Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of getting a windshield for my 2013 FXDC (Super Glide). For the most part it isn't really needed. Would be nice, but isn't nessessary. Today I took a REALLY fast 30 mile ride down the interstate with a buddy that has one (he was setting the pase). It would have been really nice to have some sort of wind protection.

I primarily ride with 3 different people, and 2 of them have windshields. One is a Nightster and the other is a 750 Honda Shadow. Both agree they don't look all that great, but wouldn't give them up. My brother LOVES to eat bugs on his Softail. He does the "bug check in the mirror" when he gets off his bike.

Any feedback from others that have added them?

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,511 Posts
I have an 04 Superglide. My wife bought me a quick detach windshield. I put it on and absolutely loved it. Recently I took it off, and I like the looks and the feeling of riding without it. However, if I were going to go on even a mediumish ride (3 to 4 hours one way) I would much rather have it on. It cuts down so much wind that you stamina goes way up. Not to mention it is really nice in the rain.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Get a detachable one. You can take it off when you want. When i had a fat boy. It was nice to have on colder days. Then take it off on warmer days.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I rode for years without them.

Say what you will, but after having one for a while, I wouldn't want to ride 50 miles without it.

·
Captain Dave
108 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1368995651.785010.jpg
I relented and got one for my wide glide. They are great for cold weather and longer trips, you are not beat to death at the end of the ride. Make sure you get the detachable with nothing left on the bike when you deinstalled it. I got mine from Harley, mail order from a shop on the East coast, saved about $70 this way.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got one awhile back and appreciate the protection at times. They don't look that terrible, although I prefer the look without. But when the rain, sand and rocks start flying at highway speeds, it is a welcome addition! Here's a pic of mine to add to the collection...

·
Banned
681 Posts
Get the Harley QD version and you can choose to use it or not according to weather and circumstances. My 1990 FXRS-C was the first bike I rode with one and after a few miles the only time it came off was for cleaning the bike! Same for the FHLR that followed it and the current FXDL.
Just make sure you're not trying to look thro' it - a combination of bugs and low sun or rain at night can make life difficult and dangerous. I have the short screen on mine and it's just about perfect for keeping the rain, wind a bugs off whilst still being able to see over it. And personally I don't think a decently engineered screen looks that bad.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Pretty much what I was thinking...No reason not to have one. Other than the $385 it costs to buy one. Damn bike is worse than my boat when it comes to money. Boat was just $300 for some changes. It hasn't even seen the water yet this year. I have been out on Dad's boat a few times though.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've had a quick detach one on my bike since it was new. I use it about 50% of the time. Just got back from Myrtle Beach last night and it didn't see the light of day the whole time.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,511 Posts
I've had a quick detach one on my bike since it was new. I use it about 50% of the time. Just got back from Myrtle Beach last night and it didn't see the light of day the whole time.
Does that mean you carry it with you everywhere? How/where do you carry

·
Registered
56 Posts
My '03 came with a stock H-D shield, but not the quick detachable kind. Did not like 'the look' of it. Too much like motor-patrol bike. I happened onto a WindVest at a terrific price and I very-much like it.

·
Pecos Bill
22 Posts
I have the Harley compact detachable windshield on my Dyna Lowrider and really like it. It's so easy to remove, and there is no hardware remaining. That really comes in handy when washing the bike. However, I almost never ride without it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just got a 2013 Super Glide Custom in June financed the windshield with the bike. I put it on that same day wont ride with out one after getting hit in the chest by a sparrow at 90 (hert like he^%).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have one of the super sport quick detach windshields on my breakout. It's the same front end as the wide glide so it should fit your bike. It helps a lot on long trips and doesn't look bad at all.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input thus far. I think I will surely get a windshield, but it probably won't happen for awhile now. I put so much money in other things that dropping another $400 on the bike right now wouldn't be the smartest of ideas. It doesn't help I'm in the process of a remodeling project...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts