Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone:

I have recently installed a Memphis Shades windshield on my Sporty ('15 XL883L). I'm really liking the look, and it is much better at highway speeds (except for the buffeting).

I have noticed a bit of buffeting around my head starting from about 50 MPH. I measured the height at the stealership with their pre-marked windshield held up by the parts dude.

Would a slightly lower or taller 'shield reduce or eliminate the buffeting? or is it simply something that I need to learn to live with? Everything that I have read says that the "proper" height of a windshield is around your nose while seated in a "normal riding position". I could probably go up the next size and still have the shield be below eye level...

Exco

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have owned a couple of sportys. I have tried different windshields with the same results. buffeting is the nature of the beast and the only way to eliminate it is to remove the windshield.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
If anything I would think a larger shield (wider) would reduce the buffeting. It seems your shield isn't pushing the air far enough away from your body, but I think after a week with the shield you already have you won't even notice the buffeting. It will become normal to you. At least it did to me. I had a V Star with a really wide windshield and felt less buffeting than my current Sportster 1200T with the factory windshield which is much smaller and narrower than my V Star shield. But like a said, after a week it just became normal to me. The direction and the strength of the wind also is a factor on how much buffeting I feel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks everyone. That is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking as well.

Exco

·
Registered
279 Posts
Never dealt with the sporties, but on other bikes (several other metrics) i have had without shields that I have added one to, the biggest problem for me has been air coming up from the sides of the tank. Take on had off the bars and move it around and feel to see where the excess air is coming from.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I have a Dyna and two shields for it. The best riding one extends to the bottom of the tank. This helps eliminate some wind from below, but I admit, it's not a pretty shield (even though it's genuine HD). With either shield, I find the angle of the shield has a lot of effect on buffeting. Angled too far back, I get air blast, too far forward, I get buffeting. There is a best angle for height and bike. Try adjusting it.

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
My experience has been that the air that does the buffeting of the head comes from under the windshield.
The size of the windshield would not stop the wind from underneath.
Wind deflectors...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good morning everyone:

I have recently installed a Memphis Shades windshield on my Sporty ('15 XL883L). I'm really liking the look, and it is much better at highway speeds (except for the buffeting).

I have noticed a bit of buffeting around my head starting from about 50 MPH. I measured the height at the stealership with their pre-marked windshield held up by the parts dude.

Would a slightly lower or taller 'shield reduce or eliminate the buffeting? or is it simply something that I need to learn to live with? Everything that I have read says that the "proper" height of a windshield is around your nose while seated in a "normal riding position". I could probably go up the next size and still have the shield be below eye level...

Exco
May I ask which Memphis shades windshield you are using? I am planning to install a Memphis Shades "Big shot" 7 in cutout on my sporty. I had a Suzuki S50 with that model on it and I really liked it.
Thanks

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Previous threads indicate a set of wind deflectors on the lower forks will reduce or eliminate the buffeting.

(these were for dynas and softails don't know if they make em for sportys)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a Memphis shades sport shield (speed demon) on my Shadow. It was a fairly tall but not wide one. I experienced terrible vibrating buffeting above about 55 or so. I read everything you are seeing here--use different angle, deflectors, helmet, even mirrors. I didn't try all of that, but nothing I did try helped at all.

Bottom line: you may or may not be able to solve it, sorry. What works for one rider/bike/equipment will not always work for the next. I'm convinced there's no help for certain combinations.

One thing I noticed after I threw in the towel and took it off was how much a screen blocks your forward view! (No, I wasn't looking through the shield). I think a lot of guys on the touring bikes don't realize this because they never see what their ride is like without the mass of fairing/shield in front of them. It was shocking how much the shield had robbed from my riding experience.

I tried a little Honda "boulevard" shield and was very happy with the results--blocked a lot of air, no buffetting, and hardly noticed it was on there.

I still don't have a sheild for my Deluxe and don't know if I ever will. I guess I will just for the rare trip with lots of interstate, even though I don't like the look or the way they block your view; but I'm going to try to find one I can return if it is a dud. This stuff is too expensive for trial and error.

