Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in upstate NY. It's starting to get chilly. I won't put the bike up til I have to. Which either means it's snowing or they put salt on the roads. It's depressing. Just bought a new bike (new to me) last month. I need to move south or west I guess. When does everyone else put it up for the season?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Here in N.W. Missouri I will be about ready to put it away by mid November. Might still have some afternoons in the upper 50's to low 60's till then. Sure sucks to know it's nearly Winter again though. When I was younger I rode colder but now...................;)
Colt.45

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,786 Posts
Mine sits the same all year round except probably have battery tender on more in winter month, just sits in garage covered and on tender. In upstate New York when winter sets in its probably gonna be there a while :dunno
Last winter I had several days that were nice enough to ride, like Christmas day high was in forties and sunny and quite a few days last winter now that I think about it :think

However: when spring hits and the anticipation of nice warm long summer daze and rides that you've been thinking and waiting for....heck, who I'm I kidding, I'm already anticipating spring :ride

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,106 Posts
I've never put my bike "away". You never know when you might get a sunny day in the middle of winter. She's always ready to roll.

Hell, three years ago I got 5,000 miles between November and April......in Chicago.....that's crazy.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Well, here in the Northwest corner of the country, we have had an incredible summer and fall. but it's raining now and should rain most of the week. But, but, I keep the boys ready to roll when the sun comes out and it's not too cold. Normally though, into November we're pretty much on the shelf until March and April. So lots of polishing and waxing takes place.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,290 Posts
Mine be back out this weekend. Neck is good shape. Might haven to ride to western NY and see about lunch.

·
Official Forum [email protected]
3,582 Posts
Depending on the severity and timing of the snow I'll keep the bike available to ride . Some years I've ridden once or twice every winter month...obviously NOT last winter...:frown

·
luv the low country
20,312 Posts
This will be my second winter in South Carolina.:biking:

·
American
28,686 Posts
Usually around mid November. Not a problem getting it out if weather permits in winter. Usually have too much salt and sand on roads to really ride in winter.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Here in central Missouri I don't totally put mine up, I usally ride through mid Dec and if it starts snowing I will plug her in and take it day by day If there isn't any salt or sand on the road, generally she will stay plugged in 3 months out of the year.

One of these days I am moving south.

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
When you say put your bike away for winter what does that mean? I'm in NEw York city through out the winter I ride if it's sunny and decent temperatures if there snow the bike don't come out. All year long after my ride I cover my bike when it's in the garage

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For me it means that once they salt and sand the roads I'm done riding until the salt and crap is washed off in the first spring rain. I don't mind the cold so much but salt isn't getting anywhere near my ride and sand in the corners is no fun.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Y'all make me glad I live down South. It's that time of year for us on the South Coast to switch to darker T-shirts. But I have this very bad feeling that this is going to be ne of those winters where the bike is not going to see a lot of miles. The guessers say this is going to be a bitter winter with ice and all of that northern stuff, and yes, they use salt down here for that when it happens.

Reactions: JTJ

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
For me it means that once they salt and sand the roads I'm done riding until the salt and crap is washed off in the first spring rain. I don't mind the cold so much but salt isn't getting anywhere near my ride and sand in the corners is no fun.
No salt or sand for me too. I was getting the impression that some where storing the bike to the point where it's not worth pulling it out for a day.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,106 Posts
No salt or sand for me too. I was getting the impression that some where storing the bike to the point where it's not worth pulling it out for a day.

That is very common. Lots of guys store their bikes at the dealer for the winter and don't have access until a certain date in the spring.

·
CVO Captain
742 Posts
That is very common. Lots of guys store their bikes at the dealer for the winter and don't have access until a certain date in the spring.
I see now. I did read winter storage at my dealer. What does it consist of maybe I can get some good tips for my winter storage. I plug in my battery tender only on weekends and keep her covered is there anything else to do

·
Registered
227 Posts
I feel your pain! I used to live in Poughkeepsie, NY before I moved to TX last year. This time of year in the Catskills is hit or miss I tried to keep the bike until Halloween but ended up putting her in storage the weekend before due to random snow showers.

Now that I live in TX I'm loving the weather. It could be 40 out and I'm riding!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As far as storage I have a garage. And it's heated nights and weekends. But I usually keep it covered and keep the battery tender plugged in. That's about all I do just in case we get a decent day. But being in the adirondacks we don't see many nice days after October.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts