Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Gorgonz gloves leather paid $10 at discount store. I googled them, look for 180 exhale heated

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
I use a pair of snowboard mitts. They work way better than any glove I've ever used.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
I have 2 pairs from Leatherup.com, Xelement long gauntlet with the thin nylon waterproof mitten hidden in a pocket, make them much warmer when it is bitter cold.

They are titled Men's gloves but they only have the size small (8)right now, these guys must buy a container load of stuff and let it run out, they are always out of some stuff.

Warmer than my best insulated Harley gloves, and since they cost the ridiculous price of $15 a pair I bought an extra pair in Sasquatch size so I can wear heavy wool glove liners if I want. Tag inside says "Thinsulate" brand insulation, but they don't say so in the ad.

·
Registered
40,733 Posts
I have some Thinsulate gauntlets similar to the ones Nate posted. Ive never found the need to use the rain liner, but have used wool gloves underneath as well. I've had them forever it seems.

·
Registered
40,733 Posts
Pretty bulky, but I prefer bulk over frostbite.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Well... I don't know how to answer that exactly.
When the alternative is painfully cold hands I don't think
that I perceive gloves with some bulk as a negative.
I'd guess the only alternative would be electric glove liners.

I will say that when I've had the feeling that I think you are describing
about feeling uncomfortably bulky, it was because the main/outer gloves
were not big enough for liners, and wearing another set of gloves under them
made for a tight fitting and awkward bulk. The extra large size gloves I bought
for that purpose, with the same set of liner gloves does not feel so bulky because
there is not a tight fit.

I have used these "Michael Jackson" looking gloves for a couple of years,
I believe they do a very good job for the thickness, they are supposedly reflecting
some of your own heat being lost as infrared radiation back at you. NASA stuff. Dirt cheap at under $4

Thermal Glove Liners

If you've ever suffered from the cold, you'll wonder how you did without this special aluminized, stretch fabric developed for NASA to protect astronauts from the incredible cold of deep space. The fabric reflects body heat and thousands of tiny pockets trap it. The results are lightweight, easy-to-move-in glove liners that keep your hands protected and warm in sub-zero weather. Machine washable.
http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/Mens-Apparel/Mens-Outerwear/Thermal-Glove-Liners/38109.cfm

I rode one morning this week when it was 40, with my good heavy gloves and these liners,
but no thick wool liners, my hands got cold towards the end of a 45 minute ride.
If I'd had much further to go I'd have gotten the nylon mittens out of their hiding place.
Then I'd have been good for even colder weather.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
One of the best tricks I've found is to wear a pair of medical gloves of the laytex, nitrale or vinyl. Some people are allergic to laytex.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
One of the best tricks I've found is to wear a pair of laytex, nitrale or vinyl medical gloves under you leather gloves.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
One of the best tricks I've found is to wear a pair of laytex, nitrale or vinyl medical gloves under you leather gloves.
That's really the same trick of the waterproof nylon glove cover mittens those inexpensive gauntlet gloves come with, hidden in the zipper compartment on the back of the glove, A pair of poly gloves stashed inside there with the mittens might be double handy.

·
Git 'er done
400 Posts
My concern with bulk is any limitation on movement of my hands and fingers.
I'm with you Lil....never been able to pick my nose with gloves on!!!:rofl:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
2 clever solutions to Lil's need for warm gloves that are not restricting and bulky... (from another post so sorry for the duplication. )

I think these will give more efficient warmth with significantly less bulk, since the between the fingers bulk is not needed.

Here's a couple of new things I hadn't seen before, mittens and over gloves
are a proven concept for me, obviously preventing wind between the fingers works.

Here's 2 finger over-glove mittens, and 2 finger mitten riding gloves too. I believe that'll work...

rain-cold covers are $17
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WATE...QitemZ190261147954QQtcZphoto#ebayphotohosting

gloves are $40
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LARG...QitemZ190263597770QQtcZphoto#ebayphotohosting

Considering the cost and hassle of heated gloves I'll give this combo a try for $65
I ordered both gloves and covers, I should have a ride report in a week...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out the hugger gloves I have on my site the lined ones are good in cold temps, as an added benefit they are 100% waterproof and high quality leather, check out the link to the review on my home page. They are in no way bulky.

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
Check out Foxcreakleather.com. I bought a pair of the deluxe Deerskin gloves. They fit great and they are very warm. Check it out. I'd post the link but ?????????

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,499 Posts
Are there heated gloves that run on... like a 9v battery instead of plugging them in to the bike?
There probably are, but if they generate any real heat, a 9v battery won't last an hour.

Considering the cost and hassle of heated gloves I'll give this combo a try for $65
I ordered both gloves and covers, I should have a ride report in a week...
I got these gloves in, they are good quality and feel good, but I haven't had any weather cold enough to be able to say how warm they are, but they are not sized large enough for even my thinnest liners and I bought XL and don't really have XL hands.

One thing that I find odd, I figured the mitten concept was fingers together for shared warmth, for some reason these have individual inner fingers for the index finger and middle, a common unpartitioned wide finger for the other two fingers.

How about when we try to rate gloves, we give some idea how long and at what temp we ride w/o getting cold hands, and most importantly, whether we're talking about hands directly in the wind, or behind a fairing or windscreen.

It was 38-40 a couple of mornings last week, hands directly in the wind, and I know my best heavy thinsulate lined gloves are as good as most any out there, and with two different second pair of gloves as liners, one the thin reflective Michael Jackson gloves and the other a pair of heavy wool mi-surplus liners, my hands were cold enough in an hour commute that it would be very hard to ride for hours....

Anybody else not like the new chill factor chart?

http://webmaster10.com/ldr/windchill.html

by the old chart, 38 degrees at 60 mph is 8 degrees chill factor, on the new chart it is 20 degrees. Both are bogus, IMHO, because both glove combos I got cold in would be good almost indefinitely in either 8 or 20 degrees in still air.

The old chart is what I keep in mind dressing overall for the ride to work, 50 degrees at 50 mph feels like 26, the new chart says 38, which isn't painfully cold, IMHO 50 at 50 w/o proper clothing is painfully cold.

My best variations of the winter so far have been thin nylon over-pants, over my jeans and under my chaps, are just as warm and easier and quicker to get out of at work than my UnderArmor ColdGear long-johns,

And a light nylon windbreaker that packs down into nothing and has good elastic wrists and waist and a high collar is as warm, Sized large enough to wear over my usual leather jacket, t-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, and sweater or Levi-jacket, as would be the same layers but starting with ColdGear long-john shirt, and the windbreaker is much easier to get out of at work

1 - 20 of 24 Posts