·
red sport.
382 Posts
I have problems (18'' HD Windshield) with buffing coming up over the tank But, can't find fork wind deflectors for Sportster. JC Whitney did have them But don't have them any more. I have searched & searched.
I was even going to buy a set for the bigger HD that fit on windshield bolts & drill a new hole now my Dealer don't even have them any more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
9.5 Memphis Shades windshield

I have a 9.5 inch Memphis shades flip shield for sale. I bought it 2 months ago, used it once. I traded in the bike. The 9.5 inch is suppose to be perfect for someone 5' 10". Paid $100 for it, I'll take $50. Plus shipping. No scratches. I also have fork deflectors cost me $100 I'll take $50.00 I'll list the part numbers so you can sit if they fit.

9" Smoke spoiler (windshield) part #2350-0170 manufactur code MEP8561 paid $99.95
Fork deflectors (clear) part #2350-0143 paid $39.95
Fork deflector mounting kit part #2321-0022 paid $56.95
Call or text Johnny 281-520-5507

·
Registered
135 Posts
9.5" shield

I have a 9.5" shield and fork deflectors I bought a month ago then traded in the bike. I paid $200 for both. I'll take $100 for both I'll pay shipping. Part numbers below so you can check figment. Call or text me if interested 281-520-5507

Fork deflector mounting kit part #2321-0022 paid $56.95
Batwing deflectors (smoke) manufactur code MEM7021 paid $24.95
9" Smoke spoiler (windshield) part #2350-0170 manufactur code MEP8561 paid $99.95

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Previous threads indicate a set of wind deflectors on the lower forks will reduce or eliminate the buffeting.

(these were for dynas and softails don't know if they make em for sportys)
I will look into some sort of wind deflector. Thanks for the tip.

May I ask which Memphis shades windshield you are using?
I went with the El Paso
in the black.

I will have to pay attention to see if the wind and buffeting is coming from up around the tank. That is an area that I hadn't thought about.

After close to 200 miles over the past few days, I've gotten used to the buffeting, and it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did. So if I can't solve the buffeting, then it's not that big of a deal.

Here are a few pics with the windshield installed.

Exco

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
My experience has been that the air that does the buffeting of the head comes from under the windshield.
The size of the windshield would not stop the wind from underneath.
Wind deflectors...
Boy you are so right MDGeorge. I wanted to test your theory so while riding the other day I placed my hand at the bottom of one side of my windshield and what a difference it made. With just my hand there I felt the drop in buffeting. I guess a wider or taller screen wouldn't reduce buffeting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've put about 300 miles on the bike since I put the windshield on.... the past 250 or so I didn't even notice the buffeting...

I have moved on to other "wants", there just never seems to be enough money in the budget for the stuff that I want to buy LOL

Thanks for all the input

Exco

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK thanks everyone. That is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking as well.

Exco
I am real sensitive to wind buffeting due to ear problems as a child so when i started riding i worked on getting the wind deflection on every bike just right. IT CAN BE FIXED i believe on whatever bike you ride, its just a matter of how fat is your wallet and your threshold for buffeting.

Keep researching what works for others, but like someone said in a earlier post alot of wind will come from under the windshield as well, making fork mounted deflectors very effective. Some windshields have slight curve at the top the help move the air up and over the riders head, my Hoppe's fairing has this and i am able to have my head much higher over the windshield for better visibilty and i get no wind in my face.

I believe the idea is to create a bubble of lower pressure air behind the windshield/deflectors with the rider fully inside the bubble, so if you have head buffeting the bubble isn't big enough. I think its the new road glides that have the vent built into the fairing to help with the pressure in the riders "bubble"

give you a example of how sensitive i am to buffeting, if i put my feet on my hiway pegs it will change the aerodynamics enough to create some buffeting.

So the moral of my long winded post is to say dont think it can not be fixed, because i have had to do to 3 hondas and 2 harleys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts