·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Retired citizen
22,313 Posts
I say bullshit !
As of last year (2018), the last time I had my HP laptop with XP Pro online it got updates, like 6 of them ! They were called something like 'malicious malware software' updates. I haven't connected yet this year, it's just my shop PC but it's interesting they were still updating years after MS said they were done with it !
I jumped from Win 3 to Win 3.11 to Win XP Pro to Vista to current Win 10. So I missed a few variants in between, good thing too !
If ya have a Win 7 PC go online and watch for updates IMO. Also have Norton AntiVirus or something cause MS ain't doing that for ya.
SORRY for the hijack ...

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Barney Fife - Poser
844 Posts
I say bullshit !
As of last year (2018), the last time I had my HP laptop with XP Pro online it got updates, like 6 of them ! They were called something like 'malicious malware software' updates. I haven't connected yet this year, it's just my shop PC but it's interesting they were still updating years after MS said they were done with it !
I jumped from Win 3 to Win 3.11 to Win XP Pro to Vista to current Win 10. So I missed a few variants in between, good thing too !
If ya have a Win 7 PC go online and watch for updates IMO. Also have Norton AntiVirus or something cause MS ain't doing that for ya.
SORRY for the hijack ...
Your laptop may have just received those updates but when were they actually published?

·
Retired citizen
22,313 Posts
Your laptop may have just received those updates but when were they actually published?
Shit I don't know or care, I don't use that PC for online anything. It still accesses the internet albite slow but in a pinch I can get online with it. That I did when my Vista laptop broke and I got this Win10 Acer. I used the XP Pro PC in between. I have to hardwire connect the XP at home because it doesn't have WiFi.
FYI, All the MoCo service dept. computers ran XP Pro on the H-D intranet in the beginning.

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the beginning Moses carried tablets made of stone!

Shit I don't know or care, I don't use that PC for online anything.
If you dont go online with it, you dont have anything to worry about, but that might just be why you havent gotten any updates for a long time....

·
Barney Fife - Poser
844 Posts
Shit I don't know or care, I don't use that PC for online anything. It still accesses the internet albite slow but in a pinch I can get online with it. That I did when my Vista laptop broke and I got this Win10 Acer. I used the XP Pro PC in between. I have to hardwire connect the XP at home because it doesn't have WiFi.
FYI, All the MoCo service dept. computers ran XP Pro on the H-D intranet in the beginning.
My point was that you called BS on the end of support date for Win 7.

The updates may still be available via Windows Update and/or downloading from the Microsoft Update Catalog, but there won't be any new ones for Win 7 after today. There is a way to purchase extended support for up to 3 more years, which is already known, but it isn't really something that everyday home users would want to do. Now that being said, since there will be extended support then presumably there will be continued security updates developed for a while but they won't be available to the general public.

So, take all that for what it is worth, but I don't think it's accurate to say that the Win 7 end of support is bullshit.

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Retired citizen
22,313 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean bullshit that it ain't true (not a lie), I meant bullshit that they (Microsoft) says they is when they isn't ! The scare off routine.

·
weird member
1,950 Posts
Side note, if you hate the dumb as f*ck, phone/tablet geared—and horribly inefficient in a desktop environment—tile bullsh*t from Windows 8/10 for the start menu, I use Open Shell (it's free, previously known as Classic Shell) to get back a classic start menu and a file explorer that isn't 300% dumb.

·
Barney Fife - Poser
844 Posts
Side note, if you hate the dumb as f*ck, phone/tablet geared—and horribly inefficient in a desktop environment—tile bullsh*t from Windows 8/10 for the start menu, I use Open Shell (it's free, previously known as Classic Shell) to get back a classic start menu and a file explorer that isn't 300% dumb.
This is precisely why our home/office still has 6 machines running Win 7. I'm sure the eventual move to 10 is inevitable so I am making a note of this. ^^^

·
weird member
1,950 Posts
This is precisely why our home/office still has 6 machines running Win 7. I'm sure the eventual move to 10 is inevitable so I am making a note of this. ^^^
Was the vert first thing I did when I got my computer (which came with Windows 7 and was pushed/forced to 10, and 10 definitely is an improvement over 8).

There's a lot I can't stand about Windows 10 and the way things are going with Windows. Win 7 was fn amazing, last great OS Microsoft made.

For anyone forced to go to 10, say goodbye to being a true power user unless you spend money for the most expensive pro version. If you have the standard version, you're going to be locked out of large portions of it.

Also, while you can still install traditional programs, a lot of software is ditching that and becoming apps. The app versions of regular programs take 10x as long to load, without exception. So anything where you have the option to go with a traditional program vs a Windows 10 app... go with the program.

You'll also want to spend about 10 hours tweaking it to not be intrusive. Windows 10 assumes you're an idiot and wants to automatically do everything for you. It's a nightmare navigating the Windows 10 app store settings to get it to stop automatically downloading new apps. I have a laptop (Dell Inspiron 17-7779, which actually came with 10 when I got it), as well as a desktop (Dell Inspiron 3847). I've been through it twice now.

It's been so long though that I don't even remember all the stuff I had to change (aside from turning off that annoying UAC). But, there is one thing, eventually one of the updates to 10 breaks programs. Despite having UAC off, try to install a program while you're on your only account which is an administrator, and it will block you as not having permission and needing an admin to install. You can even try running the installer as an administrator, will still fail. You have to go into the registry and manually edit some crap just to be able to install things, as well as to run a lot of programs.

Then, I remember something else I had to do using admin level command prompt to fix what they broke.

That's part of why it takes 10 hours to make it just work and not be stupid, 8 hours of it is dealing with it nagging you and running all over the OS to do this so that you can do that so you can do this other thing.

There's guides on it, easily found through Google. You'll know when you run into an issue and what to search for to fix it.

I alsp remembered another dumb thing. The computer starts 100x slower if you turn off "Fast Boot" (and that's despite disabling all the startup stuff you can), but if you leave "Fast Boot" on, when you shut down the computer, it doesn't actually shut down, just goes into a deeper hibernation mode.

And another thing, if you don't have the pro version, one of those areas you'll be locked out of is the Group Policy Editor (though, I don't know if most people need access to that).

Oh, and the fn "Action Center" is going to constantly annoy you with stupid, unnecessary notifications, some of which you can't turn off.

Oh, and you can't, on any version, boot directly to safe mode (you have to start up regular first, then hold shift as you press the restart button, which is not good if you can't get it to start in regular mode) unless you run an elevated command prompt and create a boot time safe mode, then go into the system configuration menu to set it up.

Also, by default, system restore is turned off for some dumb reason so, turn that on too.

Also, disablingnas much of "Cortana" as you can is a pain, but you can't totally rid yourself of it as it is built into the system (well you can, but if you do, you'll no longer have a search function in Windows).

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
or anyone forced to go to 10, say goodbye to being a true power user unless you spend money for the most expensive pro version
I got the Pro version for free. I had Win 7 Pro, and when the Upgrade happened, I bitched to MS tech support that I got downgraded and they gave me a Win 10 Pro key.

All it is is a key change. You already have all of the Pro software on your machine. It is just deactivated with the "Home" license key.

·
weird member
1,950 Posts
I got the Pro version for free. I had Win 7 Pro, and when the Upgrade happened, I bitched to MS tech support that I got downgraded and they gave me a Win 10 Pro key.

All it is is a key change. You already have all of the Pro software on your machine. It is just deactivated with the "Home" license key.
True, though I never had the pro version.

And really, you still can do stuff on the home version, you just have to do it through the command shell rather than the gui.

·
Retired citizen
22,313 Posts
I found out why my XP Pro laptop got an update, the 2017 WannaCry ransomware attack ! Microsoft broke down and issued an emergency patch so I got that maybe a year and a half ago.

·
Retired citizen
22,313 Posts
That was weird, since that last post I lost my keyboard and backlight, everything else worked.
I've been running Win10 diagnostics and it showed nothing wrong ? I went to my Acer Handbook file and couldn't find anything about this malfunction.
I had my laptop in sleep, ran to the store and when I got back I opened it up and no keyboard or backlight ! ? Like WTF ? I know, I don't have a gremlin bell on my Acer !!!
Obviously I got shit working again ! I hadda flip the laptop upside down and stick a tiny ( I had one) paperclip in the battery reset hole. I guess that's like a full system reboot on this PC. For some unexplained reason the system wasn't going thru the full BIOS boot sequence.
IMO, Win10 has a real shitty diagnostics program.

·
Retired citizen
22,313 Posts
Here's another little diddy I've run across during my computing years.
Win XP doesn't read Win 3.11 backup files.
Vista doesn't read Win XP backup files.
Win 10 doesn't read Vista backup files.
All the files are 64 bit and are saved to external USB drives.
I wonder if MAC users have the same dilemma ?

·
weird member
1,950 Posts
Windows 10 will read Windows 7 backup files.

As to the lights on the laptop, that wouldn't be Windows 10 issue, that'd be a manufacturer firmware issue most likely. I've never had that issue personally on my Dell laptop. Sometimes these bugs are due to how modern OS's are designed to work, and you have to change how you use it sometimes. I don't remember exactly all the changes over time but, Windows 10 for example, the "paging file" is basically not what it was. It still exists, but works totally different than it used to. Part of that is actually due to the move of most computers to having SSDs (solid-state drives).

Also, if your computer was made after I think it's 2015, it no longer has a BIOS in the traditional sense. It's now a UEIF (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface), which is why (as I mentioned earlier), you can't boot directly into safe mode and you have to start the PC normal and restart it into safe mode unless you create a copy of it and set a boot time option thing or whatever in that long post I made. Windows 10 is designed to work with a UEIF. Will work on older computers with a traditional BIOS though.

I've never been big on Windows Diagnostics long before 10. If I ran into issues, I always went to Bleeping Computer to figure out what to do, because diagnostics and repair in Windows NEVER fixed any issue. Not sure if they're still worth a crap or not since I basically only use the computer now for gaming or music.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts