't speak from a passenger perspective, but I've heard very good things about the Sundowner (am considering a solo for the LBB). I had a Corbin on my FXRS - liked the "breathability" (it was leather) and also the fact that it came with a removable backrest. Yeah, Corbin's are hard at the outset but do conform nicely over time (read: a'la Homer Simpson's couch with "ass groove", LOL)

Some dealerships will have a frame in the store where you can try out various seats... while it's not nearly as good as being able to actually take one for a 'test-drive', it may be better than nothing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for the responses. I talked to my dealer's parts manager today and I guess I can't complain about this: he's ordering me a Sundowner to fit my bike. Under the condition that, if she isn't happy enough with it, he'll take it back and give me store credit. It's not a refund but I'm sure I'd use it sooner or later.

Considering he's having to order it, I think it's a pretty good deal...

·
1,081 Posts
Better than a lot of dealerships would do. Let us know how it works out, If it's anything like what I have, I think you'll both be pleased.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks again for the responses. I talked to my dealer's parts manager today and I guess I can't complain about this: he's ordering me a Sundowner to fit my bike. Under the condition that, if she isn't happy enough with it, he'll take it back and give me store credit. It's not a refund but I'm sure I'd use it sooner or later.

Considering he's having to order it, I think it's a pretty good deal...
That's good to hear! Hope it all works out :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's a good bet you both will be very happy with the Sundowner. I had one on my sporty, and both of us liked it.

The seat though won't make a difference in the buzzing she's pheeling phrom the sissy bar. if you don't have a pad, get a big thick one. if you do, get a bigger thicker one. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a good bet you both will be very happy with the Sundowner. I had one on my sporty, and both of us liked it.

The seat though won't make a difference in the buzzing she's pheeling phrom the sissy bar. if you don't have a pad, get a big thick one. if you do, get a bigger thicker one. :D
Right, the dealer recommended a low sissy bar with something called a bucket backrest. I'm going to hold off until I see how she feels about the seat though. I really don't want a huge sissy bar pad sticking out so maybe we can do without it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seat is installed and the verdict is in. Major improvement for both of us - 2 thumbs up. Thanks for all of the replies and comments.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts