Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating putting a windshield on my 2008 super glide. I have heard from some people that they would rather ride without a windshield on their SG. Just looking for some input and ideas for windshields.
Thanx

·
Registered
94 Posts
I put a Harley dtachable on my 08 Street Bob. I love it. What I really like is how easy it is to remove. It leaves no hardware behind. The quality is excellent and although I thought I would remove it from time to time. I have never rode without it in the 4 years I have had it. I do remove it every time I clean my bike though. It only takes 5 seconds to remove!

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I have one on my FXDC and never take it off except to wash the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just my experience but my '05 and the Harley detachable shield did not get along very well.
Nothing wrong with the system, but could not prevent strong vibrations at highway speeds.
Ended up with Harley's "sports version" which is simple to install and remove if desired.
Does break up the wind well and the best part about the deal is it is the cheapest shield offered by Harley. Uses two shafts supporting shield to bars, two clamps on fork section and might take five minutes to remove is desired. Height and angle adjustable to suit the rider. Just a suggestion.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,511 Posts
I have a quick detach for my '04 SuperGlide. I have had zero problems with it at hiway speeds (and faster). I ride quite a bit with it off because I like the look of the bike better that way, but I put it on for longer trips and when expecting rain. I am always amazed at the difference it makes when I put it on after spending a few days or weeks without it.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I've got a National Cycle Spartan that I like a lot. And I usually take it off only when I wash the bike. Yes, the bike looks better without the windshield but it is much more comfortable to ride with it on on the highway and I don't get hit by bugs near as often.

·
Pecos Bill
22 Posts
I have the Harley detachable windshield on my 2004 Dyna-Lowrider and really like it. I only take it off for washing the bike. My only complaint is that the rubber gaskets between the clamps and the forks tend to stick to the forks, and if I don't pay special attention while removing the windshield, they are easily lost. Don't know if it's just my imagination, but the bike seems so much quicker in acceleration without the windshield.:nod

·
HowardH
109 Posts
I have a quick detach Harley windshield for my 08 Low Rider that clamps to the forks. It's the large touring size. I've used it just a couple of times. It seems that the buffeting I get from wind coming at me as the wind moves around the windshield is worse than without the shield. Instead of a direct steady wind as without the shield the wind buffeting is moving all over the place. It's annoying. I've raised it and lowered it as far as the mounts will let me. I'd rather ride without it but I'd sure like to enjoy it like some of you guys do. Any thoughts of what's wrong? I've got stock bars, forks, etc. Nothings been changed.

·
Pecos Bill
22 Posts
howardh, my quick-release windshield is the compact size, and buffeting is not bothersome. I'm guessing that the larger size of the touring model may make buffeting more noticeable? It would be nice if you could try the compact size to see.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also have a Harley quick release for my 05 FXDI. I commute on my bike and wouldn't go without a windscreen to block bugs, wind, rain etc. Installing or removing for cleaning or weekend cruising is a snap, highly recommended.

·
HowardH
109 Posts
i have the 14" qdw and if you loosen the upper to bolts and tilt the windshield forward the buffeting is limited greatly. i like mine alot keeps the bugs of my chest.
Hmm! I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the Harley quick release and just installed the Long Riders recurve on Friday. Uses the same frame and just the windscreen is replaced. What a difference it made, get no buffeting at high speeds anymore. Had a friend take it for a ride, he has the original shield. When he got off his words were I am ordering one today. I have a Heritage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts