Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Harley Windshield on my bike and have had the idea of tinting it for a while now. A while back I went to a local auto window tinting place and they informed me you can only apply the window tinting film to glass and not Lexan. Something to do with unequal expansion and contraction that would cause the tinting film to crack.

Rj from next door and here gave me a great idea. to use a spray tinting designed for model builders. It chemically bonds to the surface and should be perfectly weather proof. So I'm on my first coat now and it looks a little splotchy. I'm no painter but I didn't go to heavy and will go for a second coat at least. If it comes out good I'll post some pics.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
From what I've seen, Ed, it appears that tinting plexiglass and Lexan are popular with spray, and not film.

Not having tried this myself or having any first hand experience, I'm not gonna be much help.

I am headed out to the garage to tinker with the bike and drink beer, so if ya need a hand with directions at THAT, I'm yer man........

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats your suggestion on surface prep? My first coat came out so bad I used laquer thinner to remove it and I'm gonna try again.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
I'd have to say avoid Laquer thinner on Lexan. It's highly volitile and can damage the material. I use denatured alcohol on soft parts, or anything I have worries over damaging. Of course, denatured alcohol may not have removed the botched coat of tint.

My guess with this stuff is to do very light coats and try to keep it as even as possible. Really good lighting will help to to aid in even coverage.

Also, make sure the Lexan AND the spray is as warm as possible. Results with some sprays clearly are based on the evaporation rate of the solvents that keep them fluid.

Outside of that, I got nuthin...........:( And I mean Nadda. I'm outa beer and now I got the munchies. Story of my life.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No light sanding? Yea I was surprised when the lacquer thinner took of all the tint. I had no choice but to use it. It would have been ruined anyway. It really didn't seem to mess with the Lexan too much but I wouldn't use it for cleaning. Rubbing alcohol didn't work very well. I guess I'll pick up some denatured alcohol tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Ed, from a Google search I get the idea that you do not want to sand it because of something called outgasing which will case bubbling and ruin the finish. It normally happens with Lexan and sanding makes it worse. Here is just one of the sites I found: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=436552

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Hey Ed, the more I look the more the folks who appear to know what they are talking about say that painting lexan may be an useless endeavor.....???

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Lil,

I still haven't decided for sure but I might bring it to a paint shop and have them do it. In the mean time I have been riding without a shield for the fun of it.
To be continued...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the Harley Windshield on my bike and have had the idea of tinting it for a while now. A while back I went to a local auto window tinting place and they informed me you can only apply the window tinting film to glass and not Lexan. Something to do with unequal expansion and contraction that would cause the tinting film to crack.

Rj from next door and here gave me a great idea. to use a spray tinting designed for model builders. It chemically bonds to the surface and should be perfectly weather proof. So I'm on my first coat now and it looks a little splotchy. I'm no painter but I didn't go to heavy and will go for a second coat at least. If it comes out good I'll post some pics.
Did I not mention, it doesn't work? I tried it on a trashed windshield, and it just made a blotchy MESS. :flag:

It sounded sooo goood considering those remote control car bodies are made of lexan. But it doesn't work. :confused:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well. It was worth a shot. Thats what I had, a blotchy mess. I got it all off though. Any more ideas? I might try just painting it, being that I dont really look thru it or do you think the result would be the same?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts