Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions? I don't want something too big and obnoxious... I would also like some type of QD so I can take it off for local runs, and put it on for longer runs where I might get on the highway or go excess of 60 mph for longer durations...

I've looked on amazon and this was the only one that caught my attention:

Slipstreamer S-06-CHR-T Motorcycle Windshield

This one looks cool and I think fits the flows of the bike. Not sure how much protection it can provide though

Memphis Shades Gauntlet Fairing MEM7191

Looking for suggestions!

key things for me
  • stealth
  • quick disconnect

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I have something similar, and while it doesn't stop all the wind, it does enough to provide rain and wind relief. Keeps my head and shoulders from fatiguing on highway rides.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have something similar, and while it doesn't stop all the wind, it does enough to provide rain and wind relief. Keeps my head and shoulders from fatiguing on highway rides.
Yeah that's what I'm looking for. I understand it will not prevent all the wind, but some blockage for longer trips will be nice. My neck hurts after about 100 miles

·
Registered
139 Posts
This surely stayed quiet... I guess I'm alone for this one lol
Ditch the kool kid half or 3/4 helmet and get something with face protection. Cuts the wind much better and does not give that parachute effect open face kool helmets produce. Face protection is nice anyway. Because you will ride enough miles one day that you will get hit in the face with a rock, no way around it unless you just park it and rev it in the garage. I hit two birds last year and the year before that a rock on the highway broke my face shield. I would have been a statistic that year of it was not for the face shield. I was only a couple miles from my exit to the nearest cycle gear so I Stopped in to get a new shield. Worked out good.

I've done 2400 miles in 3 days and a streamlined helmet cuts the wind so much better my neck never gets tired and I almost broke my neck a few years back that gave me a permanent injury. I do exercises to keep my neck strong though, so maybe look up some physical therapy neck strengthening exercises and do them. You'll hurt at first but your neck will be so much more strong.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one. Wife bought me one of those really cool helmets that are 3/4 or whatever then become full face. it's a Harley one too. It's not just that though, it's the fighting against the wind. I would say doing 80 mph on roads, your body is probably fighting back against that drag. if a windshield took that blunt hit from the wind, the ride might be much more tolerable. I figured if something can take the wind off my torso, I could probably handle the wind on my face with a full face.

I see people ride on the highway all the time with sportsters, dynas etc and take that beating at 70-80 mph. I wonder if they're just used to it or what...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have one. Wife bought me one of those really cool helmets that are 3/4 or whatever then become full face. it's a Harley one too. It's not just that though, it's the fighting against the wind. I would say doing 80 mph on roads, your body is probably fighting back against that drag. if a windshield took that blunt hit from the wind, the ride might be much more tolerable. I figured if something can take the wind off my torso, I could probably handle the wind on my face with a full face.

I see people ride on the highway all the time with sportsters, dynas etc and take that beating at 70-80 mph. I wonder if they're just used to it or what...
probably used to it, but looking up neck strengthening exercises couldn't hurt. I have no problem going all day for days in a row on the highway. It could be your body position too. Different seat or bars could make a huge difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
probably used to it, but looking up neck strengthening exercises couldn't hurt. I have no problem going all day for days in a row on the highway. It could be your body position too. Different seat or bars could make a huge difference.
Funny you say that... After I got the bike and did a long trip (long for me) my neck was starting to bother me. I started doing some neck exercises and the pain was gone after I started to ride again LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, I was looking into this today. I like to ride fast, and the longer trips do get tiring in the wind. I ended up on the Memphis Shades site looking at the Gauntlet, Cafe, and Sportshields. I have a custom wide glide setup with 7" headlight and fork mounted turn signals, so the fairings are probably out of the question for me. The Sportshield looks like a good solution. I did learn on a previous bike that you want fork-mount or some form of double mounting to keep it from moving around. Memphis seems to do a good job of this. I'll post when I get it resolved...

·
Registered
670 Posts
A windshield is really all about protection from the elements and insects. the top edge should be equal with your nose when your seated in the normal riding position (just below the eyeline). This will effectively deflect bugs, rain etc.. It has saved my a$$ from some pretty big insects on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A windshield is really all about protection from the elements and insects. the top edge should be equal with your nose when your seated in the normal riding position (just below the eyeline). This will effectively deflect bugs, rain etc.. It has saved my a$$ from some pretty big insects on numerous occasions.
The helmet does a decent job of that too. What i'm looking for is something that'll take the edge of the wind at higher speeds (highway speeds) I can handle speeds up to 50-60... After 60 it gets progressively worse lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
have had the MS Gauntlet on for 3000 miles now and it changed my bike for the better.
Doesn't feel like I am being hammered in the chest as I go over 65mph

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not alone with the speeds in excess of 60 MPH. I felt like the wind and drag was trying to pull me off the back of the bike at 70. I haven't had a bike for several years, and I don't recall my sport bike having the wind issues that my sporty has.

I kept telling myself that I was just getting old, and that the days of going fast were over, and it was time to look cool going slow... Now I wonder

I've only got an XL883L, but I'm seriously considering some sort of windshield.

Are the OEM windshield worth the money, or is something like was linked by the OP just as good as something with the HD logo?

Exco

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was curious about this as well. I'm a fairly new Sportster owner and at highway speeds it is pretty much a beating. The problem I have is I hate the way most windshields look (had one on a previous bike) and especially on a sporty bike. I am wondering about the Memphis shades and if anyone has any experience as to how much - if any - they actually help on the highway? Plus I seem to have a hard time finding one that will fit my particular XL1200 Custom.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Anything to take the wind off the chest will make a world of difference. I took a trip a couple years ago when I didn't have a shield and my buddy did. After an all day ride in heavy high speed traffic I was shot. He was good to go. I got a windshield for mine, and I can ride all day. Does it look cool? No. I hate the look of it completely, but not having the wind, bugs and rain hit me makes it worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 xl1200c that came with the HD 14" quick detach windshield (bought the bike used). Even though the shield is too short for me, it still makes a huge difference at highway speeds. I rarely ride without it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
The windshield is something I can not do without, simply put it take the bugs, rocks, crap from trucks and road that would no doubt hit me, some are downright dangerous. A helmet would only add to the torment the road throws at you today.

I am not ashamed to say I ride 95% highway and really need the shield and bags.

At 35K USD I could not afford anything bigger else I would have it but will say the 1200 is the best bike I've owned.

. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I put drag bars on my sporty, got me off my tail bone and over the tank a little. Works for me but other people that ride it complain about their neck. Some kind of small to tall apes could help with a better neck angle. Get you leaning into the wind a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts