Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'm not the only one who engages in the battle against mother nature and her nefarious global warming commandos by continuing to ride all winter long. So long as there is nothing falling out of the sky, and the roads are relatively dry, I ride.

I've got heated jacket liner, gloves and pants liner. These things are so wicked awesome. It was 8F this morning when I left (a new record for me) and still did not turn the heat trollers to max.

On to the point of this post. What recommendations would you other winter riders make as far as a helmet goes? I currently use a rather plain and standard full face with a Fog City applique that prevents fog (for the most part). However, at 8F, I had to stop twice on my 70 mile commute to de-ice the helmet. The visor got all iced up and I could barely see. I've been looking around and have looked at some snow machine helmets (some that have heated visors!).

Just curious what some of you other winter warriors might be using.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I have a Shoei Qwest full-face helmet that I use in the winter. I purchased a pinlock visor to combat interior fogging and it has helped tremendously (no more holding your breath at traffic lights). It will occasionally cloud slightly, but not while moving, so I just crack open the visor to let a little fresh air in.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I am a year round rider and i also have heated jacket ans gloves... I had a shoei rf1200. These helmets have a pin lock shield that makes it a double lense and it never fogged on my at any temperature! I would highly recommend it I will buy another one... not unless I find the @hole that stole it first...that's for another thread

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Monzie, I am another year-round rider. Here in Arkansas, I recently rode to work when it was 7°. UNLIKE you, however, my commute ain't nowhere near 70 miles. Closer to 10. I always said a man should be able to fight off a bear with his own fists for 15 minutes, so I just layer up, grit my teeth, grab my old cheap "Fuel" full face helmet and scurry into work where it's warm.

I don't have any heated gear at all, but I go through Hot Hands by the box fulls. I got 'em in my pockets, in my boots, in my gloves, and--since Christmas--in the pockets of the special tobaggan my daughter bought me. They fit right over my ears. Pull that 50 dollar helmet down over that, and Yee to the Haw, here I go.

So, after all that, I got nothin' for ya brother--nothin' but a BUNCH of respect.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This will sound strange but try Pert shampoo you can buy it at Walmart. Smear it on an let it dry for an hour. Wipe clean with a towel. I use it on my glasses works great.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
when it's THAT cold, the only thing i'm riding is.......my easy chair!
regards,
dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ride into single digits as well on my 30 mile commute. My Shoei Gt-air with the pin lock system works very well for keeping the fog/ice down.

It isn't perfect and sometimes I do have to crack my visor for a minute to clear it up.

The only time I've had it fog badly enough for me to lose visibility was riding through patches of dense fog. A quick swipe with a glove took care of that.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't ride once the temp gets below freezing due to ice on the road. Also they dump a heck of a lot of sand on the roads once we get the first snow

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I don't ride once the temp gets below freezing due to ice on the road. Also they dump a heck of a lot of sand on the roads once we get the first snow

Yeah. I've been in your neighborhood in the summer and the roads can be dicey then.

Here, and this time of year, you get down near freezing with 10-20 % chance of precipitation or more, things can go bad quickly. My ride home from the dealership last spring was one of those days. Rolled into the garage with a heavy coat of ice all over the front of the bike and on me. Did several miles on the freeway in a torrential hail storm. When they brought out the bike and I stared her up, it was 45 and a little windy.

Weather here can be radically different between one side of town and another.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I wear a Scorpion EXO1100 all year long. Scorpion makes a good helmet and their faceshield is as fog-proof as you can get. As long as there is some air moving under it, it will stay clear.

They do make heated, anti-fog visors for the guys who ride snow machines. Maybe there is something aftermarket that you could use to keep the ice off of your visor.

Pete

I'm sure I'm not the only one who engages in the battle against mother nature and her nefarious global warming commandos by continuing to ride all winter long. So long as there is nothing falling out of the sky, and the roads are relatively dry, I ride.

I've got heated jacket liner, gloves and pants liner. These things are so wicked awesome. It was 8F this morning when I left (a new record for me) and still did not turn the heat trollers to max.

On to the point of this post. What recommendations would you other winter riders make as far as a helmet goes? I currently use a rather plain and standard full face with a Fog City applique that prevents fog (for the most part). However, at 8F, I had to stop twice on my 70 mile commute to de-ice the helmet. The visor got all iced up and I could barely see. I've been looking around and have looked at some snow machine helmets (some that have heated visors!).

Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use a Bombardier BV2S modular helmet and it works great. It's made for snowmobiling so it's very warm and it's designed not to fog up. There is a mask inside that covers your mouth/nose and your breath is vented to the outside. Some people don't like the mask on their face but it doesn't bother me. It is also a modular helmet so the front of it opens up if you need to talk to someone you don't have to take off your helmet. It also has a tinted visor inside of the clear visor. You can raise or lower the tinted one while keeping the clear one closed.

Attachments

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
You guys that ride in temps that low are just nuts. But I applaud your determination.

·
red sport.
380 Posts

Thanks.
Monzie, good for you, what kind of Boots & socks do you wear, I take it you wear Chaps or what kind of Pants?

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't ride if there is any chance or precipitation of any kind. Riding in snow and rain has never been done on purpose. If the roads are dry when I start in the morning and there is zero percent chance of rain/snow, I'll ride, otherwise it's the cage.

winmag: Thanks! That's the kind of help I was looking for. I'll give that a look.

Red sport: I have a pair of Bates insulated boots I got at the army/navy store a few years ago. I double up on the socks (taking a pair off when I get to work). I have heated gloves and Gerbings heated pants liner and jacket liner and wear insulated Carhartts over those. As far as comfort goes, I'm and very comfortably warm. My only problem is icing of the visor when it gets below 25 or so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts